Governors Island Fire Protection

So I asked that question for you, when it was still occupied with people living on the island around 100 after the feds moved out about 30. Keep in mind that’s still 20 years ago

I will ask a dumb question cause I honestly don’t know the answer. What is the island used for? Other than events?
The US Army built Fort Jay on Governor's Island in 1794.
During World War II, a firehouse was established, closing in 1964.
The US Coast Guard operated two engines and a ladder from 1966 to 1996.
FDNY staffed a fire brigade from 2003 to 2009, followed by the present arrangement.
Governor's Island is a National Monument.

A detailed history with photos is located on this site. Scroll down on this page.

Last edited:
Does NYPD patrol it?
A bit late on this, I can't find a straight answer besides some photos of ESU on the Island, according to the 1st Pct Twitter Account (no way I'm calling it X) Gov Island is covered by the 1st Pct under sector B.

A bit late on this, I can't find a straight answer besides some photos of ESU on the Island, according to the 1st Pct Twitter Account (no way I'm calling it X) Gov Island is covered by the 1st Pct under sector B.
They do patrols, off the boats and if special events. I believe Gov Island security is the only thing on the island all the time. One of the security is required to be a EMT