Anyone have info on KME Engines

I known supposedly we are going to them for the next series of engines. Anyone have update or info on the rig

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Last thing I heard was they had a lot of work to do with the city as a new vendor. 

Rumor Alert!!!! A guy who works at the KME plant told me they were going to build one demonstrator unit for the city before they get the full order. Not sure how true that is and he hasnt seen the rig yet.

Yes it is true.............One of the mechanics in shops stated that since KME was the lowest bidder .......KME will be making a Demo for the FDNY...........Possibly it will not meet the specs when deleivered..........We will see........

Bulldog

Bulldog
That's certainly something unusual!  Obviously FDNY doesn't have a lot of faith in KME if they're making them do this.  I wonder how long they're going to test the unit before issuing the contract?

Have they ever done this with a new vendor in the past?  I don't remember them doing it with Ferrara.

Just a shot in the dark. Early 80's Emergency-One approached Boston to deliver a contract for 100' aerials. The decision was made for a demo, Ladder 17 was given the demo (E-7-L17), they had their own still/working fire response, but were on ALL seconds+. Ran that rig to death, they went everywhere! In 1985 visited my mother, my wife wanted to visit Boston houses, we were everywhere, downtown (E4/24,E50,E10/AT/R-1. I got to buff BFD from my wife, she said this is probably a one shot issue, you know the house, you know the guys. Guys I went to college @ Bunker Hill CC. I ended up @ E53/L16, a kinda hilly house  response area. Officer from L-16 said they were going through brake pads. They were running a E-One with a single rear axle, they fried the brakes. They were told Chicago ran the same rigs and had NO problems. There are NO hills in Chicago unless you go over a RR overpass. CFD has KME, seems to be a good purchase.

A buddy of mine is in a truck company in Brooklyn .......They have also had problems with there new  rig.....It got to the point where they were calling every days with issues ...They got a small
kids bed put it on the apparatus floor and put a sign on it....
(Ferrera mechanics bed only)

Bulldog

Bulldog
If they don't put it in service was an active company it's not going to prove very much!

If you all remember a few years back E-One had a pumper demo that was given to 290,275,64 and a few other engine companies to use. So it is possible that the same kind of rotation could be used to test a KME.

Yes Mac if they do put a demo with certain companys it would have to be atleast a 3 month period at a time....Choosing the right companys is very important.....E 290 for mostly fire duty, E 275 was for road testing since most of the roads down south are potholes and unpaved....E 64 was used for the inclines were they are located.....

By the time a demo rig its completed and if it is sent to companys for different test purposes I guess the first KME placed in service could see service by mid  2014 providing all goes well...........

Please dont take this out of content............All the engine companys that participated with the demo rig are all busy companys with great guys assigned to them......They were picked so the demo rig would have the different tests conducted under normal conditions.

Not many inclines by E64...... I think a member of the company was on the apparatus committee at the time.

Didnt ALF have a demo engine in the city for a while? I seem to remember a slot on the door to change the company number.

jarhead96 said:
Didnt ALF have a demo engine in the city for a while? I seem to remember a slot on the door to change the company number.

They did.  However, you must remember that the E-One and the ALF were different.  While they build the body to our specs, they did not design the drive-train or the chassis for a specific NYC specification.  That's the important stuff.  Building a body is easy.  Presumably KME will be designing or completely modifying a chassis to meet NYC specific specifications.  Hopefully a demo unit will allow FDNY to avoid some of the Ferrara issues.  The Ferrara isn't all together bad, but it's had more than it's fair share of bugs.  I know the guys in 42 Truck love it, 49...not so much.  29 Truck has been O.O.S. for almost 2 months now.  Clearly 4 Truck is unhappy with theirs.  Who knows.... lotsa kinks to be worked out.

FDNYBuff97 said:
IRISH said:
Which Eng Co will get the demo unit do ye think?? E90 or E75??
It's not going to a company I believe it's just a demo ..

SoHoTruckin20 said:
FDNYBuff97 said:
IRISH said:
Which Eng Co will get the demo unit do ye think?? E90 or E75??
It's not going to a company I believe it's just a demo ..

Im thinking the Rock

The whole point of a Demo Unit lads is to give it to a Co to test it see how she fairs up as has being stated.

The reason i said E90 & 75 is they were the busiest Eng Co's in 2011. I suppose they could give it to 2 or 3 Cos to test week or so at a time in the different environments 

Ours goes oos a lot one of our bosses typed up a 3 page letter and sent it to the higher ups of the job dont know the status of it as of now