FDNY - Something Different

FDNY - Vintage - May 1972
Alarms: All Hands (one).

Something rarely seen in modern NYC firefighting: using a manned handline from an extended aerial ladder.

An exterior attack was used to extinguish this vacant building fire in short order.

FDNY - Something Different by paulv2c, on Flickr

Rarely, if ever seen. The guy on the nob looks like he's about to fall through.

Where's a tower ladder when you need one?

adapt and overcome. All the tower ladders were probably operating at fires, they were a hot commodity back in the day(I would assume)

blzdp said:
adapt and overcome. All the tower ladders were probably operating at fires, they were a hot commodity back in the day(I would assume)
Yeah, back in the day, they really saw their share of work. I believe the very first Mack C Aerialscope was Ladder 1 in Manhattan. Then, I think Brooklyn got one, but I'm not too sure which company got it. Then, there was the 100' Tower Ladders made by ALF that were Ladder's 14 and 114.

fdny1075k said:
blzdp said:
Yeah, back in the day, they really saw their share of work. I believe the very first Mack C Aerialscope was Ladder 1 in Manhattan. Then, I think Brooklyn got one, but I'm not too sure which company got it. Then, there was the 100' Tower Ladders made by ALF that were Ladder's 14 and 114.

14 and 119 were the ALF's.

blzdp said:
........Back in the day more fires were put out w/handlines then today........some of the uses of TLs in some bldgs would be considered unacceptable back then......probably resulting in more injuries though......the stang was used on occasion for a partial knockdown in a heavily involved vacant......also the permanently affixed bed ladderpipe could be used but it was primarily handlines......when TLs were first utilized the stream would usually only be used for a minute or so then  allowing an attack line to get a foothold (masks were rarely used then)  .....today for the most part once a TL starts it seems many times it is overused & puts a tremendous amount of water weight into a bldg. 

scamall dubh said:
fdny1075k said:
blzdp said:

No sir, I believe the First Macks were 1 and 14. The ALFs were 14 and 163.

14 and 119 were the ALF's.

As I remember it, Ladder 1 and Ladder 14 were the First Mack Tower Ladders.

Then Ladder 114, a Stuphen tower Ladder went into service. But that was after several macks TLs were all ready in service.

Then Ladder 14 got a Stuphen also. But still, Mack was the main provider of most of the Tower Ladders in service.

Then Ladder 14 and 163 got the ALF rear mounts with front bucket. Those Big massive ALFs.

After several more years, Mack provided the Tower Ladders, and some 95 footers then went into service.

Then came the Seagraves.

mack

Administrator
Initial FDNY tower ladder purchases:

1964 - 1 75 Ft Mack Aerialscope - assigned Ladder 1
1966 - 1 75 Ft Mack diesel - assigned Ladder 14
1969 - 4 75 Ft Mack "C" model (Ladder 119 received TL with white boom - others were gray)
1971 - 11 75 Macks "CF" model
1972 - 20 75 Ft Mack "CF" model
1973 - 20 75 Ft Mack "CF" model
1974 - 11 75 Ft Mack "CF" model

68 TLs purchased by 1974. 

FDNY also purchased 54 rear mount ladders from 1969-1974.  Intitial 110 Ft models were from Seagrave and ALF.  Seagrave produced all rear mounts after initial ALF prototype. Enclosed cab safety and firehouse space limitations for 2nd section ladder companies were factors for rear mounts.

Budget crisis hit in 1974 in the midst of the War Years and limited ladder apparatus purchases for several years.

Innovations during this period - tower ladders and rear mounts with enclosed riding positions and diesel power.  Last wood aerials replaced.  Double section engines, trucks and battalions. TCUs with expanded crews which operated during high volume hours. New division, battalions, companies formed.  Interchange system to move busy companies at night. Adaptive response (only 2 + 1 and chief).  Discretionary response boxes (DRBs). Rapid water.  Squirt articulating boom engine companies.  Fire salvage units.  Temporary firehouses - Tin Houses. And new brush units.

mack said:
Initial FDNY tower ladder purchases:

1964 - 1 75 Ft Mack Aerialscope - assigned Ladder 1
1966 - 1 75 Ft Mack diesel - assigned Ladder 14
1969 - 4 75 Ft Mack "C" model (Ladder 119 received TL with white boom - others were gray)
1971 - 11 75 Macks "CF" model
1972 - 20 75 Ft Mack "CF" model
1973 - 20 75 Ft Mack "CF" model
1974 - 11 75 Ft Mack "CF" model

68 TLs purchased by 1974. 

FDNY also purchased 54 rear mount ladders from 1969-1974.  Intitial 110 Ft models were from Seagrave and ALF.  Seagrave produced all rear mounts after initial ALF prototype. Enclosed cab safety and firehouse space limitations for 2nd section ladder companies were factors for rear mounts.

Budget crisis hit in 1974 in the midst of the War Years and limited ladder apparatus purchases for several years.

Innovations during this period - tower ladders and rear mounts with enclosed riding positions and diesel power.  Last wood aerials replaced.  Double section engines, trucks and battalions. TCUs with expanded crews which operated during high volume hours. New division, battalions, companies formed.  Interchange system to move busy companies at night. Adaptive response (only 2 + 1 and chief).  Discretionary response boxes (DRBs). Rapid water.  Squirt articulating boom engine companies.  Fire salvage units.  Temporary firehouses - Tin Houses. And new brush units.

So from 1964-1969 did Ladder 1 and 14 pick up a lot of extra running being special called city wide?