Changes coming to 911

FD347 said:
IMO, the motivation is probably money. We can't bill anyone you take.

You hit the nail dead on 347. Patient care, nah. Getting the insurance info takes top priority or disciplinary action will be forthcoming. Don't even think I'm joking on this one.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
As far as cost of running non FDNY units.

In the past the city provided alot of the equipment such as radios, MDT's and PCR's
Then add the on dispatching and tracking these units.  There were times when all units at a certian hospital have gone off service at the same time.  So there have been some issues over the years and yes not all had problems.

Today the city makes them pickup the costs and have the same gear and stuff that FDNY EMS uses. 
However I do think FDNY wants more units and less outsiders. With the new tablets and improved billing alot more money comes in these days. 

Normal for the 911 call takers. You'd be lucky if they knew where they lived. It probably doesn't help that there may not be a name/place file in their CAD for buildings in Central Park.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
These two address are about 3 miles away from each other.  With all this new 911 software they should be able to see the location of the caller, landline or cell site. 
I know I have had tickets come over with Madison Ave, but the cell site was on Clinton Street.  Easy to figure out that this should be Madison Street.

Maybe ICAD needs a failsafe.  When NYPD CRO enters an address that is more that XX distance from cell site, prompt the dispatcher  with a message. "Entered Address is not within normal range of cell site" Could even work for landlines.  "Entered address if greater then xx from caller"

Still allow it to be entered, 3rd party callers and lookers from a distance. But force a prompt to make you think.

IMO, the problem is not the equipment, it's the ever increasing pressure to get these runs out as fast as humanly possible. All they get is an address and a code before they send it to us, no cross-street verification until AFTER you're on the road. This was the basic flaw in our own pre-release program the year or so before UCT.

I forget which mayoral puppet said, in effect, at a council meeting that they don't care if they get a few wrong a day. They still did thousands others correctly -- call it an acceptable rate of loss if you will.

HOWEVER, in defense of dispatchers everywhere let me say that there is one thing that none of you in the field will know unless you have answered 911 calls. It's very hard to get accurate information from a person that's screaming, or is irrational and not thinking correctly because their world, their life, their home is in jeopardy. Add to the mix that some people don't know their own address and you have a recipe for disaster. Throw in a supervisor that will write you up for whatever reason they can find and you have NYC 911.

Just another reason why if a "WORKING" Fire Alarm Box is used it can help to pinpoint the location if there is a possible conflict & even though pulling a box provides no voice descriprption it does eliminate any language or accent problems like those that occur on a phone.

In the old days in Boston, and still there. Calls for 25 Lawrence St, receiving box 5286 and 5288. Really narrows it down, right. PS That is my Boston residence B 4 moving!

Just one more page in the uct debacle ..... earlier last night...."SMOKE ON A TRAIN"...responding Unit ask's north or southbound ?....answer "NO ADDITIONAL INFO YET"...Units respond in & find no train in the station....finally after caller interogation ..."THE CALL TO 911 WAS FOR SOMEONE SMOKING A CIGARETTE ON THE TRAIN"....the situation could have had worse results as it happened in Manhattan not too far from the ongoing Second Alarm on 34 St ...if additional Units were needed there but assigned to the pre released "non caller interogated run" the delay possibly could have had disastrous consequences....once again the dice were rolled.

NYPD dealing w/the same crap/lack of info.... Units dispatched to a robbery in a store...Unit asks thier Disp for a description & weapons involved...Disp only replies "no further info .....the run was pre-released "....sound familiar ?

IF NYC HAD WORKING FIRE ALARM BOXES IN ALL AREAS OF THE CITY THIS WOULD HELP TO PINPOINT SOME OF THESE ERRONEOUS/CONFLICTING LOCATIONS & MAYBE SAVE LIVES !

I Do Not Know How I Missed This in March [?!?], maybe it wasn't much-published...?

5/15 NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/removed-head-911-system-article-1.1792698

This High-ranking NYPD Officer was Officially Disciplined (Demoted!), prior to Assignment In-Charge of  911 System Overhaul, despite the fact that he had No Previous Comm. Tech. Experience.

He was 'Reprimanded'  by NYPD for 'Gifts' he received from Verizon, During 911 Overhaul, yet remained on the project. Now, he's been placed on 'Modified Assignment' ('Rubber Gun'...),
After having been bounced from Communications to Transit Div. Commander.

Let's see: A cop who Could Not Stay Out of Trouble, In-Charge of a Communications Center that has Nothing But Trouble !!!    ???

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't look good for him. Between 911 and FirstNet issues, his troubles are not over.