Engine 165

Bulldog

Bulldog
Why is everybody pushing so hard for 165 to get a new squad type rig ASAP?  They are the only and & Co. in the cities that I'm aware of that has a squad type rig, why should they be so special?  Especially now that there is going to be a true Squad on the island.

C

capthale

Well the Capt of that hmtu engine requested it for s reason that was to carry the extra gear I don?t think they were trying to. A squad most  fire Dept are going rescue style engines anyways I bet in five Years fdny goes to an all rescue style engine. I?m just surprised the other hmtu engines didn?t ask for one too

C

capthale

Why was fdny not prepared for this transition anyways? We?re is the spare squad or reserve squad they could have used why take away from a unit that is already established. Poor planning just my opinion

Bulldog said:
In2theJob said:
It was announced in the paper as being Squad 8.
Since we all know how accurately newspapers report things I'm sure most of us took leave story about the new squad was a huge grain of salt!

Thew news media reported on the facts that were presented with the press conference, but sure, go ahead and baselessly blame the media for doing their job.

Bulldog

Bulldog
capthale said:
I wonder if rescue 5 will keep there current status
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, they are going to remain a full-fledged rescue company.  That incident might changes that they may be pulled off the island a little more often during major incidents as long as the squad is still in service.

capthale said:
Sorry I was referring to there hazmat status

Rescue 5 is no longer a primary hazmat tech unit, and is only to be used if e165 is unavailable in SI,
And 250 and sq1&252 are unavailable in the 40,42&43 battalions

JA290 said:
capthale said:
Sorry I was referring to there hazmat status

Rescue 5 is no longer a primary hazmat tech unit, and is only to be used if e165 is unavailable in SI,
And 250 and sq1&252 are unavailable in the 40,42&43 battalions
R-5 will be like all the rest of the Rescue Comp now , still trained as HazMat tech but won't be primary response , Sq-8 & E-165 will be primary for Haz Mat on. SI.

C

capthale

I bet squad 8 gets rescue 5 bread truck for the interim until they get a new second piece.

C

capthale

I mentioned early that Ferrara was making a New hmtu unit according to faj it was delivered but nor assigned now I?m thinking it would go to squad 8 was it gets outfitted. The article states it?s a little different then the regular hmtu second piece so I?m guessing maybe fdny is going with the custom 4 door rather then the freighliner. Maybe it will hold up a little better then the freight liners I hope.

So you have inside info that states the frieghtliners aren?t holding up that well???

capthale said:
Well the Capt of that hmtu engine requested it for s reason that was to carry the extra gear I don?t think they were trying to. A squad most  fire Dept are going rescue style engines anyways I bet in five Years fdny goes to an all rescue style engine. I?m just surprised the other hmtu engines didn?t ask for one too
I highly doubt that, the squad style rigs have some drawbacks , the two major ones are they are longer then the regular engines , so squeezing into tight place or trying to get on a hydrant and out of the way is very difficult for some of the Squads . Not totally sure but I believe they are at lest 3' longer . Three feet is a lot when your trying to get on a hydrant and keep your ass end from sticking out into the street .

The second issue is the hose beds , they carry a lot less hose then normal engines and only three beds of hose off the back step ...only one 1 3/4 bed !  Being third due to on of the Squads truly sucks ! There's no pulling just past the fire building and dropping TWO 1 3/4 lines and driving to the hydrant (Back stretching). Most of the engines that are second or third due to a Squad have to carry lengths of folded up 1 3/4 hose , hump then to the back step of the Squad and hand connect their folded up hose then hand stretch to the front of the fire building.. A true pain in the ass and a delay in getting the
second line into operation .

Engine Ops is still the bread n butter of the HMTU Engine company , so I'm pretty sure those Capt would perfer a normal rig and get the wet stuff on the red stuff much easier !

TLTruckie said:
capthale said:
I highly doubt that, the squad style rigs have some drawbacks , the two major ones are they are longer then the regular engines , so squeezing into tight place or trying to get on a hydrant and out of the way is very difficult for some of the Squads . Not totally sure but I believe they are at lest 3' longer . Three feet is a lot when your trying to get on a hydrant and keep your ass end from sticking out into the street .

The second issue is the hose beds , they carry a lot less hose then normal engines and only three beds of hose off the back step ...only one 1 3/4 bed !  Being third due to on of the Squads truly sucks ! There's no pulling just past the fire building and dropping TWO 1 3/4 lines and driving to the hydrant (Back stretching). Most of the engines that are second or third due to a Squad have to carry lengths of folded up 1 3/4 hose , hump then to the back step of the Squad and hand connect their folded up hose then hand stretch to the front of the fire building.. A true pain in the ass and a delay in getting the

Engine Ops is still the bread n butter of the HMTU Engine company , so I'm pretty sure those Capt would perfer a normal rig and get the wet stuff on the red stuff much easier !
I never realized that companies than run in with E165 had to do this simply to stretch lines. Namely E162, E159, E161, E163 all companies that run in 2nd-3rd Due with 165. I?m sure when 165 gets 154s old rig, it?ll be a flashback to simpler times when at a job ?

TLTruckie said:
capthale said:

I have been out for a while, but the Squads in the Bronx carried folded up lengths of 1 3/4" hose with a nozzle and reducer in the roll up compartment on the backstep for a second line. There was no need for 2nd or 3rd due to bring hose to the rig for a second line.

turk132 said:
TLTruckie said:
capthale said:

I have been out for a while, but the Squads in the Bronx carried folded up lengths of 1 3/4" hose with a nozzle and reducer in the roll up compartment on the backstep for a second line. There was no need for 2nd or 3rd due to bring hose to the rig for a second line.
That may still be true , not sure either but either way it's more work for the second or third due eng.