Engine 165

turk132 said:

2 beds of  6 lengths of 1 3/4" hose, reducer, 10 lengths of 2 1/2' (6/10)

Thank you "turk" for providing that photo of Engine 48's hose bed and answering our question.

For the members who may not be aware, "turk132" was the Engine Company Chaffer (ECC) of Engine 48 during a time when "48" was one of, or perhaps "the busiest Engine Co within the FDNY - in both runs and structural work".

turk132 said:

2 beds of  6 lengths of 1 3/4" hose, reducer, 10 lengths of 2 1/2' (6/10)
In the FDNY it is mandated that 6 lengths of 1 3/4 " is the maximum number of lengths that should ever be in a stretch or there will be serious friction loss problems... if the stretch requires more than 6 lengths that is why it would then be filled out with 2 1/2 " as set up in the Bed pictured....any ENG or SQ that i was assigned to or later had in my BN i always had the amount of 3 1/2 " increased from the standard load of 10 lengths to at least 14 or 15 for supply purposes....it can either be packed slightly hanging off the back or the front folds can turned up.....every ENG has extra lengths in the FH (or you can requisition all you want).....better to have extra with you not back in Qtrs.

HCO

Some further background of turk132:  After his promotion to lieutenant. and assignment to a few units, he became the "second uniformed guy" at the Mand Library and worked there prior to his retirement.

HCO said:
Some further background of turk132:  After his promotion to lieutenant. and assignment to a few units, he became the "second uniformed guy" at the Mand Library and worked there prior to his retirement.

Great place to work!

The supply line is 3 1/2" hose with 3" butts. I think I remember hearing that the boats had 3 1/2" hose with 3 1/2" butts. I never remember reducing a large diameter line down as that would restrict the advantage of high water capacity and low friction loss.

C

capthale

NIce is the 3 1/2 used by the engine companies to hook up to the building for water supply?

The 3 1/2 is used to supply large caliber streams such as tower ladders, ladder pipes and sometimes portable Akron New Yorker, it is also used for relay and inline pumping plus supplying standpipes and sprinkler systems. Never saw a gated wye used on end of line during operation. Have seen 3 1/2 used to fill out an unusually long stretch into subway emergency exit during train car fire deep underground so a lot of improvisation to get line down was used. 3 1/2 reduced into 2 1/2 and lastly down to 1 3/4.

This is Boston Engine 4's 1970 1250GPM Hahn at a multiple alarm job in 1979 in the North End. Chances are they were first or second due. Their second piece was a 1500GPM 3-stage pump hose wagon. They may also have been hooked up to the high-pressure system.

C

capthale

I have received the ops book and have been reading thru it hopefully I can answer slot of my own questions. I did read that there are no special engines assigned to the satellite units anymore since they all have 2000gpm pumpers now 

capthale said:
I have received the ops book and have been reading thru it hopefully I can answer slot of my own questions. I did read that there are no special engines assigned to the satellite units anymore since they all have 2000gpm pumpers now
Each Satellite does have a associated ENG in the Qtrs the SAT is housed as well as a designated backup ENG in case the original ENG is out.

C

capthale

I mean there?s nobody dedicated engine that has to pump to the satellite because all the engines are 2000gpm is that correct?

capthale said:
I mean there?s nobody dedicated engine that has to pump to the satellite because all the engines are 2000gpm is that correct?

l would say correct as 20 so yrs ago only the sat engines / pumps were 2000 gpm and now all ( except squads 1000gpm ) are 2000 gpms

C

capthale

I was thinking of it and the discussion earlier about having two lines off an engine was max  So if an engine is pumping got a satellite that is feeding 4  or six lines it must be really taxing it unless there?s multiple engines supplying the satellite

^^^ As far as some of the above questions regarding the SAT's .... yes today other than the Associated ENG other 2000 Gal Pumpers are capable of supplying a SAT 
but the "Associated ENG & the Designated Backup ENG are well versed in the operations of the SAT & it's capabilities" 

Bulldog

Bulldog
Nasibova said:
l would say correct as 20 so yrs ago only the sat engines / pumps were 2000 gpm and now all ( except squads 1000gpm ) are 2000 gpms
Does anyone know the reason that squads don't have 2000 GPM pumps?  I know they are slightly larger but not that much difference that it would change the dimensions of the pumphouse.  The way squads run they are just as likely to be required to pump large flows of water especially in areas that they are first do on.

Squads carry much more in the way of tools and saws so compartments are larger and configuration of hose bed allows for 3 beds not usual 4. Also i assume same goes for pump sizes and that 1,000 gpm pump takes up less space, also total weight could be a factor too.

BCR

The 2000 gpm pumps would really only need that kind of capacity if they were supplying satellites or relay pumping. While a squad could perform those tasks, the odds of them doing that are slim to none. It would be more important for the squad to be close to the scene with there extra tools than to be tied down to a satellite or several blocks away relay pumping