I Just Wanna be a FIREMAN

Like so many others, my father was a firefighter. I guess for not only myself, but for so many others, the job of putting out fires was just in our blood. There was something special about it that just kept our interest and not just a thing that every kid says "I wanna be a Fireman when I grow up".

Wanting to be a Fireman, "Firefighter" as they are now called, just stayed with us.

But not everybody got a chance to be a fireman, in some cases through no fault of their own.

Maybe there was a physical condition that made it impossible.
Maybe there were so many taking the test with only a few openings, that even the smartest guys had trouble scoring high enough to get the opportunity.
It might have been that it just didn't make sense to give up a much better paying job while supporting a family.
It might have been a time of fire company closings which hadn't been seen even during the days of the Great Depression.
Along with that came affirmative action which helped some, but hurt others.
Maybe the spouse had a say in it realizing that weekends or holidays were no longer a guarantee off anymore.
Then of course the danger involved that the spouse could get seriously hurt or worse.

So this is my own story of "I Just Wanna be a FIREMAN".

For me, it wasn't an easy accomplishment. In fact, I too, was in some way affected by a few of the issues I mention just above.

The story begins with my father, a returning World War II veteran looking for a job.

Growing up during the Great Depression he knew how important it was to try and get a job with some type of job security. Living in Bridgeport, Ct he decides to take a bus to downtown where the main post office is located, knowing that post office workers did NOT loose their job during that Great Depression. So that is where he is headed. Hoping to find out when the next test is coming.

So he gets off the bus at the corner and he is waking the three blocks to that post office. On the way he passes fire headquarters and there are two firefighters standing out front. As he passes he knows that fireman were never laid off during that very tough economic time either. So he asks those guys if they ever hire new firemen. They tell him there is an upcoming test and if he wants to apply he should go to city hall. So that's what he does. He goes to both the post office and city hall in Bridgeport to apply for both jobs.

But not too many people want to be firefighters. Their shift schedule is Seven Day shifts 8 am to 5 pm, followed by Two days Off. Then Seven nights 5 pm to 8 am the next day followed by Two days off. Not only that, you must remain a resident of Bridgeport and on your time off, except during your vacation time, you are on call for any major fire within the city. If you do leave the city you must call into the firehouse and leave a phone number where you can be reached if necessary. Throughout the city an alert system is activated similar to what some volunteer fire stations use today if all off duty members are to return to work. In addition to that they also received a phone call at their homes or the number they would be able to be reached.

He takes the written test and passes. He later passes a very simple medical exam and is offered the job. Although at the time, the Post Office seems to be a much better job with holidays off and no on call requirement, the door opens for him to become a Bridgeport Fireman. He is assigned to work Bridgeport Fire Headquarters, then on Middle St. The only training is Two days at the training drill tower on Bridgeport's east side behind the quarters of Engine 2, as well as the shops.

My father, who I wrote about here in another thread titled; "Our Role Models" begins his firefighting career in 1948. A guy who never thought of being a fireman, with hopes on being a "mailman". A guy who I later nicknamed "Smoke" but who understood that I highly respected him, first as a father and secondly as a firefighter who earned the highest medal during his career with the Bridgeport Fire Dept.

A guy who was my Role Model and I wanted to do the same kind of job that he did.

This is my own personnel story of my struggles to become a FIREMAN, now called "FIREFIGHTERS". From my youngest days as a child just wanting to be a FIREMAN to a RETIRED FIREFIGHTER, now as a senior citizen

As time goes on, I hope to tell that story. I hope that you will follow this story and I'm sure there are many here who will also relate to this topic.

I also hope that at times you too, will contribute your thoughts or experiences of:

"I Just Wanna be a FIREMAN", or maybe "I Just Wanna Be a FIREFIGHTER".

Last edited:
Wow, that's good stuff. My firefighting career is kind of similar to your Fathers. My Father did work for the United Postal Service and my brother and I both became Firefighters. I was working on the local Township's road crew out of High school and I was a volunteer on their Fire Dept. I took a Postal exam and the paid Firefighter's exam for the Township. The Post office called and wanted me to take a driving test and physical. I asked my Dad if I should go with that job or wait to see if I would be hired on the FD. He said: Go with the Fire Dept. if you can! I asked the Chief if they were going to hire me, and he said that I had as good of a chance as anyone else. They were only hiring 3-4 FF's at that time. At 20 years old, I made the biggest decision of my life and I turned down the Postal job. I was hired on December 22nd, 1978 on the small Twp. Fire Dept. 3 years later I took the Columbus, Ohio test and joined the largest, busiest, Fire Department in the area. I retired after 36 years and I know that I made the best decision ever!

