Governors Island Fire Protection

RCL

Wasn’t ALF using freightliner parts?
Honestly don't know. Its possible. The last ALF I dealt with was our depts 1970s vintage snorkel. And that was in 2004 when hurricane Charley and company came thru. I set it up for the last time to put out a tree debris pile at our motorpool because the smoke was blowing at an assisted living facility. It was sold at auction not long after that. Miss that truck.

When we were specing the new trucks in that time frame, ALF didn't meet at least 1 of the requirements so i never really paid attention other then nostalgia purposes.

I know Polk County, has nothing but problems with their Ferraras. They bought 15 or 20 over 3 or 4 years and every single 1 had suspension problems, some had electronic issues, and the 2 65' aerials, every time they set them up, they'd crack a jack leg. After about 2 years and an additional 3 inches pf welds added to the legs, they ended up going back to La, on semis, to have the stabilization system rebuilt. Supposedly, 1 group of engines had the wrong frames put under them.

If a job breaks out that requires more apparatus than are available, would they ferry them over? could the ferry even carry that kind of weight?

If a job breaks out that requires more apparatus than are available, would they ferry them over? could the ferry even carry that kind of weight?
There is 2 ferries one is passengers only and 1 is cargo and passengers. They can load 2 engines 2 ladders max at a time. The cargo ferry only runs from 0700 to 1800. The ferry docks at Gov Island and the operator sleeps on the island and is suppose to be ready.

There is 2 ferries one is passengers only and 1 is cargo and passengers. They can load 2 engines 2 ladders max at a time. The cargo ferry only runs from 0700 to 1800. The ferry docks at Gov Island and the operator sleeps on the island and is suppose to be ready.
im actually happily surprised those ferries can hold the weight when some roads cant.

I will ask a dumb question cause I honestly don’t know the answer. What is the island used for? Other than events?

There used to be a firehouse on the island that was staffed 24/7 wasn't there? Didn't they just tear the old place down about 7-8 years ago?

For years it was protected by federal firefighters till it was turned over to the city. Know a bunch of the federal guys that worked it. What A gig!!!!