The Other War Years

In "My Younger Buff Years" many of us talked about the Historically Busy WAR YEARS of the FDNY. Surely, no city fought more fires than the FDNY during the busy years of the late 60s, the 70s, and even into the 80s. But during that same time frame, there were also many Other Cities having their own set of War Years. The firefighters in many cities went to work knowing that they would be fighting a fire, or several fires before their shift was over. It was just such a busy time. In addition to buffing New York City, I spent many hours chasing the rigs in Providence, R.I. and Bridgeport, Ct. I also made occassional trips to many other cities. All were catching a HUGE Amount of working fires in those days. Whether it was Newark or Jersey City, Philly or Boston, Yonkers or Hartford, it was not "When" but "Where".
  I had many friends that fought those War Years Fires throughout most of their entire careers. That's all they knew. Go to the firehouse and fight fires. Most really didn't do EMS work at the time. My own brother went on the Bridgeport Fire Dept in 1977 and fought fires almost ever shift for his entire career. They really were "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters".
  I hope to tell a few stories of just what went on in some of those busy cities. And we hope you tell your stories too. Lets give credit to the many Firefighters that fought these fires in these busy neighborhoods and put their own lives in jeopardy on a Daily basis. Most are now off the job. They were Hard Working Heros that deserve to have their many stories told.

Bill:

Talking with some "old timers" from Norfolk VA FD, they too went through similar experiences. Norfolk is similar (maybe better) to Newark in its construction features, density, downtown (hi-Rise) area, socio-economic conditions. In the late 60's Norfolk had a tremendous amount of fires. Some of the retired fellas remember their Company's getting many "workers" each day.

I grew up in Bridgeport, Ct and my father was on the Fire Dept there. I chased fire trucks for as long as I can remember. From my bicycle days to now. I guess it's safe to say, "I've been a Buff for over Fifty Years". There sure has been alot of Big Jobs over those years.
 We lived in a single family home with a pretty decent view of the city. It was a decent street, except about six blocks away was one of Bridgeport's Tougher Housing Projects. It was called "Beardsley Terrace Apts". It was an entirely low income housing project with a total of Sixteen,-Eight story brick buildings. Bridgeport had several, and this was one of the Toughest. But the street we lived on was much better than the neighborhood we came from, off Stratford Ave. on Bridgeport's East End.
 I guess you could say; "I was born under the right stars". The book "Report from Engine 82" had just come out. It was around 1970 and portable scanners had just come out also. I had an eight channel crystal controlled scanner. At the time just about the number I needed to cover the Bridgeport area and FDNY. At that time it was the FDNYs Historic War Years, and I was lucky enough to be there to witness this busy time.
 In the meantime, Bridgeport would have their fires. They always did, but it wasn't a South Bronx. At least not yet. That is until #422 West Ave started. Number 422 West Ave was a Five story brick apartment building very similiar to what you would find on the streets of the South Bronx. It started with maybe a rubbish fire in the hallway. Next night maybe a fire in a vacant apartment. Then maybe two fires in the same night. Myself and a few buddies of mine who also buffed the South Bronx at the time, could almost plan on taking in a job there at night.
                         To be Continued - Bridgeports War Years

Continued-from "Bridgeport's War Years"
  Somehow, I had found out that most of the people that lived there (422 West Ave), had been burned out from the South Bronx and were beginning to make their new home in "Suburban" Bridgeport. As they got burned out, the city had to find new apts for them. There were more people moving in from Arson Prone areas of New York City. Moving vans from NYCs neighborhoods were showing up now in various other neighborhoods in Bridgeport. I'm sure most people were decent, but as Bridgeport's fires started to skyrocket to never before seen paces, I'm sure a few had some prior experience in setting fires. Besides, like NYC, if you got burned out, you would be put at the top of the list for newer, better housing.
  It was around 1975/1976 when things really started picking up for Bridgeport. I'm sure alot of other Connecticut Poorer Cities were feeling the same effects.
  My goal is to try and tell the story of what these Busy Bridgeport Firefighters did during those very tough years of fighting fires. It went on until about the 1990s. I will add to this as time goes on.
  In addition, I hope others will tell their stories of cities that had their own War Years. Many did and we'd like to hear them. I also hope to tell some of my experiences buffing Providence, R.I. They too caught their share of work in those days, and had their extremely busy Fourth of July's. So I hope to add to these as time goes on.  

FDNY150 said:
LA County Station 51 was hopping!!!  ;)  ;D
Yes, the TV Show "Emergency" would be watched across the country as two L.A. County Fire Paramedics would save lives every week. The last few minutes always had the very impressive "Structure Fire". Names like Gage and Desoto, Dr Bracket, and Nurse Dixie were familiar to just about everyone who watched the TV. Because of that show, people began to expect a fire truck to respond to a medical call. But for some cities during that time, it just wasn't that easy. They were just too busy fighting fires. Whether it was a car fire, dumpster fire, rubbish fire or a building fire, something was always burning.
  What we saw on the TV Show Emergency, didn't really tell the story of what some of the northeast ghetto cities were facing at the time. I say the "northeast" because those were the one's I was most familiar with. I'm sure it was the same story in cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, or D.C. etc.
  The smell of smoke never left the firehouse. All the gear hanging on the racks was always wet. The helmets were twisted and covered with soot and plaster. The hose never dried. Moral was high,and everybody loved what they did.
  Unfortunately the TV show "Emergency", never showed that. And they never showed the look on those Ghetto Firefighters that carried out the bodies, who were the innocent victims of these War Years Fires.