"columbusfire", there's a lot more to come about my story.

But I can tell you this, as my story goes on, we have a lot more in common than just being "on the job" and being members on this site.

It might take awhile, but just stay tuned as each chapter is told. I think there will be a time along the way that "you" might certainly appreciate.
If your father is around, "he might appreciate it too".

Well once again Brad, "THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR POSTING THAT PICTURE.

That picture is of a young (actually very handsome) Willy D (NFD2004) at about four years old. At that time he "Just wanted to be a Fireman". Hard to make it out but the rig there was a 1939 Mack pumper.

Those days long before direct deposit, if my father was off duty or working nights, he would take me to the firehouse with him to pick up his pay check. The firehouse was about two miles from our house. He didn't drive a car, so on nice days he would carry me on his shoulders and I sure loved it. When the weather was bad we would take the bus to the firehouse.

Another thing that I liked when we got on the bus was I would like to watch the change go in the deposit box and then the bus driver crank the handle to count the change and open the bottom flap to remove that cash. A photo of one has been posted on this site recently - I think in the topic "Back in the Day".

When the local bus company was going to the newer machines, those old ones were going to the junk yard and my father got one for me. I'll get a picture of it and see if Brad can post that for me too.

Anyway, back to the story of "I just Wanna Be a Fireman".

Whenever my father would take me to the firehouse, he would buy me a soda. Then I'd get to sit down with the guys at the firehouse kitchen table and they'd tell me about being a fireman. How I had to behave myself and eat all the vegetables that my mother would cook for me. And every once in awhile, I would hear the bells go off. Sometimes the hose wagon and pumper truck of Bridgeport's mostly two piece Engine Companies would go out the door on a run or sometimes the Big Ladder Truck with a driver in the back would go. But best of all, when all three trucks left with the siren going. My father always told me that if I was near the trucks when a call came in to step far back and stay out of the way.

They were such GREAT Days. I am so THANKFUL to my father "Smoke" for all he did for me. And I am also so very THANKFUL to all those guys who treated so good whenever I went in to visit any of Bridgeport's 14 firehouses.
Then it was Engine 1/Squad 5/Truck 5, Engine 2, Engine 3/Truck3, Engine 4, Engine 5, Engine 6/Truck 6, Engine 7, Engine 8, Engine 9, COMBO Eng10/Truck 10, Combo Eng11/Truck 11, Combo Eng12/Truck 12, Engine 14, Engine 15.
Later in years soon after the FDNY closed numerous fire companies in the 1970s, Bridgeport closed Engine 2, Engine 5, Engine 8, Engine 9, Combo Engine 11, Engine 14.
But they added Engine 16 and made Trucks 10 and 11 fully manned Truck Companies rather than a part of a two man Combo Truck Co.

As a young kid growing up in the 1950s it was just such a great time to be a "Wanna Be Fireman". Of course as the decades went on I was able to see for myself NOT only the FDNY War Years take place in the streets of New York City, but in other cities, including my home town of Bridgeport. Where my brother George became a firefighter too and served during Bridgeport's own set of Fire Dept War Years, along with my father during a period of time.

It was also a very busy time of fire activity in other major cities as well. In my case I saw cities like Providence, RI and Boston, Mass see that increase too. I think there is another tread on here in the History section titled: The Other War Years" that talks about that.

But for a young Willy D who just wanted to be a FIREMAN, there were some very tough days ahead. That being a young kid attending Blessed Sacrament Catholic Grammar School and "Just wanting to be a Fireman".

Next Chapter - Sister Mary O'Brian asks; "William, what do you want to be when you grow up" ?

Thank you once again Brad. You have a young family and a fulltime time job to be concerned with, unlike this old unemployed; "I STILL Wanna Be a FIREMAN" old guy. Anyway, I sure appreciate it.

The picture above is the Old Coin Boxes that bus riders would put the change in the top. Then every once in awhile the bus driver flip down that lever and turn the crank to count the change.

