FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

Administrator
SI Battalion boundaries map - 1960s:

SI Notes:

- No additional SI BNs organized in past 87 years
    - BN 22 and BN 23 same locations (L 79 in W. Brighton and E 162 in Great Kills)
    - BN 21 relocated from E 153 in Stapleton to E 152 Rosebank (closer to VN Bridge and Hylan Blvd corridor)
    - New SI companies since 1965 - E 167, E 168, L 87
    - 4 new SI firehouses since 1965 - E 167/L 87; E 154; E 168, M 9
    - Rescue 5 reorganized (deactivated 1962-1984) - but also covers Bklyn 

mack

Administrator
Historical Staten Island firehouses:

http://www.silive.com/timecapsule/2016/03/vintage_photos_of_staten_islan_2.html

Notes -
      - Hose 7 (which then became Engine 159) was organized in the old volunteer Dongan Hills Hose Co 7 firehouse.

- Robinson Hose Co 9 firehouse still exists as a private dwelling.

- Alert Hose was active 1885-1905 and was a company in the North Shore Fire Department, a volunteer department which protected SI prior to FDNY.

- Oceanic H&L 1 and Richmond Engine Co 1 still respond as active volunteer companies from their original firehouses in Travis and Richmondtown.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oceanic+fire+staten+island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JReoObMBVeo

- Engine 161's original quarters still exists as a private dwelling on Father Cappodano Blvd in South Beach.

- Castleton Fire Patrol 1 performed salvage operations similar to New York Fire Patrol

- Rossville H&L 1 old firehouse still stands on Arthur Kill Road near Engine 168 in Rossville.

- Rescue 5 and Division 8 respond along with Engine 160 from their Concord firehouse.

- Ladder 81 was originally planned to occupy quarters with Engine 160 but instead was located at Engine 159 in Dongan Hills and then at Engine 161 when Ladder 85 was organized in 1960.

Engine 161 and Engine 152, single companies, were assigned 1951 WLF Quads due to distance of ladder companies prior to relocation of Ladder 81 to McLean Ave firehouse in 1960.

- Ladder 78 was original organized as Ladder 103 FDNY and staffed Rescue 5 1948-1962.  Ladder 78 was staffed with an officer and 7 or 8 FFs.  When truck responded to a fire, a FF remained in quarters with Rescue 5 rig (converted hose wagon by Ladder 78 members).  If alarm for Rescue 5 was received, FF responded with Rescue 5 apparatus to Ladder 78 location and members would then respond to Rescue 5 call. 

- Engine 151/Ladder 76 were reorganized from 1974-1977 to form Combined Fire Co 131 called by SI dispatchers "The Combo".  - thanks t123ken

- Engine 157 was organized as Engine 207 FDNY at 51 Cottage Place in Port Richmond, former volunteer firehouse of Washington Engine 1.

51 Cottage Place also was the first firehouse of the 22nd Battalion and still exists as a church:

mack

Administrator
FDNY expanded to Staten Island in 1905, 7 years after Staten Island became part of NYC.  New FDNY companies were located only on the North Shore of SI with two companies at the extreme southern end in Tottenville.  New FDNY companies operated from disbanded volunteer firehouses. Remaining volunteer fire companies continued to provide fire protection to rest of SI until new companies were organized. SI companies were renumbered in 1913 along with Brooklyn and Queens units.

FDNY slowly added new companies in SI: Engine 160 (1915); Engine 162/Ladder 82 (1928); Battalion 23 (1930); Engine 163/Ladder 83 (1932); then Engine 164/Ladder 84 (1937). 

mack said:
      - Engine 151/Ladder 76 were reorganized from 1974-1977 to form Combined Fire Co 131 called by SI dispatchers "The Combo".

I'm pretty sure that photo above is of Red Hook's Ladder 131, not the truck of CFC 131.
By the street signs the rig's in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, and since both the engine and truck in a CFC always responded together, I doubt they came from Tottenville.

mack

Administrator
t123ken said:
mack said:
      - Engine 151/Ladder 76 were reorganized from 1974-1977 to form Combined Fire Co 131 called by SI dispatchers "The Combo".

