FDNY's "Combo Companies"

Anybody remember those "Combo Companies". It was an Engine and Ladder Company that would respond together as One Unit. I believe these were around until the early 1970s. I think most of them were in Staten Island, but I think Queens had a few, and maybe one was on City Island. I think one was "Combo 151" in Staten Island. I believe the helmet fronts had half black and half red on them. I almost bought one of them. I sure wish I did now.
  Anyway, anybody remember what companies they were. I looked around but couldn't find anything.

There were 3 Combination Fire Companies aka:CFC in the 70's. E70/TL53 in City Island were CFC-121 ran from Aug. 24, 1974 to Nov. 22, 1975. E151/TL76 in Tottenville, S.I. were CFC-131 in service from July 13, 1974 to Nov. 12, 1977. E311/TL158 were CFC-151 in service from July 13, 1974 to Nov. 12, 1977.

Thanks G-man for that info on the "Combo Fire Companies". I was actually surprised to see that they ran into the late 70s. Thank you there Mister G-man.

Thank you very much there "bklyndisp54". I was not at all aware of that. So only one captain for both units. "bk54" do you remember what the manning on those companies were. Was it four guys on each rig ? Just curious.

bklyndisp54 said:
All the CFC officers were Captains.  No Lt.'s in those outfits.
  As per July 1974 Bell Club News Notes: Each CFC consisted of 5 Captains and 51 firefighters, one of whom will be assigned to clerical and inspection duties. They were equipped with a 1000gpm Mack 'Rapid Water" pumper and a 75 ft. Tower Ladder.

[/quote]  As per July 1974 Bell Club News Notes: Each CFC consisted of 5 Captains and 51 firefighters, one of whom will be assigned to clerical and inspection duties. They were equipped with a 1000gpm Mack 'Rapid Water" pumper and a 75 ft. Tower Ladder.
[/quote]

Thanks G-man. I wasn't aware of that either. I also have my Bell Club News Notes from a while back. But I think mine start around 1975. If you've got it handy, "how many multiples did they have listed that month". Would I be right if I guessed about 50 or 60 calls that went to a second alarm or greater.

Thanks "G-man" and "bklyndisp54" for the info.

Thanks G-man. I wasn't aware of that either. I also have my Bell Club News Notes from a while back. But I think mine start around 1975. If you've got it handy, "how many multiples did they have listed that month". Would I be right if I guessed about 50 or 60 calls that went to a second alarm or greater.

[/quote]  The next issue showed July 1974 had 80 multiple alarms with 67 being 2nd alarms, 12 were 3rd's and 4 were 4th alarmers. BTW Bronx was tops in multiples with 33 vs. Brooklyn with 27, Manhattan with 19, Richmond had only 1 and Queens had no multiples. :eek: My how times have changed, haven't they? ???

mack

Administrator
Tottenville, in Staten Island, is the southernmost and most distant firehouse from the ferry (Manhattan) and Verrazano Narrows bridge (Brooklyn). In the early 1970's, it was isolated with most SI development on the North shore. There were a lot of older large private dwellings, schools, orphanages ("Godfather" baptism scene), churches, some factories, a large shoreline with barges and marine buildings and large wooded areas prone to difficult brush fires.
As I recall, Combo 151,  called "The Combo" by SI dispatchers, was staffed each shift with 1 Capt, 4 FF on the engine section and 5 FF on the truck section. They responded as one unit - The Combo.  The purpose, I believe, was to save the City a few bucks by eliminating the LT slot in the truck. It did operate with a captain each tour. The unique units selected for combo designation were engine/trucks housed together, usually responded to all boxes together, did not relocate and were not assigned on many multiple alarms to pull them out of their district. 
Engine 151 and Ladder 76 were not busy companies, but when they got something, they operated on their own for quite a while.  E 164/L84 (2nd due) were almost 4 miles away from the Tottenville firehouse, E162/L82/Bn 23 were about 6 or 7 miles away.  The fire location could also be further away than the Combo's firehouse, so the chief and the 3rd due engine (E 162, if assigned) could have a 10 minute run or longer. Engine 167 and Engine 168 did not exist back then. 
The combined unit concept did not work well because it always took "both sections" to do any run.  A simple engine job took the "truck" section out of service, too.  You had one officer leading two sections or engine/truck functions at a job.  Tough to do. This was not a popular concept.  I do not remember a 2 color helmet but I think their helmet front-pieces might have been red and black. 

