FDNY Auxiliary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing alot about FDNY auxiliary and wanted to know what did they do, were they firefighters, why and when did they disband them. Thanks

Auxiliary Firefighters would ride along with a company and assist with duties outside the fire building. As an example you might assist the pump operator hooking up to the hydrant, straighten kinks in hose and help repack the hose. I had a friend who was an auxiliary with Eng 91. I believe they wore yellow helmets with the regular company insert. In 1975 the budget crisis closed about  fifty companies, and manning was cut from apparatus, the union membership asked auxiliaries not to ride. Add to the fact that these companies were cut during the busy War Years for the FDNY. I don"t think there was any problems getting the auxies, NOT to ride after what the FDNY had went through. As I can tell, that basically ended it for the Auxiliaries.

As a former auxiliary, I agree with most of the details listed.  In my company, there were no restrictions on hours worked and I frequently worked the entire night shift.  I also agree that the fiscal crisis caused the end of the system.  It was great while it lasted.

johnd248 said:
It was great while it lasted.

Wishful thinking aside, I'm really surprised that the program did not re-materialize in the months following 9/11.  The City was promoting all sorts of volunteerism, encouraging the formation of "CERT's" (Community Emergency Response Teams), recruiting for the Aux. Police, and etc.    The Auxiliary Fire program would have been a natural.

In today's environment, I don't think it would fly.  There's a tremendous amount of resentment around the job aimed at "vollies."  Though I diasagree with that sentiment, the prevailing thought amongst "vollie haters" is doing it for free undermines the union and takes away jobs.  Nonsense but many subscribe to that way of thinking. Not only that, but the union has been fighting to get the engines staffed with 5 ff's while the city has been quietly talking about closing companies.  So, I doubt if an auxilary ff (helping for "free") would be welcomed in "the kitchen." JMO

H

HAZ-MAT 1

Years ago they tried this with my department. The captain on duty asked this guy where he worked and his bosses name and number. When the guy asked why he told him he wanted to call his boss and tell him he wanted to do this guys job for free. The guy got the point and left the station.
I think that while we can always use the help on the fire ground, sometimes you have to be carefull of what you ask for. You don't want to have to watch your own butt and have to worry about someone else's that is maybe less trained or not trained at all.
I always looked at it this way. If your not getting paid to do a job you are more likely to walk away when the $#!T hits the fan. I like working with my guys because I know what they will do in an extreme situation. But then again everyone has to prove themselves one time or another

The auxiliary was set up during WW1 disbanded at the end of the war then re-established during WW2. They were part of the civil defense force that was well known during those times, as they were expecting bombers to fly over major US cities and level everything like what was being done in Britain.  During the 2 wars they were needed and it wasn't looked at by the paid guys that they were a threat to their jobs. What needs to get done and how can I help were the rallying motto's back in those days. These days they would get the evil eye not because we have things against the act of volunteerism but because it's a threat to how we make a living and support our families in a world of cost cutting economics. 

In the nine years I rode with Engine 248 and Battalion 41, there were probably three times when the company union delegate would politely ask me not to ride for a while.  I always agreed because I felt I was not there to take anyone's job away, but rather help out when needed.  As a result, I had a fantastic time working with all of the guys.

The problem was that many companies, such as Engine 240, had Ward LaFrance rigs as their regular pieces that almost identical to the CD pumpers.  The CD pumpers were kept as spares, but I cannot say where they were stored.  Back then the 41 Battalion included 249/113, 310, 248, 255/157, 281/147, and 250; there were no CD rigs in those houses.

Did the aux. go through Probie school or any type of training? Or was it on the job training? also did the Aux. get the same bunker gear as the FFs or was it diffrent?

This is something i wanted to add, what I dont get is how the NYPD has a great explorer program, cadets, interns, Ride-Alongs and Aux.'s. The FDNY has explorers and thats it. Why is it that PD has all those great community affairs programs and FD has none of them. I know there was a Cadet program that was shut down, there were never any FDNY internships, the Aux. is disbanded and the Ride Alongs are against regualtion. I really think that the Dept. should have som of the things that PD has. I can understand budget issues and insurance issues but if the NYPD can do it why cant FDNY do it?