I'm pretty sure that photo above is of Red Hook's Ladder 131, not the truck of CFC 131.
By the street signs the rig's in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, and since both the engine and truck in a CFC always responded together, I doubt they came from Tottenville.

You are right - my mistake.  I did not look close enough. 

I am pretty sure L 76 had a tower ladder when they became a CFC with Engine 151 and I posted too quickly.

Thanks for the correction.

CFC 131 did have a tower ladder.

By the way, here's a link to a better photo of the old Robinson Hose Company 9 at 528 Van Duzer Street where you can see the company's I.D. in the stained glass (I can't seem to post the image):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/145168108@N08/29103230972

mack

Administrator
t123ken said:
CFC 131 did have a tower ladder.

By the way, here's a link to a better photo of the old Robinson Hose Company 9 at 528 Van Duzer Street where you can see the company's I.D. in the stained glass (I can't seem to post the image):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/145168108@N08/29103230972

Picture is much better.  You can clearly see the stain glass window.  Thanks again.

mack

Administrator
Combined Fire Companies had 5 captains, no lieutenants and 51 firefighters.  There were assigned a "rapid water" pumper and a 75 foot tower ladder.  Both sections responded as one unit when assigned on an alarm.  They operated from 1974 to 1977 during the city financial crisis.

Yes indeed, 331/173 on Cross Bay Blvd. E325/L163, E297/L130 all had the same set of rigs as pictured here. The 1960 Ward LaFrance "Firebrand" pumper and a 1955 FWD 75' wooden aerial TDA. I believe those rigs, second hand of course,  were the first for 331/173 when the house was opened.

mack

Administrator
68jk09 said:
mack said:
Companies?

ENG*331 & LAD*173.

Thanks Chief.  Thanks Manhattan.  I was misled by the cropped picture.  It looked like there was an angle at top of the image - at the center of the apparatus door - and then some different geometry - which was the white boarder of the picture.  But when you identified the firehouse, I could see that it was simply that the picture was cropped starting at the center of the apparatus door.

Is there art on the front of the engine?  Looks like maybe two small symmetrical lightening bolts on both sides of the "FDNY".  Maybe just marks on the picture.

Ladder 173 was a 1955 wooden 75 foot FWD aerial with added civil disturbance roof cover.  Maybe protection for tiller, too.  I believe they were the last wooden aerial ladders for FDNY.  The added roof looks clumsy because it extends beyond the sides of the apparatus - for safety. It was dangerous to be exposed in open cabs, on the back step of pumpers and on sides of ladder apparatus, especially when responding 10 or 20 times a day when attacks on firefighters happened so frequently.     

mack

Administrator
Engine 331/Ladder 173  Firehouse  158-57 Cross Bay Boulevard  Howard Beach, Queens  13th Division, 51st Battalion

Engine 331 organized Main Street, Worlds Fair w/Engine 331-2                  1938
    Engine 331 disbanded                                                                            1941
    Engine 331 organized 158-57 Cross Bay Boulevard w/Ladder 173                1966

Engine 331-2 organized Main Street, Worlds Fair w/Engine 331                  1938
    Engine 331-2 disbanded                                                                          1941

Ladder 173 organized 158-57 Cross Bay Boulevard w/Engine 331                1966

Blaze organized 158-57 Cross Bay Boulevard at Engine 331                        1968
    Blaze disbanded                                                                                      1970

Marine 3 Small Boat Opns organized 158-57 Cross Bay Blvd at Engine 331  1996
        Operates May-October, 0800-1900 hrs.

Rear of quarters was designed with a 12 ft wharf for FDNY and NYPD marine units to operated in Shellbank Basin. 

Engine 331 1939 Worlds Fair:

Engine 331-2 1939 Worlds Fair:

1939 Worlds Fair Fire Department:

In September 1938, the FDNY 55th Battalion was formed and stationed at the Fair to man the apparatus. It included three Battalion Chiefs, fourteen company officers, and seventy firemen manning one double and two single engine companies. In addition, sixty-five "Fire Guards" were organized as a private force of retired FDNY members hired by the New York World's Fair Corporation. They operated in a fire prevention capacity, inspecting buildings and patrolling the grounds during the hours that the Fair was open to the public. The Battalion and the Fire Guard were disbanded in 1940 shortly after the close of the Fair. The apparatus was given to the FDNY.

http://www.1939nyworldsfair.com/worlds_fair/wf_tour/misc/NYFD_01.htm

158-57 Cross Bay Boulevard:

Engine 331:

Ladder 173:

Blaze: 

Engine 331/Ladder 173 responding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfg9gzrbCg

Ladder 173 LODDs:

LT Robert J. Cahill, Ladder 173, heart attack, Queens box 22-2020, February 16, 1982

CAPT Vinny Fowler, Ladder 173, trapped in basement, Queens box 22-8943, Thursday June 3, 1999

RIP.  Never forget.

Howard Beach: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Beach,_Queens

mack

Administrator
Captain Vinny Fowler Ladder 173

"Friday, June 4, 1999. Just 1 day shy of the 1st anniversary of the death of Lieutenant James Blackmore (77-55-2044 6/5/98) the purple & black bunting again dons a firehouse.
99-22-8943 - Thursday June 3, 1999
The South Ozone Park section of Queens is a quiet tree-lined community with rows of detached wood frame houses. The resident of 150-28 127 Street had just returned home from picking up his wife from work. Upon entering the house he discovered that his lights were out and he went to investigate.

In the basement, the circuit breaker panel had overheated and started a fire in the walls. At 1855 hours the alarm was transmitted with ladder 173 first due. Captain Vincent Fowler entered the basement to find the seat of the fire. Followed closely by probationary Fire Fighter Paul Torns, they clambered down a narrow flight of stairs and encountered Colliers Mansion type conditions.

A few minutes after water started the alarm went off in Paul Torns' mask. Under optimum conditions he had 6 minutes of air left. Captain Fowler ordered everyone out of the basement. The water was having no effect and the ceiling was beginning to give way. In the confusion Fowler lost track of Torns. He called out and started searching for him just as his bottle emptied.

Torns found him and gave Fowler a few shots of air from what remained in his tank. In the blinding smoke and confusion both men were unsure of the way out of the basement. With his last breath, Fowler yelled a Mayday into his radio and lost consciousness. Torns tried in vain to drag Fowler out of the basement but debris impeded his progress.

Help quickly arrived but it still took about 15 minutes to get out of the building. Captain Fowler was not breathing. He was brought to Jamaica Hospital where doctors had to restart his heart multiple times.

Amongst the family members that were keeping a vigil at the hospital was his father, retired Battalion Chief Vincent Fowler, brother Fire Fighters John & Andy Fowler, his wife, & 3 daughters.

At 1235 hours of June 4, Captain Fowler lost his last fight. Signal 5-5-5-5 rang out for the 771st time. In keeping with the highest tradition of the Department, Captain Fowler sacrificed his life for that of his 'Proby.'"

- from FDNewYork.com website  http://www.fdnewyork.com/

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS - HERO FIRE CAPTAIN DIES WAS TRYING TO SAVE MEN IN BASEMENT WHEN CEILING FELL

Saturday, June 5, 1999, 12:00 AM

BY  Leslie Casimir, Martin Mbugua, Don Singleton, Robert Gearty

'It was a hot, smoky fire in the basement of the small Queens ranch home, and when Capt. Vincent Fowler sensed that the first floor was about to collapse, he ran into the thick of it to get his firefighters out. He saved them, but the heroic deed was his last. At 9:35 yesterday morning, 14 hours after he was carried, motionless, from the smoky chaos of the South Ozone Park home, Fowler died in Jamaica Hospital. He was 46. Both of his families were at his side. First there was the family that includes his wife and three grown daughters, his three brothers two of them New York City firefighters his mother and his father, a retired battalion chief. And solemnly standing around the third floor of the hospital was the larger family, the firefighters with whom he had served over his 21-year career, including some of those he gave his life to save. It hadn't looked like a particularly dangerous blaze when Fowler's Ladder Co. 173 pulled up in front of the red brick house at Old South Road and 127th St. minutes after the alarm came in at 6:55 p.m. But the blaze was especially stubborn. A second alarm brought more than 32 units with 121 firefighters. Before the fire was brought under control 11/2 hours later, there were 17 injuries.

And the one death followed the next day. Lt. James Earle was in serious condition at New York Weill Cornell Hospital Center. "What we thought was a routine fire turned into a nightmare," Firefighter Terry Horn of Engine 331 said yesterday as he stood outside the firehouse his company shares with Ladder 173 on Cross Bay Blvd. in Howard Beach. "It still hasn't hit me.

" A grim Mayor Giuliani and Fire Commissioner Thomas Von Essen were at the hospital. Giuliani said, "Capt. Vincent Fowler died because he put his life at risk to try to save the lives of other people. He died a hero.

" In the basement of the South Ozone Park home, events unfolded quickly. Fowler was a "very experienced guy," Von Essen said. "I think [he] knew what was going to happen, started to get everybody out.

" The basement ceiling farthest from the stairs collapsed, firefighters said. "He either went
into cardiac arrest . . . or ran out of air [in his breathing apparatus] and went into cardiac arrest," the commissioner said. Von Essen said pulling the strapping 6-foot-2 captain from the basement was unusually difficult. "He was a very big man," Von Essen said. "He was soaking wet. They had a very tough time dragging him out . . . because a lot of debris had started to come down on him. [It was] a very narrow part of the basement, very narrow stairway with a very difficult turn. "It took them quite a while to get him up those stairs, and all that time he was not breathing. So it was a long time without any oxygen to his brain, and that's what killed him.

" Fire officials said the blaze was electrical in origin. "There appeared to be questionable wiring throughout the house," one official said. Fowler joined the department in 1978 and had received three commendations. He leaves his wife, Ramona, and three daughters, Dina, 21, Amy, 18 and Stephanie, 15. Outside the Fowlers' home on Giller Ave. in Holbrook, L. I., neighbors mourned. "Oh, God, I can't believe it," said Donna Hayden, 48. "He always had you laughing . . . never serious. He was that kind of a guy.

" Graphic: RECENT FALLEN HEROES Fighting fires is a dangerous job that has claimed the lives of more than 750 of the New York's Bravest in the FDNY's 134-year history. Here are some of the most recent fatalities: Dec. 18, 1998: Lt. Joseph Cavalieri, 42, and Firefighters James Bohan, 25, and Christopher Bopp, 27, are killed by a fireball while battling a blaze at a senior citizens apartment building in Brooklyn. June 5, 1998: Lt. James Blackmore, 48, is killed while searching for a woman reported to be trapped inside a burning three-story Brooklyn building. The woman had already escaped. Capt. Scott LaPiedra, 40, injured while battling the blaze, dies 29 days later. April 29, 1998: Firefighter Ray Nakovics, 49, dies after suffering a heart attack while battling a blaze in Hell's Kitchen. Feb. 5, 1996: Firefighter Louis Valentino, 37, dies after a roof collapses during a Brooklyn blaze. Jan. 6, 1996: Firefighter James Williams, 38, dies after opening a door while battling a blaze in Far Rockaway, Queens, and being hit by flames. Jan. 1, 1996: Lt. John Clancy, 35, is killed when a landing collapses in a Jamaica, Queens, building. Oct. 8, 1995: Firefighter Peter McLaughlin, 31, is consumed by a backdraft while searching for survivors of a Long Island City, Queens, fire. March 7, 1995: Lt. Raymond Schiebel, 49, suffers a fatal heart attack while battling a blaze in Brooklyn. Dec. 27, 1994: Probationary Firefighter Thomas Wylie, 30, is killed in a Chinatown blaze. Aug. 7, 1994: Capt. Wayne Smith, 37, is badly burned in a Jackson Heights, Queens, fire and dies 56 days later. June 5, 1994: Lt. George Lener, 41, dies in an arson fire in lower Manhattan. March 28, 1994: A fireball in a SoHo building takes the lives of Capt. John Drennan, 49, and Firefighters James Young, 31, and Christopher Siedenburg, 25. Notes: The was the Front Page story in the National edition

Vinny Fowler Sr was my first LT when i was assigned to 108...he was a US Marine & an late '50s early '60s 123 FF....i had known his Son Vinny Jr since he was a young age & i sold him his 1st car....he like his Dad was a FF in 123 when i was in R*2 in a neighboring FH....he then was a LT in LAD*7 then was Covering as a CPT in DV*13....he like his Dad was very knowledgeable & Respected....he was always drilling & coming up w/ideas to make Fire Ops better.....i had been Promoted to BC just before his death & he was Covering in 173 but was a front runner to get my former spot in 126 when the opening appeared on the Dept Order.....I was at Jamaica Hosp  when he was pronounced after repeated attempts to revive him....very sad time...there is a Public school named in his Honor on 109 Ave & 108 St  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lYdo8kOoGU  REST IN PEACE TO FATHER & SON.

In regard to reply # 1875 above the art referred to is in fact lightning bolts left over from when this was 216s Rig ...they were part of their "Shazam" superhero logo when they had the Rig new. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)#/media/File:Captainmarvel.JPG

68jk09 said:
In regard to reply # 1875 above the art referred to is in fact lightning bolts left over from when this was 216s Rig ...they were part of their "Shazam" superhero logo when they had the Rig new. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)#/media/File:Captainmarvel.JPG
  Yes, E216 had that 1960 WLF (#5932) until 1968. E331's first rig was a 1946 WLF w/booster tank (#2209) that was originally assigned to E158. Ladder 173's 1955 FWD 75ft. stick was shop #381 that was originally assigned to L121 until they got their first metal aerial, a 1960 Mack/Maxim 85ft. (#440) in 1960 then was reassigned to L137 until 1968 when L137 got L120's 1963 Seagrave 100ft. (#474). That means L173 had another rig between 1966 & 1968.  I checked listings of 1937-41 Seagraves and 1940 Ahrens-Foxes so I'll bet it was a 1936 or 1938 FWD 85ft.. 

mack

Administrator
guitarman314 said:
68jk09 said:
  Yes, E216 had that 1960 WLF (#5932) until 1968. E331's first rig was a 1946 WLF w/booster tank (#2209) that was originally assigned to E158. Ladder 173's 1955 FWD 75ft. stick was shop #381 that was originally assigned to L121 until they got their first metal aerial, a 1960 Mack/Maxim 85ft. (#440) in 1960 then was reassigned to L137 until 1968 when L137 got L120's 1963 Seagrave 100ft. (#474). That means L173 had another rig between 1962 & 1966.  I checked listings of 1937-41 Seagraves and 1940 Ahrens-Foxes so I'll bet it was a 1936 or 1938 FWD 85ft..

1960 WLF FireBrand - Engine 331 - formerly Engine 216:

1955 FWD 75 ft aerial w/ civil disturbance protection - Ladder 173:

- Thanks Chief, Gman.

The Firebrands were one of the few Rigs that allowed for the FF s to get off on either side of the Rig depending on "conditions" on arrival...the motor was in between the OFF & Chauf &  the back part of the partially open crew cab had a bench seat open from side to side ... FFs back then usually rode the back step but in known times of unrest going to certain Boxes riding up front was a better choice.

mack

Administrator
68jk09 said:
The Firebrands were one of the few Rigs that allowed for the FF s to get off on either side of the Rig depending on "conditions" on arrival...the motor was in between the OFF & Chauf &  the back part of the partially open crew cab had a bench seat open from side to side ... FFs back then usually rode the back step but in known times of unrest going to certain Boxes riding up front was a better choice.

The Firebrand was the first commercially-available, cab-forward, apparatus chassis built by Ward LaFrance.  The full width cab featured seating for up to seven.  It was introduced in 1959 and only a limited number of them were built.  FDNY placed 16 in service.  Engine 298's FireBrand, along with Ladder 127's apparatus was destroyed in the 13 alarm (equivalent) 1967 Jamaica Gas Fire:

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/August-2017-Jamaica-Gas-Leak-13-Alarms.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.