I Just Wanna be a FIREMAN

Ray Heatherton of Rockville Centre, NY was the "Merry Mailman". He was also famous for being the father of Joey Heatherton, who was one of the sex symbols of the 60's . . .

!.jpg

Well, as it stands at this point, "I am the Merry Mailman for the business district and some of Connecticut's Most Richest Citizens".

My theme song is "Wait a Minute Mr Postman".

I am happy to have a good, steady job that I know I can make a rewarding career just like the many thousands of Post Office employees across the country had done. Consisting of the Post Office Clerks, the Supervisors, both the City and Rural Letter Carriers, the Truck Drivers and Dock Workers, throughout the thousands of Post Offices across America.

But of course, "I Just Wanna Be A Fireman".

I have now also been able to become a Volunteer Firefighter in Fairfield, Ct. It's a fairly active department and my brother George, who also wants to become a firefighter and who rode FDNYs Rescue 2 with me in 1968/69, becomes a Volunteer Firefighter in Fairfield, Ct too.

We are now looking at 1972/1973. For both my brother and myself, two young guys that are into it the FDNY War Years are also going on. Being only about 50 miles from the streets of the South Bronx and Harlem, we are also chasing the busiest fire companies in the world, that of the FDNY.

During this time, I also take my First Written Test for Firefighter in Stamford, Ct. It is one of the best paying fire department jobs in the state and also the First City that I knew of in Connecticut to open the testing process up to NON City Residents.

As a result, there's a flood of Wanna Be's. I learn that OVER 2,000 are scheduled to take the test with only about twenty openings.

I pass the test but certainly NOT high enough to even be considered for the other phases of the entire testing process. So back to Square ONE. I just chalk it up to experience and know I gotta work harder on it.

Meanwhile back to the Letter Carrier Job as we enter into the year 1973. We get word that the Once Familiar Post Office will now become the Postal Service. The only thing that changes for us is our uniform patch.

But we also learn that a local artist/photographer will be designing a series of Ten new postage stamps featuring the various kinds of jobs within that new Postal Service. He will be doing it using three post offices here, including the one I work at.

One day my boss says to me, "Willy the guy that's designing the new stamps is going to be following you around today taking pictures". He says "maybe you'll have your picture on a stamp". "I COULD CARE LESS, I Just Wanna Be a Fireman". So he follows me around, he takes a lot of pictures and we talk. Actually he's a real decent guy. As I remember this is around February or early March, 1973. I tell him take all the pictures you want but I'm planning on being a Fireman.

The New Series of Stamps are released on April 30, 1973. I get my picture on a stamp and a Large Poster lining the walls of every post office in the country. Up until that time you had to either be President of the United States or First Man on the Moon. I guess that makes me kinda famous but EVERYBODY knows "I Just Wanna Be a Fireman".

But for you the viewers, here's a picture of that very much younger Willy D, aka "NFD2004".
Yes, I know what you're thinking; "Like Stainless Steel and Loaded with Sex Appeal".

www.mysticstamp.com/Products/United-States/1497/USA?

Last edited:
Up until that time you had to either be President of the United States or First Man on the Moon. I guess that makes me kinda famous but EVERYBODY knows "I Just Wanna Be a Fireman".

Now, Willy, I know of another kind of photo that used to appear on Post Office walls . . . so I got to digging, and sure enough, I found that picture of you that was right up there with all the others . . . it's a pretty good likeness, too . . . !wd.jpg

Well, as it stands at this point, "I am the Merry Mailman for the business district and some of Connecticut's Most Richest Citizens".

My theme song is "Wait a Minute Mr Postman".

I am happy to have a good, steady job that I know I can make a rewarding career just like the many thousands of Post Office employees across the country had done. Consisting of the Post Office Clerks, the Supervisors, both the City and Rural Letter Carriers, the Truck Drivers and Dock Workers, throughout the thousands of Post Offices across America.

But of course, "I Just Wanna Be A Fireman".