As a young "Wanna Be Fireman", back in those days, if I couldn't become a Fireman, I wanted to be a "Bus Driver".

To add, here is the link to "The Other War Years" stories I also talked about above.

there is an old saying..
a young boy asks a fireman.....when i grow up i want to be a fireman.
the fireman responds....sorry kid you cant do both.

I'm now growing up and I even started going to school. But to be honest, "it sure ain't as much fun as going to the firehouse". Where I get to sit on the big firetruck and even put on a fire helmet like my father and his other firemen friends.

Anyway there's McKinley School about six blocks from my house, but my parents decide to send me to Catholic School instead. So that means I have to walk to school for about another 8 or 9 more blocks. But at least I'm growing up and I'll be able to be a Real Fireman soon.

Because I'm growing up now, my grandmother buys me my first bicycle and I sure like that. Not only that, she buys me a big basket on it so that I can go to Jake's Grocery Store on the corner and bring home the milk, bread, eggs and meat that my parents write down on a list for me to bring with me. That new bicycle and basket sure comes in handy for what "I" want to do too.

My father had given me an old pair of real fire boots. They didn't fit me very good but I could put them in the basket and chase the fire trucks now. Plus, I got an old black rain coat and a red plastic fire helmet that I could wear just like a "junior fireman". I think I still got it too and I'll see if my buddy Brad (signal 73) will post it for all you to enjoy.

I don't like school at all but somehow I pass; 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and the 4th grade. Those nuns are real tough. But now I'm headed to the 5th grade and Sister Mary O'Brian will be my teacher. Nobody likes her. I know I'm in trouble for sure now when school starts again..

During the summer I saved my allowance money that I got for doing some chores around the house. Like going to Jake's corner store, drying the dishes, and taking out the garbage.
So I went to Sears & Roebuck with my father and I saw a bicycle siren that screws onto the front fork of my bike and you just pull a chain and it makes a siren noise. Now I got everything I need to be a Junior Fireman.

But now summer vacation is over and the school year begins. I'm really not too happy about it. I had a great summer riding my bike down Stratford Ave in Bridgeport, chasing the fire trucks. Sometimes I even saw my father on that Big Hook & Ladder truck. I mean how great is that ?

But as school begins, William is NOT doing very well in the 5th grade with Sister Mary O'Brian. I sit right by the window though and there is a firehouse that isn't too far away. When the school windows are open I could hear the trucks when they start up. It's Engine 8, a single two piece engine company. When they go by we all stop and say a prayer for the firemen.

As it gets around November, my school work is not good at all. I'm not interested in that stuff Sister Mary O'Brian is teaching. I just want to be a Fireman. This school work doesn't have anything to do with driving fire trucks or putting out fires.

One day, sister Mary O'Brian gives me a note to bring home to my parents. I think I know what it is all about. I'm not doing good in school and she wants my parents to come in and talk to her. "I'm in some serious trouble". It will probably be my father that will bring me to the school for a talk with her. I just know that he's going to take "HER" side and NOT mine.

The time has come. My father is going to show up and he is going to talk to her about my school work. "THIS-IS-NOT-GOOD".

It surprises me that Sister O'Brian is actually pretty good to me when she talks with my father. She's not yelling or mad at me like she usually is. Actually everything seems to be going pretty good.

Then in front of my father, Sister Mary O'Brian asks me very politely; "William, when you grow up, what do you want to be" ? With a BIG SMILE on my face I said; "A FIREMAN".
Then I look at my father and I see something suddenly went very wrong. He's just shaking his head in some kind of disbelief. "WHAT DID I DO WRONG" ?

When we leave the school to go home, I asked my father "what did I do wrong" when I said "I want to be a Fireman". Then he told me being a fireman is a very hard dirty job. They don't pay you much, you work long hours that you can't be home, and you don't always get to be home for Christmas. Why don't you want to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a priest ? Actually, "Smoke" knew what she wanted to hear, BUT I didn't know that. Because those nuns only wanted us guys to be a doctor, lawyer or a priest. But I really did want to be a fireman.

When we got home, my father told my mother about everything that happen. Then he told me no bicycle riding for the next month except on weekends. You're going to study and do homework every day after school.

I'd hear those fire trucks go by while I was doing this stupid school work at home. But no bike riding was what Smoke said and that's what he meant. Of course my grades got better and somehow the school year ended and I passed. Best of all, no more Sister Mary O'Brian and I got all summer now to ride my bike and chase the fire trucks.

