Helmets

I don't recall seeing that, usually you did not wear previous company insignias, tee shirts or patches in your present company...unless, of course, you wanted them to be cut off. My collar brass went into my jewelry box, still there.
Its more of a thing that Bosses do , they wear the collar brass from the company they got promoted from .

Highly disagree, I don't think thats the case either, I don't know where you saw or think that, but no company would stand for it and I could absolutely say I never saw officers wearing previous company brass anywhere on their uniform or gear. #1 its tacky, #2 its disrespectful to your company. You wouldn't even wear an old company tee shirt in your new firehouse.

Last edited:
Highly disagree, I don't think thats the case either, I don't know where you saw or think that, but no company would stand for it and I could absolutely say I never saw officers wearing previous company brass anywhere on their uniform or gear. #1 its tacky, #2 its disrespectful to your company. You wouldn't even wear an old company tee shirt in your new firehouse.

Brother , I saw it on 3 of the Officers helmets i worked with in my house.....I worked in South Queens ...one of the Lts was a FF from 175 , one was from 123 and the other one was from 120....they each had their collar pin on their helmets....Its where the guy came from , whats the big deal ? ..I saw it on a bunch of covering guys helmets also......and honestly , i could care less what tee shirt he has on , or what pin he has on his lid .....i just want him to do his job .

OK, ya got me...things change, wouldn't get away with that during my time. I saw a few times guys get the florian cross cut off if it was a previous FDNY company. Thanks.

Last edited:
I still have my original Cairns helmet from proby school with my Squad # and line #. I printed inside in white paint " NYFD", not FDNY, and also my name back in 68 when we received our helmet. I'm assuming I was instructed to do it that way by the instructors back then, if it wasn't done that way I would have received some flack from maybe Chief Yogi Bear . A tag just fell out with the size 6 3/4 and Cairns & Bros Clifton, NJ.

I still have my original Cairns helmet from proby school with my Squad # and line #. I printed inside in white paint " NYFD", not FDNY, and also my name back in 68 when we received our helmet. I'm assuming I was instructed to do it that way by the instructors back then, if it wasn't done that way I would have received some flack from maybe Chief Yogi Bear . A tag just fell out with the size 6 3/4 and Cairns & Bros Clifton, NJ.
TA, were you fitted for your helmet? We hand a machine of some sort that measured the shape of our head, no size.

Going back some 54 years, yes there was a metal device that had spring loaded metal fingers that they put on your head to determine the size they would make for you.

Going back some 54 years, yes there was a metal device that had spring loaded metal fingers that they put on your head to determine the size they would make for you.

MSA Cairns® Fire Helmet History: Custom-Fitted Cairns Fire Helmets​

They had one at the Pier A store in the 60's.

I just looked in my original helmet from Proby School and there is a tag with #6908 and again my Squad # and line #. It also has the pin holes in it that the fingers made. Since this was the war years a helmet didn't last too long and my next helmet had that conform paper in it with unreadable numbers on that tag and little squares that had holes adjacent to the squares. So knowing that 6908# they could make me a new helmet. The video helped explain it all. I have the book that I took notes in from school and has my name, badge # and 23-13. I remember paying about $37.00 for the 2nd helmet but don't remember when I bought it.