FDNY 6012 said:
Did the aux. go through Probie school or any type of training? Or was it on the job training? also did the Aux. get the same bunker gear as the FFs or was it diffrent?
  We're talking about pre-1970's, so there was no Bunker Gear ;) but they did have their own helmets, coats and boots.

For the history buffs out there, when I signed on as an Auxiliary in 1964, there was a locker crammed full with Civil Defense turnout gear.  My Captain told me to help myself to a coat, helmet, and boots.  The helmet was minimal; I later acquired a Cairns leather helmet and painted it the required yellow.  I subsequently bought my own regulation turnout coat way back when the equipment store (now known as the quartermaster) was located at Pier A in lower Manhattan.  The boots were fine and I later took a new pair as the original ones wore out.

I attended many training sessions held in the quarters of Engine 280/ Ladder 132 where a limited service Lieutenant taught us various fittings to make connections, ropes, knots, ladders, and some tools.  The rest of the training was "on the job" by working fires and going to multi-unit drills.  We drilled with Engine 255/Ladder 157 in the Sears Roebuck parking lot on Bedford Avenue.

Hope this helps.

F

Fyrlt

I was surfing and came across this post about the FDNY Auxiliary and wanted to share my thoughts. I was an Auxiliary member in the early 90's and we trained with the companies during multi-unit drills and once a month we had drill at the rock. The member of the house I rode with were great, I learned a lot that I was able to carry over to my own professional career, as for some of the comments about the attitude towads the vollies "doing the job for free" I never got any of that B.S from the guys, most of them respected that I  did the same job they did but for free, they showed a lot of respect for that. As for the comment about FDNY not having interns they do if you know were to look. When I graduated college I called headquarters to inquire about internship and was set up with one for the summer after I graduated. I was to work in headquarters during the day and then spend the nights with different company's "learning the job". best experience I ever got. i was fortunate that I ended up getting hired to work in fire prevention then went on to get on the job up in the north east. Even after nearly 18 years later I still often reflect on the lessons that the Brothers taught me.

Fyrlt said:
As for the comment about FDNY not having interns they do if you know were to look. When I graduated college I called headquarters to inquire about internship and was set up with one for the summer after I graduated. I was to work in headquarters during the day and then spend the nights with different company's "learning the job".
Fyrlt said:
Thats interesting to know that there was a internship but I know for a fact today that the program is disbanded. I'm a explorer and I asked some people in the recuitment unit if there were any programs besides the explorers and they said no. The FDNY can barely run the explorer program right now so I dont expect any other programs to come out od the woodworks.

S

Sentinel

I ran with the FDNY Auxiliary E207 E294 E10 before 9-11. There is just some much politics and BS associated with the department that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
Ther department claims the program no longer exist then we see this Example:

S

Sentinel

FDNY Auxiliary Fireman?
Upon researching this article it turns out that the guy they were writing about isn't really an Auxiliary firefighter after all. This is a person who is what many in the service refer to as a buff who hangs around firehouses.

So lets see if we have it right.

Real FDNY Auxiliary firemen who attended 9 months at Randalls Island begging for house appointments are totally ignored but buffs who are refered to as "auxiliary firemen" are "appointed and assigned" to Engine Companies while "REAL Auxiliary firemen" don't even carry IDs to prove they are real.

Note: This country is currently at war and the civilian population is not ready.

paul Isaac (Sentinel)

I did some looking around and I think as recently as 2004 members were still being sworn into the FDNY Auxiliary.  My guess is, since there is nothing on the FDNY site about an auxiliary program, is that the program has not been officially "disbanded" and that there are still Auxiliary firefighters out there; however there is no active recruitment and my guess would be that getting in would involve having to know a friend who has a friend, etc. etc.  Just my speculation of course.

It seems that I'm wrong about the interns, I found this on the FDNy website. http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/word/FDNY-003-PublicInformation.doc. The only thing is its more of a journalism title rather then desk/fire duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.