The next Chapter coming up is titled: "It Can't Be - Not Again"

In the Summer of 1963, I'm finally out of that Catholic Grammar School. There was a saying that I remember and I will quote it here:

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks".

That sure was true in my case. I was so glad to get out of that place known as Blessed Sacrament School. I am about to enter a public high school. It is actually a State Trade School called Bullard Havens.

The schedule for this High School/Trade School is one week of regular classroom work followed by one week of trade work. It's not too bad and although I still hate classroom work, it's just every other week now.

I also get a part time job at the neighborhood drug store and I'm able to buy a used car and pay the insurance. In addition to that, Radio Shack comes out with a tunable VHF Radio, and you can buy one crystal for your favorite channel. I get a crystal for the Bridgeport Fire Dept. I buy two of those radios. One for the house and one for the car. Now I can chase the fires throughout the entire city. "Life is getting better".

The four years of high school go by pretty quick. Of course I'm no honor student but I make it through. It is now the summer of 1967 and I'm working more hours a week at that drug store. My father suggest that I go to a brand new Community College. For me, I could still work part time at that drug store and chase the fires. The fact that I could still chase the fires sounds good to me.

But working that drug store, fulltime before I go to that first semester changes my life forever. A guy comes in to buy a couple of things. Its kind of slow so I start to talk to the guy. He's not one of the locals who stop in. As we talk, I am able to pick up a NYC accent. I ask him if he's from New York and he tells me yes. I just happen to mention to him that "I Wanna Be A Fireman".

Then, never expecting this; "he tells me that he is a fireman in Brooklyn and the firehouse he works at also has the Rescue Company in the firehouse too". He then gives me a phone number to call him. He says give me a call and when I'm working I'll show you around. "I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING". To me, "I just won the lottery". I had never been inside a NYC firehouse. I would watch the local news on television and sometimes see the fires they get. Bridgeport of course is GREAT - BUT - "I'm heading to the biggest city fire dept in the entire country".

For me, this will be an entirely new experience. It is the Summer of 1967 and the FDNY War Years are about to begin.

I think the topic "My Younger Buff Years" replies # 2 and # 3 dated May, 2009 on this site describes it best.

So here is that link.

Last edited:
I graduate high school in the Summer of 1967 as I await my first semester of going to that Community College. But that community college is still being built. It will take about a year or so to be completed. As a result, the first year of classes for the college will be in a high school in nearby Stratford, Ct. But those college classes will have to be done in the evening hours.

So the plan for the Summer, 1967 is to work fulltime at the drug store, then part time in the day when those college classes begin. But working at that drug store is about to change.

My neighbor down the street is a mailman in Westport, Ct. He says to me; "Willy, why don't you take the test for the post office" ? I never gave it a thought but I asked him, "how much do they pay" ? I also tell him I got to go to this college in the Fall. He tells me they make $3.51 and hour, and you can work part time or full time.
WOW, $3.51 an hour !!! That's almost Three times what I'm making now at $1.25/hr (minimum wage).

I take the test at the main post office in Bridgeport. I go in that room and I'm the only one there. I thought maybe I'm here the wrong day. I ask a guy there "is this where I go to take the post office test" ? He says yes and tells me; "You're the only one taking it and if you pass the test, you got the job".
(It sure ISN'T LIKE THAT THESE DAYS. Hundreds now take that test trying to get that job).
They ask me to fill out a paper listing the three areas where I might be interested in working. I put - Part Time in Bridgeport, Fairfield, or Stratford, closest to my home.

Within two weeks I get notified that I passed the test and they offer me a part time morning job unloading/loading mail trucks from 5 am to 9:30 am - Tuesday-Saturday. The job is in Westport, two towns away, but what I consider TWO Different Worlds Away. From Bridgeport's tough neighborhood streets to the home of the Rich and Famous like Paul Newman (played in Fort Apache the Bronx), Martha Stewart, Jim McKay. Of course I take that offer. In addition to that, I could always become a full time letter carrier or clerk when the time comes. Plus my time will count should I go into the military.
The Viet Nam War is going on at this time. If this college thing doesn't work out, I'm willing to do my part. If that happens, when I come out of the military at least I'll have a good, steady job waiting for me that I can make a career of if I don't get on the fire dept.

I say good bye to Woody's Drug Store and I start my new job unloading and loading those mail trucks. I find out those bags of mail are a lot heavier than I thought. Plus some of those packages are pretty heavy too.

Now I'm also going to that Community College in the evening. But as a few weeks go by, "honestly, I'd rather be working unloading/loading the trucks than going to that college". Even as the colder weather is starting to kick in. This college thing just isn't for me and my grades are starting to show it.
I'd rather be unloading those trucks on a cold/damp cement platform instead.

Of course my overall goal is "I Just Wanna Be A Fireman".

Last edited:
Working at that Post Office job is tough, hard work. Especially, getting up about 3:45 AM to be at work for 5:30 AM. But it's giving me alot more cash than I had before and there is nobody standing over me like in that drug store.

My college classes are all scheduled for between 6 PM and 10 PM, but I really HATE every minute I'm there. It's just not my thing learning about Shakespeare or how to figure out some long, tough mathematical theory.

Actually I spend more of my time at home on an Arco Book called "Fireman", which gives practice questions in preparing for a fireman's (firefighters) job than on my college books.

A couple of months go by and our final exams for the Fall Semester have approached. I am NOT ready for them at all. I'd need a great score to pass because I'm probably averaging a low "C" to high "D" average. So the day has arrived as I sit in that school parking lot, forcing myself to try and read those books. Of course the scanner is tuned into both the Stratford and Bridgeport Fire Depts as I do that.

Then I hear on that scanner; "Signal 29, Signal 29". That is the code used for a building fire assignment in Bridgeport.
"This is reported to be a house fire on Cowles St, between Stratford Ave and the dead end". "The following companies respond; Engine 8, Engine 6, Engine 1, Truck 6 and Squad 5".

Cowles St is a small dead end street that I grew up on until I was about 13-14 years old. There are only about 20 houses on that street. Mostly 2 1/2 frames, 3 story frames, and a few Queen Anns.

My life is about to change again. Engine 8 first on the scene reports a working fire on the second floor. I close those college books for the FINAL Time. I'm going to the fire. No more schooling for me. "I just Wanna be a Fireman".

When I get on the scene I find it's the house I used to live in. I forget all about that final exam. The chief calls for an additional Truck Co and that's Truck 5, the one my father works on, but he's not working that day. I can't wait to tell my mother and father about what just happened. When I finally do get home, I tell them about the fire in the house we used to live in. I have no thought about taking that final exam and that's the first thing my father questions me about. He's really NOT too happy about what I did.

He tells me that I'm NOT hanging around, so start making plans to go into the service. Meantime I file to get a fulltime letter carrier or mail clerks job. But that is based on seniority and there are no fulltime openings unless I want to go to other places further away. I am happy where I'm working so either there in Westport or any of the other three towns closer to me (Bridgeport, Fairfield, Stratford).

While I keep my part time job I focus more on studying for the firefighters test, plus now I can join the YMCA where my father goes to work out and run the inside track there. I also get to meet a couple more guys that are on the fire dept too. But the job now is for me to join the military and I do just that.

I am now scheduled to go into the Army for my basic training at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, February ('68) to serve our country. Meanwhile I will be able to keep my job at the U.S. Post Office and my military time will count. Plus I'm sure to get the first fulltime opening when I'm done. In addition to that, most places, including Bridgeport, where I really want to be a Fireman, gives 5 extra points added to the final exam for those who serve in the U.S. Military. Of course I'll miss my friends and family. But a lot of my friends are also going into the military too. Of course I'll miss chasing those fire trucks too.

But throughout life there are always changes. Sometimes good, sometimes NOT so good. Generally speaking, if we have our good health, food to eat and a roof over our heads, "we have everything". We need to be very THANKFUL For That.

I say that because at that time, "I am about to get a devastating blow that I really NEVER expected". It could affect all my hopes and dreams of:
"I Just Wanna Be A Fireman".

Willy, funny you should mention the Post Office. I too graduated high school in '67, should have been '66 but I liked it so much I stayed an extra year lol, and went to work as a carrier. I was assigned to the GPO on 33rd and 8th and each day 4 guys and myself boarded a truck and went to deliver mail and packages in the Empire State Building. We spent the whole day there, every day. I was employed by the Postal Service and got the call for Civil Service and the rest is history and a long story. Carrier badge number 5353 and I forget what the box key number was.

It is now February, 1968. I will be taking a Military Leave from my part time post office job and going to Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. Of course the cold winter is here and I've been told it's even colder in Missouri.

But about two days before I am scheduled to leave, I get pretty sick. The next day "I get Worse", so my father decides to bring me to Park City Hospital Emergency Room. After evaluation they tell us; "I can NOT begin my military service the next day". They tell us to contact the Army Recruiter that I talked to and explain what's going on. The hospital also gives me some pills to take for two weeks.

The Army Recruiter gets back to us after speaking with his commanding officer. I am told; "You BETTER be on that bus tomorrow heading to Fort Leonard Wood". "If you're sick we'll take care of you there".

So the next day comes and I leave from the Bridgeport Bus Terminal on my way to Fort Leonard Wood, "sick or no sick". As I remember, it was about a two day trip. Of course while I'm on the bus I take those pills as prescribed.

I arrive and sure enough, "it's much colder there with snow and ice on the ground". As we get off the bus the drill instructor is there to greet us. As we step off the bus he screams in our ears, "Get down and crawl". I'm sure other guys here can relate to this. I guess the party is about to begin. Not only am I sick but we all get the Shit scared out of us.

Now we go into this big area inside and we are told "get rid of any weapons, pills, etc. They pass the plastic bag around and I better get rid of those pills the hospital gave me. I have officially begun my U.S. Army Basic Training. But now as the days and nights go by, my health issue seems to be getting worse. So I go for a check up. The Army doctor puts me right into the Military Hospital.

Of course now I go through many tests and receive IV's etc. It has been about a week and a half now when the doctor comes in and says to me: "We found something wrong with your heart and you will be getting discharged with an Honorable Discharge under Medical Conditions". That certainly is NOT what I want to hear.

My days of ever becoming a Fireman are now over. Yes, I can return to the Post Office job and I will at least be able to get that Fulltime at some point. But "I JUST WANNA BE A FIREMAN".

Once I get better I will be assigned "CQ Duties", which basically means, I watch/clean the empty barracks or buildings and maybe answer a few phones. I am released to go home on my 86th day.

I remember when I pulled into that Bridgeport Bus Terminal, the city where I wanted to be a Fireman and follow in my fathers footsteps. I was so proud of him for the job he does and I wanted to do the same. Being a Fireman like my father was really the only job I ever thought about doing. But I guess that WON'T HAPPEN NOW. But at least I have a good job coming with the post office.
I remember thinking to myself, maybe I'll work at trying to be a Postal Inspector some day. I guess that could maybe be compared to a Fire Marshalls job. Postal Inspectors would investigate mail fraud and make arrest.

I contact the Post Office and tell them what happen. They take me back and in only about two months I am offered a fulltime letter carriers job there because a guy has retired.

I take that job and I am a walking Letter career in the center of Westport, Ct. Actually a pretty good job for a young guy.

Next - "My father gives me some very good advice".

A major disappointment. With this Medical Discharge from the Army, it looks like my chances of ever becoming a Fireman are over. Generally speaking I feel pretty good but that WON'T get me "the Job". I must face the facts. I now have a good job as a Letter Carrier,. I MUST Understand, "If that's what is meant to be - then so be it".

I now have a good paying job with good benefits that plenty of people across the country have supported their families on. But I still feel that "I just Wanna Be A Fireman". I spend some time talking about it to my father and he reassures me that I still have a good job and I should be Thankful for that.

But he also comes up with an idea for me to consider if "I Still Wanna Be A Fireman". He knows some guys from the department that had a few heart problems. Some guys had to get off the job because of it, but some were able to come back after treatment.

He tells me to set up an appointment with a cardiologist that many of the guys use. What he tells me is; "Whatever he says, I just have to accept". Maybe he can help, maybe Not. I'm all for it and at this point, "I really have NO other choice". My father convivences me that he's the guy that can help, if at all possible. "Whatever that doctor says - Goes". So I make the appointment. Besides I still have time anyway because in those days, MOST Places you have to be 21 years old to take the written exam for firefighter and I wasn't that age yet.

I go to the doctor and tell him why I'm there. So he puts me through all the test. The results are; he says to me; "If you exercise regularly, you MAY be able to help yourself". He wants me to come back in six months to see if there is any improvement. My plan is to do just what he says.

I am a Letter Carrier and I have the toughest walking route in the town. I have some hills to climb while carrying that bag. It's great for getting about 4-5 hours of good walking in. I now tell myself, "I'm getting paid to exercise". I also go to the local YMCA to exercise. At this time my chasing fire trucks is pretty much limited to Bridgeport, with NYC maybe once a month or so.

My father and that doctor have given me new reason NOT TO GIVE UP. But I do understand that if there IS a chance, "I need to do My Part". But I MUST ACCEPT THE OUTCOME WHATEVER THAT DOCTOR TELLS ME IN 6 MONTHS.

I have a brand new outlook on things. I now enjoy carrying that mail bag and walking that long, tough, mail route. I didn't know at the time that in a couple of years, "I would become one of the Most Famous Letter Carriers in the entire country". All I knew was that "I JUST WANNA BE A FIREMAN".

Meanwhile, a once famous song becomes my "Letter Carrier Theme Song". Maybe some of you remember it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG4MAzLiz1A

My career as a U.S. Letter Carrier begins. I am a fulltime mailman delivering mail in Westport, Ct. My days off are Sundays and Mondays. A very good job for a young guy who is interested in NOT becoming a millionaire, but looking for something steady with good benefits. But of course, my goal is that I STILL WANNA BE A FIREMAN.

Of course one additional benefit to this job is that I'm being paid to walk Five Days a week. The area includes the center of Westport (including their fire headquarters) but also into a suburban area of homes. One of those homes includes the Chief of the Westport Fire Dept and when he sees me we also talk and I tell him that I JUST WANNA BE A FIREMAN. He gives me ice water on those hot humid days and a cup of hot coffee on those cold winter days. Sometimes a sandwich or something too. Of course he has since passed away many years ago.

Sometimes I get a chance to work some over time on what is called "A Mounted Route". That's when I get to deliver the mail from a truck to a mail box out on the street. The only time I have to get out of the truck is if I have a package to deliver or something needed to be signed. That area was called "Compo Beach" and where the mansions of famous people like Paul Newman, Martha Stewart and Jim McKay (Wide World of Sports) lived.

Meanwhile I share an apartment with a coworker of mine in Fairfield, Ct. Being a Fairfield resident now allows me to become a Volunteer Firefighter in that combination career/volunteer fire dept. I join Fire Station 3 which has a pumper with two career firefighters assigned, plus an old converted telephone company truck, to be used as a Rescue truck. It is given the name "Truck 15". Later when a newer used truck is put into service it becomes know as "Rescue 15".

We have a large group of mostly younger volunteers. Many of us want to become career firefighters and as volunteer firefighters, we are entitled to FIVE extra points on our final score on the Fairfield Firefighters test.

We have a separate Volunteer Fire Chief assigned to that firehouse with us. He is basically an administrator of the volunteer members as well as a coordinator between the career and volunteer members.

We have required training on Wednesday evenings given to us by the departments career fire captain in charge of training. His name is Captain Joe Elias and he is a great guy and way ahead of his time. It is the early 1970s and he's training us on the use of air packs, hurst tool, etc. I might add that the Regional Fire Training Academy in Fairfield has been named after him in his honor.

There are guys that show up at that firehouse every night. Two Volunteer members get to ride the engine with the two career guys and once the new Rescue 15 is put into service, about 6 guys could ride that. Many of us were also buffs and had started chasing the FDNY and of course the fires in Bridgeport.

Generally speaking, most of the career guys were willing to help us to become career firefighters. We would be encouraged to spend time going through the Arco Firefighters Exam book as well as keep in shape.

BUT - what about that cardiologist I was scheduled to visit for a follow up appointment. Well apparently all that walking delivering that mail, along with additional exercise paid off. The doctor told me this:
"I am a cardiologist and I can pick up your heart condition. BUT unless another cardiologist can pick it up in a exam for a firefighter, you should be okay as long as you continue with that exercise". A regular doctor may NOT be able to pick it up.
My question was then: "So if I want to be a Fireman, I should be okay with doing it" ? He then told me; "YES, but you must continue to exercise". It was a heart murmor that caused me to leave the military.

I continued with what I was doing, working as a letter carrier, being a volunteer firefighter and exercising. BUT now at least I have some hope.

Last edited: