EMS TRIAL

It is mentioned in the 2007 edition of the operational reference, that a trial was to be undertaken wherebye a non-conveyance rapid response unit staffed by a paramedic supervisor and an EMT was to be fielded, one per Borough.

Did this trial actually happen and if it did what were the results and have any units come into existance from the trial?

Regards

JT

Bulldog

Bulldog
That sounds very much like the "Fly Cars" that many EMS groups across America use on a regular basis. I'm not sure if the EMS side of FDNY uses them or not but I would imagine they do. I don't understand why the proposal was for A Paramedic Supervisor and an EMT to be in the unit. The purpose of fly cars is to get a paramedic to the scene rapidly either as a first due or as a backup for a BLS unit.

That program was affectionately called "Mensa-Medic" and didn't last long. The idea for a boss and a medic to ride together was twofold...the boss could do patrol duties while not on a job and of course a medic to respond to ALS calls. Since the EMS way of doing things has the boss in the station, out of the station, doing this and doing that (you needed a typewriter in the glove compartment of the truck) and copious amounts of paper work. The unions disagreed with this and rightly so for numerous reasons. There was rumors that is was going to start again around 2009 but never happened.

TY, MM. It Makes me wonder then, how is the EMS 'Conditions Car'  Staffed ?

[I've been gone from NYC Way Too Long !]  :-\

Stajo, the conditions car is staffed by the Lt. all by his lonesome. Don't forget, the Conditions boss is the medical branch I.C., Triage & Transport Officer, Staging Officer and Safety Officer at an MCI until another boss comes from God knows where to assist (if one is even sent at all.) A Deputy Chief on the Fire side looked at me one night like I was nuts when I explained this to him. I've been retired five years now and don't miss "Fun City" one bit. Miss the people I worked with but not the job.

Thanks guys.

The new style ford rigs now on the street are they crew cab trucks..??

Looks like the cab door has a small semi door for access to a rear bench seat.

JT

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
You also had the PRU?  Paramedic Response Unit at one time.  Looked like Squad 51 with a Medic Lt and Medic.  I don't remember all the details.

tbendick said:
You also had the PRU?  Paramedic Response Unit at one time.  Looked like Squad 51 with a Medic Lt and Medic.  I don't remember all the details.

I remember that rig. I think it was the only one of it's kind in the city. As I remember, that concept didn't last too long. I think that rig was parked at the Rock for awhile and used to tow fire education trailers around to local schools.

MEMORYMASTER......was the 1980 style Orange & White full size Chevy Blazer's also a type of PRU way before the merge ? 

68jk09 said:
MEMORYMASTER......was the 1980 style Orange & White full size Chevy Blazer's also a type of PRU way before the merge ?

Yes Sir it was...also several 1986 GMC, can't recall the model, small vans, 2 w/d. For the life of me I can't think of the model, sorry.

memory master said:
68jk09 said:

Yes Sir it was...also several 1986 GMC, can't recall the model, small vans, 2 w/d. For the life of me I can't think of the model, sorry.

I correct myself, not 1986, but 1989 or 90 GMC's or Chevy's. There were only a few around.

I believe I have photos of some of these units you might be talking about. Also of many NYPD units. I would sometimes take a ride to 58th St in Queens and photograph police units parked on the street at the police maintenance garage. Then drive further down to get some photos of EMS Units parked at EMS Headquarters.

I believe I have a lot of these photos on a disk. I don't know how to post them and as I understand it, it can be quite time consuming. But if somebody might be interested in doing that, and maybe starting a separate thread for NYPD and FDNY/EMS photos, which includes I believe, some of the Health and Hospitals Units pre FDNY merge, send me a pm. I'll get your address and make up a disk to send you.

I just need to go through a few of my photo disk if somebody is willing to do it. "R1SmokeEater" did many for me on Flickr of FDNY units. I certainly am not indicating for him to do it. I think he's got a young family at home, plus working F/T. But somebody else who might be interested, let me know.

Bill you gave me a whole bunch too.

Is this the one in question??

9a6cxz.jpg

anesti said:
Bill you gave me a whole bunch too.

Is this the one in question??

9a6cxz.jpg

Anesti, I don't believe that is the rig that "68jk09" might be referring to. I think the one might be more of a Scout/Jeep type vehicle. It might have been what some of the EMS Bosses were driving before the merger.

The picture that you posted might be the vehicle that was later painted in the FDNY colors to tow the fire safety trailers around.

Also, as I remember the EMS had a unit very similar to the smaller NYPD Emergency Service trucks as their Emergency Service Unit. I remember being told that the members assigned to it had extra training maybe similar to Rescue Medics of today. I believe that unit was stationed out of East 85th St (?) in Brooklyn. It was an EMS station as well as a shops area as I remember.

Maybe Lt Bendick or M.M. (?) can help us out as I believe they were working EMS around that time.

anesti...yes the Blazer  in reply 17 was the one i was thinking about  as a PRU.....the one w/the utility body & push bumper looks more like a repair vehicle.