High Ladders

The only place I could really see a Bronto being useful over a rearmount or a tower in NYC would be Coney Island, with its various amusement parks and oddly-shaped structures.  Beyond that, the extra reach doesn't really justify the added weight, wheelbase, lost compartment space, and extra setup time, especially with the FDNY's method of aggressive interior firefighting.  A building that would require a Bronto over a rearmount would probably be a fireproof high-rise anyway, where exterior ventilation and rescue might end up being counter-productive with wind-driven fires and whatnot.

To each their own, comparing apples and oranges and all that...

B

Bigandy

When I got on the job I loved climbing to the top of our 100 ft aerial. Now FORGET THAT! I'd rather safely be sitting in a bucket :D

That average weight of a 100' Eone bronto is 80,000lbs. Coming from a dept that has one I cant cant really see the cityhaving the need for one in front line truck co service, although the truck has an extremely tight turning radius,the short jack feature, and some other good features I mentioned in my last post, I dont think it could handle the daily beating the city streets would give the rig. It works great for us out here in the burbs. The outriggers fully extended is 19ft, there are a lot of cons vs. pros that just wouldnt work out in NYC. Set up time is a big down fall also.

catry said:
The only place I could really see a Bronto being useful over a rearmount or a tower in NYC would be Coney Island, with its various amusement parks and oddly-shaped structures.  Beyond that, the extra reach doesn't really justify the added weight, wheelbase, lost compartment space, and extra setup time, especially with the FDNY's method of aggressive interior firefighting.  A building that would require a Bronto over a rearmount would probably be a fireproof high-rise anyway, where exterior ventilation and rescue might end up being counter-productive with wind-driven fires and whatnot.

To each their own, comparing apples and oranges and all that...
Good points there. It's a fact that Bronto-type trucks don't have compartment space and they sure are heavier.
And you don't use ladders as much as we do (for example water rescue etc.) so you don't need the extra reach as you sayd.
You do it your way, we do it our way.

I wonder if and when FDNY will get a couple of these? There was talk about it

Attachments

• d544b23c5c3cf095e5bca0f0ce7b26be.jpg
    d544b23c5c3cf095e5bca0f0ce7b26be.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,536

Bulldog

Bulldog
fdny747 said:
I wonder if and when FDNY will get a couple of these? There was talk about it
I highly doubt that you will ever see this type of vehicle operational with FDNY because of many reasons probably the biggest of which is its ability to maneuver in the streets of New York.  Does anybody know if this vehicle is regularly dispatched in San Antonio or is it only special called?  Is it always means or is it manned by a crew of another ladder company when needed?

I could be wrong but that rig looks to have the SAFD livery photoshopped on. Not sure if they actually even have it.

BCR

Never see one in NYC, to heavy for a lot of bridges, requires a massive area to set up and by the time it got to the scene it would be blocked out by several apparatus as well as hose lines

"mack" your old stand by (NFD2004) remembers them. Didn't they use one of them for the TCUs later on ? I think they were called a "Migrius Ladder" (???). I think you're right about one being Ladder 119, but I can't remember the second. I'm sure if I look around somewhere we can find out.
Mack/Maxim/Magrius Williard I guess Magrius ( a german manufaturer?) contracted with Maxim ( I wasnt sure of this Just saw some info Today.... Yes 2021) 119's had the HI ladder and they say it became TCU with a 100' ladder replacement (seems strange) but whatever

I was goggling something earlier and This Page popped up its Dated The end of June 2018 as you get to the Actual page You'll see 2nd sections (including dates utilized) and below the 2nd sections and where The manpower ended up Down to TCU 's it suggests there were 6 and Doesn't explain at all about the 2nd generational sticks after the Hi ladders etc https://thousandpointsofright.blogspot.com/2018/06/history-of-fdny-units.html?view=sidebar

Last edited:
There were 2 Hi Ladder Mack Magirus Rigs in the FDNY they were assigned to a few Units until the TCUs were established & then they both had their Aerials replaced with 100 Ft Grove Aerials ......one went to TCU*712 in the BX & one to TCU*731 in BKLYN.....the other TCU Truck ..TCU*732 in BKLYN had a new '69 American La France Rear Mount (maroon in color).

There were 2 Hi Ladder Mack Magirus Rigs in the FDNY they were assigned to a few Units until the TCUs were established & then they both had their Aerials replaced with 100 Ft Grove Aerials ......one went to TCU*712 in the BX & one to TCU*731 in BKLYN.....the other TCU Truck ..TCU*732 in BKLYN had a new '69 American La France Rear Mount (maroon in color).
I actually saw 119 on operation stretched to the extreme limit. There was a seagull stuck at the top. 119 pulled up put the tip to its fullest ext and somehow the member fit it free. It was a Catholic Church on Catalpa Ave and Woodward Ave in the Ridgewood section of Queens New York.

In the 70's and 80's Chicago ran a 136' 6 section aerial with a lift that ran up the aerial. It was a Pierce/Hendrickson with the Morita aerial device.

Attachments

• CFD H&L 1 Morita.jpg
    CFD H&L 1 Morita.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 13
If I'm not mistaken, the Magirus high ladders that FDNY bought had a man basket that could ride up the aerial. It was originally mounted to the side of the ladder for use if needed . . . but it never was, so they took it (them) off. I've watched those man baskets being used on Morita aerials in Korea . . . they're interesting, but I have a hard time envisioning their usefulness. The ones I've seen would only hold one man.

If I'm not mistaken, the Magirus high ladders that FDNY bought had a man basket that could ride up the aerial. It was originally mounted to the side of the ladder for use if needed . . . but it never was, so they took it (them) off. I've watched those man baskets being used on Morita aerials in Korea . . . they're interesting, but I have a hard time envisioning their usefulness. The ones I've seen would only hold one man.
If you go to Mack C-Model Apparatus , the light blue cover book from FAJ, on page 36 is a picture of the elevator installed at a City Hall demonstration.