I have now also been able to become a Volunteer Firefighter in Fairfield, Ct. It's a fairly active department and my brother George, who also wants to become a firefighter and who rode FDNYs Rescue 2 with me in 1968/69, becomes a Volunteer Firefighter in Fairfield, Ct too.

We are now looking at 1972/1973. For both my brother and myself, two young guys that are into it the FDNY War Years are also going on. Being only about 50 miles from the streets of the South Bronx and Harlem, we are also chasing the busiest fire companies in the world, that of the FDNY.

During this time, I also take my First Written Test for Firefighter in Stamford, Ct. It is one of the best paying fire department jobs in the state and also the First City that I knew of in Connecticut to open the testing process up to NON City Residents.

As a result, there's a flood of Wanna Be's. I learn that OVER 2,000 are scheduled to take the test with only about twenty openings.

I pass the test but certainly NOT high enough to even be considered for the other phases of the entire testing process. So back to Square ONE. I just chalk it up to experience and know I gotta work harder on it.

Meanwhile back to the Letter Carrier Job as we enter into the year 1973. We get word that the Once Familiar Post Office will now become the Postal Service. The only thing that changes for us is our uniform patch.

But we also learn that a local artist/photographer will be designing a series of Ten new postage stamps featuring the various kinds of jobs within that new Postal Service. He will be doing it using three post offices here, including the one I work at.

One day my boss says to me, "Willy the guy that's designing the new stamps is going to be following you around today taking pictures". He says "maybe you'll have your picture on a stamp". "I COULD CARE LESS, I Just Wanna Be a Fireman". So he follows me around, he takes a lot of pictures and we talk. Actually he's a real decent guy. As I remember this is around February or early March, 1973. I tell him take all the pictures you want but I'm planning on being a Fireman.

The New Series of Stamps are released on April 30, 1973. I get my picture on a stamp and a Large Poster lining the walls of every post office in the country. Up until that time you had to either be President of the United States or First Man on the Moon. I guess that makes me kinda famous but EVERYBODY knows "I Just Wanna Be a Fireman".

But for you the viewers, here's a picture of that very much younger Willy D, aka "NFD2004".
Yes, I know what you're thinking; "Like Stainless Steel and Loaded with Sex Appeal".

www.mysticstamp.com/Products/United-States/1497/USA?
Come on Willy, that's not you. There's no big belly on that guy or food stains all over his clothing. We're not going to fall for you claiming it's you.

With taking my first written test for Fireman in Stamford, Ct, even though I pass the written, by the numbers I don't have a chance. So I move on.

My next try is in Fairfield, right where I am a volunteer fireman. Getting on that job would be GREAT and I'll also get five extra points added to my final score.

The written test scores come out and I did pretty well. Next will be the agility test where we will run around a track, do a standing broad jump, climb over a wall and do a minimum of five, palms forward, pull ups. I practice for weeks and physically, "I am ready". It is a Pass or Fail test.

BUT - I am about to LEARN A LESSON because of my own STUPID Wrong Doings.

There's a place in Bridgeport called "The Parkwood Lounge". Some of us more younger guys would sometimes hang out there because there are hot looking dancing girls, we have a few drinks, "well you know the story".

It's a Friday night and the agility test is the next morning on Saturday at 9 am. My buddies talk me into going there. "Oh come on Willy, you're in good shape, you'll pass that test". My Guardian Angel tells me "DON'T DO IT Willy". But the Devil in me says "Oh go ahead, enjoy yourself - you'll be all set".

You guys guessed it. I partied up a storm. Put down a few too many drinks and got home way later than I should have. The alarm clock goes off after only a couple hours sleep and I'm not ready at all. Somehow I show up in time.

I struggle to get through it. The Chief of Department, Dave Russell is there.
(His son later became a FDNY member and I believe retired as a Lt from Engine 62 / Ladder 32. His nickname was "Rambo". Some of us from this site met him a couple of years ago at LaGuardia Airport where he was the Commanding Officer of the Fire Department).

Giving that agility test is also the Fairfield FD Training Officer, Captain Joe Elias, who many of us knew from his training the Volunteers.

