Changes coming to 911

Please See: 7/10/13 News & Events, Brooklyn Man Dies in NYPD Custody....
for another Sterling Example of how Well the City's 911 'Upgrade' is workin' out in The Real World.

Famous words "Run extra ambulances." EMS usually runs extra buses during high heat and extreme cold. Easy to say...but this entails overtime and all the city does is cry about money. Can't have it both ways.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Forget extra ems units. We need to put a lot more into ems. More people , supervisors and units.

This is  the busiest ems system , we need to fund as such

68jk09 said:
UFA PRESS CONFERENCE ON FAILED 911 SYSTEM.....    911 system press conference

From the very first post in this thread to the latest involving the UFA of NYC, people knew things were wrong with the system. And now, as we read the stories and see this video, those people who said things were wrong have been proven RIGHT. For some though, it is way too late to fix it.

nfd2004 said:
68jk09 said:
UFA PRESS CONFERENCE ON FAILED 911 SYSTEM.....    911 system press conference

From the very first post in this thread to the latest involving the UFA of NYC, people knew things were wrong with the system. And now, as we read the stories and see this video, those people who said things were wrong have been proven RIGHT. For some though, it is way too late to fix it.
Agreed ...early on problems were recognized & brought to the attention of those in power who chose to ignore the complaints...time has passed & lives have been lost & others suffered needlessly & property has been destroyed uneccesarily .....MAYBE the system can be fixed but those lives can never be brought back...some legacy... but do they really care ?.....seems they do not....they would rather build useless bike lanes & fake mountains & hammocks on Governors Island while the life saving resources like call taking & alarm boxes go down the shitter.

This is a big problem this side of the pond aswell. Ive spoken to Firefighters who tell me they dont get called for MVA's due to cut backs. Instead they will send Ambulance or Police first to access the scene then if needed they will be called out. Seems the same problem in parks for England but they are coming up with a solution

"Ambulance trust trials new messaging service with Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service

The region?s ambulance service has begun a new automated messaging system in Norfolk to enable other emergency services to get to call-outs more quickly.

The new system from the East of England Ambulance Service automatically notifies Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service about traffic incidents where their support may be needed.

The project is being trialled in Norfolk, but could be rolled out to the rest of the region if successful.

An automated SMS message is sent to fire control giving details of the incident when a call comes in, rather than ambulance call handlers having to contact another 999 service.

Ambulance trust manager Nicholas Jones said: ?Since we started the trial in July, we have seen an increase in the amount of incidents that the fire and rescue service attend where patients need to be extricated from vehicles.?

?This enables ambulance crews to concentrate on caring for patients at the scene. This system is currently on trial in Norfolk, but if successful we will be looking at extending it to other kinds of calls and to rolling it out across our region.?

Paul Seaman, group manager and project lead for the fire service added: ?Fire appliances in Norfolk carry personnel that are trained in dealing with trauma and carry equipment to assist them in dealing with these incidents. The earlier we can provide assistance at the roadside the better the chances are of improving patient outcome.?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/ambulance_trust_trials_new_messaging_service_with_norfolk_fire_and_rescue_service_1_2305527

It is apparent to anyone paying the least bit of attention to this on-going debacle that Depty. Mayor Cas Holloway is a 2 Faced Squirming Toad, who?s continued role in this fiasco is an insult
by Mayor Bloomburg to All N.Y.?ers. By allowing him to continue despite the fact that he has the respect of No One connected to this Cluster-F*k, is the Mayor?s way of saying to the Citizens in desperate need, and to those dedicated to working to meet those needs - ?I don?t care what you think, I?m Right, You are Wrong, so, Fek-Off!
Unfortunately for those interested and committed to try and minimize the damage here, it seems
District Council 37 may have blundered in identifying a reported - $300 (+) Million Grant to the City for the project. A City Budget review claims no such Grant was ever received.
However, a $35.9 Million Grant was awarded for the specific purpose of Mobile Vehicle I.D. Units, reportedly for the purpose of being able to Computer I.D. closest available EMS & FDNY Units. ( A legitimate Question here is: Hey, How?s that Whole Thing Comin? Along !?!)
It?s difficult to believe that DC 37 leveled this charge without foundation, so it?ll be interesting what else develops on that front.
All That being said [Whew!], it is comically-fantastic and hypocritical that Bloomberg?s Administration at one point dismisses Controller Liu?s audit as ?Stupid? and ?Dishonest?,
then later cites that audit, as an example of the City?s ?Vigilance? in ?Oversight? in Fiscal
Management of the project. Bloomburg, Holloway and the rest of the misfits in this Administration can?t be run out of town fast enough ! We only hope that on-going investigation after their departure will identify approximately how badly the City got Ripped-Off here and by whom.. And that still leaves the quagmire of making the New CAD System operational.
Can this system perform as needed ? What needs to happen to make that possible ? And, again, Who?s going to Pay for All This ?  :-\

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/liu-vows-block-hp-contracts-article-1.1270530

I have inquired the Daily News:
I was intrigued by the report which stated DC 37 AFSCME had sent a letter to U.S. DHS, citing a $300 Mil. DHS Grant to N.Y.C., but that the City was able to claim such a Grant was not awarded.
I find it difficult to believe that DC 37 would be mistaken in citing this Grant without credible foundation.
I was disappointed that while a copy of the City's letter to DHS was contained in the article, there was no copy or quotation from the DC 37 Letter

If any of the Members here can help w/ a Copy, or a Quote from the DC37 Letter, that would be quite interesting. I strongly Suspect that DC 37 is credible regarding the Grant, but they may have
erred in citing This Particular Grant, for This Particular Piece of the 911 Revamp, and the City is making the most of a Technicality. If that is indeed the case, then they need to be Called-Out for it. Please Pardon my enthusiastic pursuit of this Debacle, but, as a N.Y'er, and Former EMS Provider, it's difficult for me to remain silent.
As many of the Members here have stated- this a horrid story; Lives have been lost and the City, State, and Federal Government have been fleeced for Millions of Dollars. It's beyond time to start calling people to account for this Criminal Disaster.

I am currently employed by a private ambulance company that provides ambulances to NYC 24/7 and it costs NYC absolutly not one penny per year. We have been attempting to NYC to allow us to run more ambulances and FDNY has told us no. What would it cost NYC, nothing and they dont want more units on the streets. They cannot even staff their own units so why not allow us to put more units on the streets???