Additional note - I think the most famous fire fought by Combo 151 was the Mt Loretto (orphanage) church fire, 1973, which was the scene of the famous climax baptism and revenge scenes of the original "Godfather " movie.  Church of St. Joachim and St. Anne was the name of the church. It was a 3 or 4 alarm job. The Combo was first due.  The source of the fire was in the boiler room. The church was almost a total loss, except for the front, which still stands today.

The fire happened soon after the opening of the first "Godfather" movie.  Maybe someone didn't like the movie.    "Leave the gun, take the cannolis".
http://www.nypl.org/blogs/2009/06/05/mount-loretto-staten-island-ny

NOTE - Mt Loretto fire was in 1973 - the year before E 151 and L 76 became a Combo.

mack

Administrator
Oops. I made a mistake. Guitarman was correct, as usual.  Engine 151/L76 Combination Company was CFC 131, not 151.  I always confused the CFC designation with Engine 151.  Sorry G-Man.

Great story, mack. Thanks.

Although born and raised in NYC I have probably been to SI less than 10 times in my life, but it is a really nice place. Have to pinch oneself to realize you are still in New York City. One time about ten years ago I was driving north from Jersey and took whatever that bridge is just to look around. Stopped at the house you mention. Firefighters were great guys. None had ever been to the north Bronx and were amused when I told them that their house is a mirror image of E38/TL51, located at the opposite north pole of the City, some 30+ miles away. I was amazed that it was still the same FDNY all the way down there in Tottenville, which to me could have been in Connecticut.

mack

Administrator
Hope this link is OK.  This shows two fires at Mt Loretto fought by CFC 131 and later, as E 151 and L76, when reorganized. There is a good B&W picture of the "Godfather" movie church fully involved in 1973 and then a later arson 4th alarm at the girls orphanage across the street in 2000

http://www.miv-mountloretto.org/aboutus.html

"Mack", I for one, do remember that Loretto Fire back in 1973. I also want to Thank you, and "G-man" for the info and story about the Combo Companies of FDNY. I remember them, but I didn't remember which companies they were or the manning on the rigs. I do remember the Helmet Front Inserts. The insert was the standard size, maybe 3" x 5" with the Combo Number. The upper half was black, and the lower half was red. I doubt there's many around out there now.

Hi Guys, I happened upon your posts here and Joined up. In speaking of the FDNY CFC's, I was at E-211 In Williamsburg in the mid to late '70's. I have a complete set of all three helmet fronts from each co. 121, 131, & 151. Do you guys think that they rare??

mack

Administrator
E211 - Very rare.  Very few CFC front pieces were ever made.  Most were lost when the companies became engine and truck companies again.  You have a set of three. 

Hi Guys;
Sure, I'll try to take a photo. As I am techno challenged,I'll probably get one of my kids to help me get it done..... LOL
I always thought they were kinda special, I'm glad I got the set. Besides being at E-211 then, I used to know personally one of the plant managers at Cairns & Bro. back then, and we used to cut a "deal" or two for interesting stuff. I've also got a couple of gold leaf fronts from FDNY but before they actually had the FDNY letters on them.

But, the rarest of all is the gold leaf front of chief of dept. that belonged to John T. O'Hagan. It was ordered,.... but the manager thought he had forgotten to take it, and sold it to me. The funny thing is that the next time I went to see my "Pal" there, he said to me " I never should have sold it to you pal,... O'hagan called the next day looking for it and I had to rush him a new one."  ROFLOL

I'll try to get them all on here as soon as I can corral one of the kids to help me do it. So, just stay tuned for "further developments"

OK Guys, here's the deal. I tried to post the photos, but for some reason it won't take  ???  ::). So in an effort to try it another way, I ent them via email to NFD2004, and let's see if he can get them up on here. Sorry for the delay, but if you would like your own copy just email me with your request, and I'll be glad to attach them in an email to you.

E-211

ri-embassy@att.net

E-211 said:
OK Guys, here's the deal. I tried to post the photos, but for some reason it won't take   ???   ::). So in an effort to try it another way, I ent them via email to NFD2004, and let's see if he can get them up on here. Sorry for the delay, but if you would like your own copy just email me with your request, and I'll be glad to attach them in an email to you.

E-211

ri-embassy@att.net
Yes, E211 sent them to me by E-mail. But this is a case of the blind leading the blind. I haven't got a clue how to pass them along. Sorry Guys. I'm kinda Old School myself. I passed math by counting on my fingers. Calculators weren't even thought of then. So, E211, I'm no good at passing it on. I just don't have what it takes.