It is my turn to do the agility. Somehow I make it except for the pull ups. I struggled to do Three of them and had to give up. Not meeting the required Five.

The result - "I FAILED". It was my own mistake and it was a LESSON LEARNED. I had the job but I blew it. I would NEVER Do That AGAIN.

My father, who was on the job in Bridgeport, which borders Fairfield, and he was good friends with Capt Elias. He asked Capt Elias, what happen. He told my father that I just gave up doing those pull ups and that he could NOT pass me.

Once again, "Back to Square One". A very tough lesson learned by loosing out on this job. But "I Just Wanna Be A Fireman" and I will also be taking the upcoming test for Washington, DC, Bridgeport, and Norwich, Ct. My goal of course; "I wanna be a Fireman in Bridgeport where my father is". I know a lot of guys there, my friends are there and the FDNY only 53 miles from my house to the Third Ave Exit off the Cross Bronx Expressway, with the FDNY War Years in full swing. Plenty of fire activity going on within a few miles of that exit.

Last edited:
A friend of mine, Bill Homa, who is also a Volunteer Fireman with me in Fairfield tells me that Norwich is giving a test. We have no idea where the place is, so we look it up on the map and we both file to take the written test.

The day of the written test, we both count about a hundred guys taking it. But we have no idea of how many openings there are. We get up there early to find the high school where the test will be given. We also ride around the place to check it out. Surprisingly, parts of it reminds us of a small Bridgeport with it's closely packed 2 1/2 and 3 story frames, it's old factories, and the downtown area having some old 4 or 5 story apartment/commercial buildings.

About three weeks go by and we get the results of the written test. I am number 3 and my buddy is number 15. About a week goes by and I want to find out how many openings there are so I go back up there and talk to the guys about the job.

I find fire headquarters which is an old three story brick firehouse similar to some seen in NYC. I go in to talk to the guys about the job. There's an American LaFrance Pumper, a small Rescue Truck that is similar to what I would call "a box type ambulance, a chiefs car, and an open cab Seagrave Tiller Truck, maybe about a 1962/63. The guys tell me about the hours, pay, etc and it's similar to Bridgeport. As I'm talking to the guys, the bells come in. It's a pull box and the rigs are heading out. I am totally impressed. Especially seeing that big ladder truck pull out and then watching that tiller man turning the corner.

The guys had told me there was only one opening but the list was good for two years, and they expected a few more retirements.

I take the agility test and this time I PASS. Now my hopes are up. In a few weeks I get called for an interview with the Chief of Department, Chief Ed Breen. First thing he asks me is "Why do I want to be a Fireman". I sure had no trouble with that; "my fathers on the job in Bridgeport, that's the job that I really want to do, and I'm also a volunteer fireman in Fairfield".

The Chief tells me if I am offered the job, I must become a resident of the city and become an EMT within one year. He says most of the EMT classes will be on my own time, but if I'm working they will get a guy to cover for me while I go to class. He tells me the EMT program within the dept is new and about 10 guys of the current 55 (?) have become EMTs.

I tell my brother to come up with me and I want to show him around. He's about 18 or 19 years old at the time and a "Wanna Be/Buff" too. So we take the 75 mile trip up there. We head into the downtown area where a lot of those 4, 5 story brick buildings are and we see a charged line coming off the hydrant. "The guys got a JOB right up the street". It is a mattress burning in one of the rented rooms of the YMCA. The guys pretty much have it knocked down but we are both impressed. "I sure hope I get this job".

A couple of months go by and I get another letter asking if I am still interested in getting the job. If so I need to take a medial exam. The letter tells me that I am to contact Dr Sears Office on Main St and to set up an appointment within three weeks. Of course I call and make that appointment as soon as possible.

The day I go to get my medical exam, again my brother comes with me. As we approach the doctors office we see fire trucks about two blocks up the street. These guys got another job. I couldn't believe it.

There's several hose lines laid out in the street, the ladder is up to the roof and this is directly across the street from the doctors office where I am supposed to go.

The fire is in a four story old brick building with a bar on the first floor and apartments about. The fire is knocked down but I see fire trucks from places I never heard of before. I'm guessing a large mutual aid response. The doctors office is directly across the street from where the fire is. My brother stays outside and watches while I go inside to the second floor where Dr Sears office is.

It is now my turn to go into the examining room. Dr Sears says to me, "you're here for a fireman's physical" and I tell him "yes". Then he starts to tell me about the fire across the street. He says it started about 10 am and it's now 2:30 pm. He also says he thinks some guys got taken to the hospital.

He now checks my hearing, eyesight and blood pressure. He then checks my heart just by listening. He looks at me and says: "You want to be a Fireman right". I answer "yes sir".

Then he says to me; "Well as far as I'm concerned, you can go out and get your uniform now". I SUCESSFULLY PASSED THAT PHYSICAL. I am one very happy young man. The job I worked at so hard to get - may actually be coming true.

I go outside and find my brother whose been watching the fire. The Chief of Department, Chief Breen, who interviewed me sees me standing there. He calls me over and asks; "Did you pass your medical" ? I told him "Yes Chief I did". He tells me, "okay, just call the office tomorrow and the secretary will tell you what to do".

I notice the Chief is wearing a patch over his eye. He starts telling me about the fire and how it started in the basement from a leaking oil tank and spread up the stairs. He says a lot of guys had to go to the hospital for smoke inhalation and burning eyes. He also tells me that I will probably be starting soon.

Finally, it looks like I got the job. I can't wait to go home and tell my father about everything. I get home just in time for the 6 O'clock news and there is the fire on the local news.

I call the Chiefs secretary the next day and she says she will send me a letter of what I need and when I can start. I get that letter around May 1st and it tells me my starting date is Monday, May 25, 1975. I will need to buy my work uniform at the local uniform store (Pollicks Uniform) before my start date.
I will report to Captain John Donohue in work uniform at fire headquarters, located at 24 Chestnut St at 7 am

After five years of working as a U.S. Letter Carrier, I give my notice to the Post Office that I will be leaving. I will miss the guys and the job too. But they all know this is something I really wanted. My boss tells me that any money that I contributed to the pension, I will get back. (Later I use that money to by my home that I still live into today).

Also I had taken two other test for Fireman.
One was for Firefighter - Washington, DC. But now if called, I would stay here in Ct only 75 miles from my family and friends. Plus still get to buff the FDNY as the so called: FDNY WAR Years are taking place.
I also took the written test for Fireman in Bridgeport but that test would be tied up in court dealing with Affirmative Action issues for about two years.

I remember a saying that when it came to becoming a Fireman, it was my motto: "If they open the door for you, you got to walk in and take it".

I am about to begin the career I worked so hard to get. (Yes, It was ALL Worth It)

The day is finally here. I walk into that big old red brick firehouse and one of the guys tells me to go up the stairs, turn left, and see the captain in his office. The captain introduces himself and tells me his name is Captain Donohue. He tells me I'll be riding the Squad step and that the driver will show me the equipment carried. Then he tells me that we need to go upstairs to the third floor to get some gear. When we get up there he shows me a pile of "used" gear and he says "take a coat, boots and a helmet that fits".

Of course nothing really fits me but I am not about to complain. I'm just happy I finally got on the job.

Then the captain tells me to go downstairs and Tom Scolaro will tell me what to do. Tom tells me to put my gear on the back step of the rig. He starts to show me what I should do if we need to lay a line. Fortunately for me, I was taught how to do that when I was a volunteer firefighter. Tom also shows me the equipment in the bunker boxes and on the rig. He tells me that this rig is called Squad "A" and it is the busiest rig in the six square miles we cover. Of course that's exactly what I want.

There is NO Probie School Training. It is all "on the job" training. So I'm happy for the years I served as a volunteer in Fairfield and got some great training from the departments training officer, Captain Joe Elias.

After being shown the equipment on the rig, Tom then shows me the housework job. I will be cleaning the bunk room, locker room, and the rest room. Also at shift change, I will be the guy to clean the kitchen.

I am upstairs cleaning and my first run comes in. It comes over the P.A. "Squad Crew to the main floor". We get a verbal for a car leaking gas about a half a block up the road. Tom just pulls the rig out and the captain and myself walk up to the corner where a car is leaking some gasoline from it's tank. I just wash it down the storm drain using the booster. (Yes, that's the way we did it 45 years ago).

For me what a disappointment. No fire, no riding the rig, no lights and no siren.

Then we sit down to have lunch. The guys start talking to me. Along with that comes some firehouse ball busting and I seem to be the brunt of it.

We finish the meal and I start to clean up the kitchen. Another junior guy helps me out with cleaning the kitchen. His name is Richie Brennan and he tells me, "don't worry about what those guys say about you, they're just trying to test you". They did it to me too. I tell him that I was beginning to think that these guys hate me. They sure were tough. No mercy at all.

After we finish, Richie says to me you better go downstairs and check out the rig. Just as I get to the apparatus floor the bells start to ring, Box 351 has been pulled. Somebody yells out "Box 351, Washington and Green". I put on my gear and get on the back step. Press the buzzer twice to let Tom know I'm ready to go. Next to me is the Seagrave Tiller Ladder truck and they are ready to go too.

We are out the door pretty quick with the siren and air horns blasting. Down Broadway, right onto Main St, through downtown. As we go I'm thinking "Ain't this Great". But I also think about what I'm supposed to do when we get there. Which hose line do I take ? Will I be hooking up to the hydrant with the supply line. We get to the box location and it's nothing. A false alarm. We head back to the firehouse.

It is now about 3:30 pm and our shift ends at 5:00 pm. I started at 7:00 am.
Our schedule is Three Days 7am - 5 pm, followed by Three Days Off.
Then Three nights 5 pm to 7 am the next morning, followed by Three Days Off.

It's a great schedule for me as I still can have plenty of time to chase the fire trucks in New York City during their busiest years of fire activity.

Within the next year or so I buy a house and get married. The next 29 1/2 years fly by. I love the job but it all comes to an end when I walk out the doors of Norwich Fire Headquarters on Christmas night, December 25th, 2003 at 5 pm. After all the struggle and frustration of trying to get on the job - "It's ALL Over". I can't believe it. I should be happy but I walk out with a lot of sadness.
I tell people it's like I won the lottery, but lost my best friend at the same time.

Like most firefighters, we all have our stories to tell. We had our firehouse characters with their own personality. Our funniest stories to our saddest moments. From the coldest winter nights to the hottest summer days. From those false alarms to the biggest fires. We learned what made a guy tick and what ticked him off.
There is a huge amount of satisfaction in being a firefighter. You get to help so many people over the years.
We saw many changes over the years. Some good, some not so good.

But without a doubt, I was Blessed to be able to do the job I loved doing. As they say: "If you love your job - you never work a day in your life". That was me for sure.

I would gladly do it all over again if I could.

But that is no longer the case. There's a new generation of firefighters now. They still feel those cold nights or hot summer days. They still get their false alarms and big fires. Only difference being the faces and names have changed. Of a 60 man department, I worked with THREE of their fathers:

Retired Captain George Kuraz (RIP) as well as his son, now Retired Battalion Chief Jimmy Kuraz.
Retired Captain John Mathieu. His son Firefighter Nick Mathieu now on the job.
Retired Firefighter Rick Seitz. His son Lt Kyle Seitz now on the job.

We had one firefighter who worked as a firefighter with FDNYs, Engine 294. His name Captain Pat Curtin.

Also Lt Glen Watts was recently a guest on the Gettin Salty Podcast with his latest designed forcible entry tool.

They are what some people refer to as "The Rose City's Bravest" and I am very proud of the tradition that they carry on.

Finally, THANK YOU ALL here on www.nycfire for following my story.

Bill Dennis, aka Willy D (NFD2004)

Last edited:
Well Willy, at least one thing hasn't changed. You're still the brunt of all the ball breaking. And with all that cleaning you learned to do, when are you going to put it to good use and clean the "Buff Mobile"?

Christmas Day, 2003 at 5 pm "It All Came To An End".

The job that I worked so hard to get was now over.

For me it's a very "bitter/sweet" time. I tell people; "it's like I won the lottery and lost my best friend at the same time".

I had worked the day shift on Dec 23, 24, and 25th from 7 am to 5 pm. My relief guy would need to work Christmas Eve but because my wife would be celebrating Christmas Eve with her family in Bridgeport (75 miles away), I decided to stay and work Christmas Eve for my relief guy so he could spend time with his family.

One of the runs we make on Christmas Eve is to St Patricks Cathedral here in the city during a packed midnight Christmas mass. It's a cold night and we are having trouble trying to find the source of the alarm and it can't be reset. Meanwhile, with no sign of smoke or fire, people at that mass are not too happy that the fire dept can't get this matter under control. I'm thinking I'm here working for free and I would much rather be going to a fire or even a medical call, than running around on this wild goose chase. As it turned out some kid pulled several pull stations throughout the church.

Christmas Day, we are having a great meal. I can't believe it's coming to an end. I just talk to the guys about the job that I loved doing for almost 30 years and how things have changed.

The rigs have gone from standard transmission to automatic transmission.
There are no more pull boxes and no more bells, replaced by a voice alarm
Everybody has an air pack and a portable radio to use
We go to more medical calls than fire calls and everybody must be an EMT
No more on the job training, instead each new member must attend and pass a state run 40 hour/week, 14 week recruit school
A firefighter no longer dispatches for the area fire depts, instead all dispatching is done through civilian 911 dispatchers
Two of the four firehouses are closed. Also a rescue company is closed putting three firefighters on each rig rather than two.
Bunker gear is worn rather than a fire coat and three quarter rubber boots.
Nobody rides the back step anymore but rides inside a closed cab
Woman have also joined our ranks as firefighters, once only held by male members only

My official retirement day was January 1, 2004. Both myself and a Lt retired the same day.
I remember telling my father who was on the job in Bridgeport, Ct that I am NEVER going to retire from that job when I first got on. But he told me firefighting is a young person's job. As you get older you will realize that. "Smoke", as I used to call him, was right about that.

Both my brother and myself followed in his footsteps being firefighters, just like so many others have done. Whenever the three of us would get together, of course we would talk about the job. I remember how my mother hated that because she had a husband and two sons working that job. When we started talking about some of the fires we had gone to, "she didn't want to hear it". We kind of joked about it and told her how great the job was and how we liked doing it. But I guess having a husband and two sons doing a job that at times can be very dangerous, she didn't want to hear it - PERIOD.

Many years later I realized why she felt like that. One of our members here had a son on the fire dept and news was spreading of two firefighters that were in very serious condition. Both had worked the same shift, same company as that members son. I called him asking if his son was working. Yes he was. Over the next 8-10 hours or so he heard nothing from him. I think it was around 8 or 9 pm that he finally heard from his son. His son was okay but two members of his company were killed fighting that fire.
During those hours I worried myself about him. At that point I realized why my mother really didn't want to hear our stories about going to fires.

But these days whenever I see the rigs go by, I still wish I could be in that seat. The reality is though, about 5 or 6 years ago I got to ride a rig when a run came in. I hate to admit it, but I could hardly get up into the rig, let alone go fight some fire or climb a ladder.

But as they say: "If you love your job you never work a day in your life". Well that's exactly how I feel now and I know that there are a lot of guys who were firefighters and feel the same way. I was blessed in life to be able to do the job I loved so much.

Now there's a whole new generation of firefighters out there. They still put themselves in danger fighting fires and going to medical calls. Doing their best to save lives and property. Of course this year they also face the challenge of Covid, putting themselves at even more risk, along with their families.

I wish them all the best for a Happy and Safe Career. THANK YOU FOR THE JOB YOU DO.

Last edited: