Does fdny use navigation aid

I did a search to make sure this was not asked already but did not find any thing.
Does anyone know if FDNY units are equipped with some sort of navigation system or GPS to help units that relocate to areas they are not familiar with especially when relocating to a different borough to help them find the address when going on run from the house they relocated to. I know the closest box number is used for the address correct me if I'm wrong but does the box number give you general area from where the actual address is.

Don't know about today, but back in the day each house watch desk had an index card box that contained rout cards for each box those companies responded to. It was not unusual to see a particular card stuck in an officer's tie clasp of the relocating company.

Don't know about today, but back in the day each house watch desk had an index card box that contained rout cards for each box those companies responded to. It was not unusual to see a particular card stuck in an officer's tie clasp of the relocating company.
Those are still around for the relocators in case they aren't familiar with the area but some companies put their own in the rigs we had one in ours and also in the 13th Division when I was there.

Those are still around for the relocators in case they aren't familiar with the area but some companies put their own in the rigs we had one in ours and also in the 13th Division when I was there.
Not sure I understand this. What good would a relocator box be for a relocating unit if the box is on the home company rig? I must be missing something here.
But this was a great question by 10-75K and I am still not clear it has been answered yet.

Route cards are still required. Every company now has an IPAD, which is suggested to be carried on the rig. Some chauffeurs find the associated technology easier to use.

Route cards are still required. Every company now has an IPAD, which is suggested to be carried on the rig. Some chauffeurs find the associated technology easier to use.
I’ve seen the route cards over the years, some in index card boxes, others in looseleaf notebooks. I was asked to go retrieve one some years ago when a relocator took it home with them, which I was told is not an uncommon occurrence.
I believe that in my local Bridgeport Connecticut department the officers have a phone app that they use to navigate outside their district but I’m not entirely sure of that. I would think in this day and age the FDNY would have something similar, but then again maybe the old written cards are just easier to deal with.

Route cards worked great when you ran from qtrs, but useless when you were assigned another box when on the air or returning from original box.

Many, many moons ago 132 was relocated to 108. While enroute, we picked up a box. When our officer asked the dispatcher for directions, he was asked what our location was and what direction we were facing. The dispatcher then asked if we could see two columns of smoke. Upon saying "yes", our officer was told we were going to the column on the right. Old school GPS.

Not sure I understand this. What good would a relocator box be for a relocating unit if the box is on the home company rig? I must be missing something here.
But this was a great question by 10-75K and I am still not clear it has been answered yet.
The index card box or loose leaf binder is at the house watch desk or should be anyway unless the relocating company took it with them or as Johnny Gage stated above, the relocating company went on another run via radio while out on the initial box that they looked up in the card file. I hope there are not any grammar teaches reading this run on sentence lol

The index card box or loose leaf binder is at the house watch desk or should be anyway unless the relocating company took it with them or as Johnny Gage stated above, the relocating company went on another run via radio while out on the initial box that they looked up in the card file. I hope there are not any grammar teaches reading this run on sentence lol
I am betting those “teaches” you had were nuns.

The ipads that the company's have do have waze on them and can be used by putting the box number into the an app. Most chauffeurs can use an app on there own phone too. I know I have. It is easier sometimes then using the route cards that each company has in their house watch.
I have used it to get to relocations too.

Thank you, In2theJob. The definitive answer I think we were alll looking for.

Many, many moons ago 132 was relocated to 108. While enroute, we picked up a box. When our officer asked the dispatcher for directions, he was asked what our location was and what direction we were facing. The dispatcher then asked if we could see two columns of smoke. Upon saying "yes", our officer was told we were going to the column on the right. Old school GPS.
Yup on the old recording's we can hear many times Dispatchers giving directions. But I Bel that now the Dispatchers know well their boroughs.

My company took a map book and enlarged the response areas of different companies in Da Bronx and put it in a binder, one page per company. Route cards are great from FH to box but like said above what if you caught another run on the air or if for some reason the directions on the card are blocked and you have to divert. There could be a few problems. Somethings relocators got sent home from a box and took the route card with them. By making maps for each response area the officer could see and help the chauffer get around

I remember a few years back before GPS in the MDT's that the rig bids had a Garmin GPS spec'd. I would think they had the boxes loaded in them. I ended up picking up the same model at the time and loaded the boxes and firehouse locations in it. It worked great.