B

Bigandy

I have my Grandfather's old leather helmet. It's beat to shit. And I remember him always saying to my Dad before he went on the job. "If only helmets could talk."

Nfd2004, absolutly right again, that is where I started watching on "Nik at night" on cable. Came from a family of Police, first one to break it , then my brother (who is the job,now, L154 Queens,NY). I still hear stories same thing in the 70's and half of 80's. Cities here, such as Memphis were burning and Nashville. I know Memphis took a REAL beating when MLK was shot. That continued well during the "Crack Epidemic". Considering these Dept's only ran EMS, they were the ONLY Ambulance in town. Most GSW's went by PD to the Hosp. To long to wait and always had a mini riot (old timers, tell me).

From the late 1970's, throughout the 1980's, and into the 1990's, much of the inner-ring suburbs of Pittsburgh saw heavy fire activity.  As the sharp decline of the steel industry in the area declined, unfortunately so did the areas and the infrastructure.  Fires in not only private dwellings, but also in commercial and abandoned factory-type buildings plagued the areas.  As most towns outside of the City of Pittsburgh are protected by volunteer FD's, it was pretty normal (and still is), to see VFDs from numerous surrounding towns at the same call, with others on stand-by.

One of these such fires happened on Corey Avenue, Braddock, PA, on March 30, 1985.  My hometown, Rankin, PA is one of the neighboring towns, and the Rankin VFD was one of the first mutual aid companies called.  As the story is told, this particular fire threatened a large propane tank adjacent to the building to the point that water from the lines assigned to protect it began to steam, and the relief valve on top of the tank was starting to release.  Engaged companies were pulled back and the area was evacuated within approximately one square block.  One crew, not sure from where, with a few hand lines stayed within the area as a last-ditch effort, and miraculously, the tank was saved.  Stories from this fire are still being told in my FD, as well as probably every other Company that responded.  I was just shy of 3 years old when it happened, but the way the veterans tell these types of stories, as well as many others on here, its easy to picture what the conditions were like.

a8000398-b017-406b-9660-61642f6b362c.jpg

**Credit to original photographer for this picture!**

vbcapt said:
The Watts riots in L.A. City
 Oh Yes, the Watt's Riot of 1992. Anybody who was on the job in L.A. then sure hasn't forgotten it. Worst riots the U.S. has ever seen. If I remember it went on for three solid days. I have a DVD on it put out by somebody named "Alan Simmons". Last I heard, I think he's a B.C. out there.
And cities like Memphis and Nashville, not only had the fires to fight, I believe they also run the fire dept ambulances. And just like the War years had it's effects on many cities in the 70s and 80s, so did the "Crack Wars" of the 90s.
 And like Pittsburgh...., Providence, R.I. would get their busy nights and bring in many out of town companies to relocate, or go directly to the many fires. An example was the Fourth of July's where the City of Providence would respond to 200 fires, of which 8 were working building fires, (fire calls only, not counting EMS). This would occur as soon as it got dark until about 2 AM. In addition to the 15 Engines, and 8 Ladders, they would man each Reserve Engine, Three Brush Trucks, and use Two Task Forces of 1 Eng and 1 Lad each. Plus several out of town mutual aid companies.
  One Fourth of July night, I was buffing with a few friends more familiar with the area. We were headed to a Code Red, and as we got off the Exit there was a 2 1/2 frame, "fully involved" right in front of us. I said:"there it is". They told me: "No, that's another job, the one we're going to has Two Buildings on fire". We drove right by that job, just as the rigs were coming in. And they were right, the other job had two buildings on fire. The fire was creating its own wind, and it looked like a "fiery tornado". I thought the Providence F.D. would loose the entire block. But they did what they do best and held it to the orginial two buildings.

"Bridgeport's War Years" (con't)
  Around 1970, I lived in Bridgeport and had just started working as a Letter Carrier in Westport, Ct. At the time, Bridgeport had:
    Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, and 16. As I recall Engines 9 and 11 had been closed down a few years earlier. And there never was an Engine 13.
    Ladders 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, also a City Service Truck 12 carrying only ground ladders and no aerial. Just prior to that, Trucks 10, and 11 were also similiar Old Mack City Service Trucks.
    One Heavy Rescue at that time called "Squad 5" now called Rescue 5.
    I knew a lot of guys on the job there at the time. Alot of them were veterens of World War II, but never spoke of what they did or saw. They were very humble guys. I also had a few friends who were just a little older than I was, and had gotten on the job. One such friend worked on Truck 3. (The ladder co's at that time were referred to as Truck 3, Truck 5 etc.) He worked at the old Engine 3/Truck 3 Firehouse on Norman St. Whenever he was working, I would go to the firehouse and hang out. My friend there was also a buff of FDNY, so we would have plenty to talk about. Truck 3 was also a pretty busy Ladder Co because they responded "first due" to the State St area and the streets off there. A huge amount of wood frames and old commerical buildings.
                ...CONTINUED...

"Bridgeport's War Years" (con't)
  My visits to that firehouse were usually in the evening. If I had to work the next day, I would usually leave around 10 PM. But if I was off the next day, and my buddy was working, I'd visit until about 2 AM. I think about it now, and the guys at the firehouse must have said to themselves; "Doesn't this kid ever go home". Maybe it was because my father was on the job that they didn't chase me out. This was in between my trips to the South Bronx, which had already been burning. There really was no time to chase the ladies. Besides, the women just didn't understand. I was just too wrapped up in this fire dept thing. (until I met the right one who I've been married to for over 33 years now). If a job came in, I would get in my car and follow that American LaFrance Tiller through the streets. I loved watching the tillerman manuever the back of that rig though the streets.
  I learned a pretty good lesson one night at one of the first jobs I took in with them. It was an old Furniture Store on State St. Fire was blowing out the front doors on arrival. I was right behind Eng 3 and Truck 3 as they pulled up. It was what a fire buff dreams about. I parked right behind Truck 3 as the aerial ladder went up to the roof and the guys on the Engine started putting water on the fire. Other rigs were coming in and the Engines were dropping lines from the hydrants a few blocks away. It was Great until I realized I was blocked in by hoses and rigs. It wasn't until 3 AM that I was finally able to get out. I had just enough time to get home, and shower to remove the smoke smell, and be at work 5:30 AM. Of course I was dragging at work that next day. But it sure was worth it. When I got home from work, I rested a little bit, and then went back to the firehouse to see my buddies and talk about the fire.

Jez Bill, you've been married 33 years but with all the buffing, have you ever seen her?............LOL

fdce54 said:
Jez Bill, you've been married 33 years but with all the buffing, have you ever seen her?............LOL

I probadly did spend a lot more time buffing than most wives would allow. Now for a little free marriage counseling. As it goes, most of us married guys know,  "You can't live with them, and you can't live without them". For me, it was just a little more sided towards "you can't live with them" and it actually worked.
  All kidding aside, just a real lucky guy I guess. Before we got married I told her, "this is my thing" and she just accepted it. As I tell people, "I hope we can do Another 33 years" and if we're really lucky, another 33 after that. She's a Great wife, and she is just getting over lung cancer. Never smoked etc. I sure appreciate her even more now.

mack

Administrator
Washington DC had a lot of fire activity in the 1960s and 1970s.  There were the infamous riots DCFD faced:

WASHINGTON, D.C. ENGINE CO. 4, "1960's"
Washington DC Fire Department 1968 riots

I remember visiting a DC firehouse with my dad in the 1970s.  The guys were very professional, friendly and shared the mutual experiences of companies responding to an overwhelming number of runs, fires and false alarms during a period of time when the public treated DCFD poorly.  Members believed that they were operating with less money because Congress had passed a "Home Rule" bill which established the current DC government with mayor and city departments.   I think they were still running with open cab trucks and 2 piece engine companies.  

nfd, Glad to hear about your wife, beating Cancer. Way to go!!!! Congrats on 33 years. I been with Kelly for 4 years now.Not married, trying to keep it that way. Same thing nfd, explained to Kel that this was my hobby and firefighting is my life. It's a culture. In the begining she didn't understand how it is a hobby. After having taken her to several fires and countless of firehouse's on Vacations--I owe it to her. Now she will point one out for me. She is my best friend and the most understanding and caring humans I have met. Do think we need to "thank" them(wifes), for understanding and excepting us JUST they way we are.

Bill, good to be lucky. Wish I had been lucky. Sorry to bring up a bad subject but glad to hear the Mrs. is ok.

Thanks guys for the kind words on my wife Helen (AKA Pumpkin). Somebody said on here that we are kind of family. I think it was Rob (RDM). I think that's true. I've been in contact with many on here. We talked about where we work (or worked), our families, and of course what we all have in common, FDNY and fire depts. Let me just say; "Really some GREAT People on here, from all walks of Life". So much for that.
 "Mack" thanks for posting the DCFD videos. That D.C. Fire Dept sure saw its share of work in those days. I think they ran 33 Engines, 15 Trucks, and 3 Rescues. Plus they run the ambulance. I believe they use firefighters for those ambulances. I think for several years, Washington, D.C.s Engine 10 held the record for number of runs in the country.(includes EMS runs).
 A very Busy Dept Then, and Today. There are a couple of good web sites out there on the DCFD.
                www.DCFD.com