GLORY DAYS

lfdlt31

Thank you so much for sharing all your stories Dan. It certainly has been a pleasure to read them and in some ways it allowed a firefighter from Canada to be right there witnessing the FDNY at work when I would imagine the imagery you described so well. You have been a fantastic addition to this site and I hope you are planning on sticking around and contributing for a long time to come!

mack

Administrator
Dan - Found a 1983 WNYF "All Hands" column which you might like to explain from E88/L38. "Penmanship" Potter is acknowledged. Also, several other E88/L38 legends.

POTTER.jpg

JohnnyGage

Dan - Found a 1983 WNYF "All Hands" column which you might like to explain from E88/L38. "Penmanship" Potter is acknowledged. Also, several other E88/L38 legends.

View attachment 13245
Thanks Mack, Good find! I was the "designated" scribe to submit scoop about E88 & L38 members for WNYF All Hands column, handful of legends recorded in this contribution. At that time I had a calligraphy pen and ink set. I did not type, so I submitted my ancedotes to John Koskie in calligraphy, hence the nickname. When I had 'housewatch' duties I used to make journal entries in calligraphy, too. John Koskie headlined the 7th Division Column for many, many years. When he retired, he asked me to take over. I was honored to and did so until I transferred to Brooklyn in 1988, the column has since been authored by members from L38. Having a tough time remembering what the "reward" John was referring to.

Some years later when I was at L 5, I was requested by the 1st Division Commander to head the 1st Division All Hands column and did that column as well.

10-75K

I'm not a member of FDNY but a firefighter never the less. Fdny has the best firehouse humor and I would like to add a story from my department.
We have a firefighter that takes anything we throw at him and he returns it with interest.
The one thing everyone from the house knows about him is that his wife is extremely jealous and because he can't eat certain things his wife would drop off food for him we already knew head time his wife would be dropping off food for him and made arrangements for a girl to come to the firehouse before the wife would arrive pretending to need help with directions and made sure she would only talk to him well as predicted the wife shows asking where he was and we said outside talking to girl and when she heard that and her hair burned off her head we knew we gone to far with this prank but no turning back now and it got real ugly we tried to tell her it was a prank but didn't work the food she brought for him he's now wearing it the girl left in panic the wife left everything started to calm down and he still took it on chin when he found out it was a prank so we ended up getting 1 room knock and when returned to the firehouse there was pile of stuff in front of the bay ended up she came back with all his belongings while we were out and dumped it.
It took a few days to convince the wife it was a prank and now all is good between them.
Like I said earlier he pays it back with interest and we are still waiting.

nfd2004

I'm not a member of FDNY but a firefighter never the less. Fdny has the best firehouse humor and I would like to add a story from my department.
We have a firefighter that takes anything we throw at him and he returns it with interest.
The one thing everyone from the house knows about him is that his wife is extremely jealous and because he can't eat certain things his wife would drop off food for him we already knew head time his wife would be dropping off food for him and made arrangements for a girl to come to the firehouse before the wife would arrive pretending to need help with directions and made sure she would only talk to him well as predicted the wife shows asking where he was and we said outside talking to girl and when she heard that and her hair burned off her head we knew we gone to far with this prank but no turning back now and it got real ugly we tried to tell her it was a prank but didn't work the food she brought for him he's now wearing it the girl left in panic the wife left everything started to calm down and he still took it on chin when he found out it was a prank so we ended up getting 1 room knock and when returned to the firehouse there was pile of stuff in front of the bay ended up she came back with all his belongings while we were out and dumped it.
It took a few days to convince the wife it was a prank and now all is good between them.
Like I said earlier he pays it back with interest and we are still waiting.

"10-75K" and for our newer members here - You might enjoy the topic on this site called: "Our Firehouse Stories".

It can be found in the General Discussion Section of this site

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/our-firehouse-stories.61045/