List of Rigs Damaged/Destroyed from Sandy

As per the 23 aide it was flooded during some point in the storm they been running a spare ever since

also broad chanel engine 209.205 and there buses and a cheifs car... 209 the yellow one caught fire... i will try to upload pics later

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There was talk that the number of damaged vehicles could be as high as '90

Spoke to a light duty guy from the shops last night. He said Paidge Ave was flooded pretty good and lost about 15 rigs. Mostly engines. They were able to move the rest out of harms way.  He also said it was a mess from the sewage plant there and other stuff. And that they probably wouldn't be reoccuppying it anytime soon if ever. (that was his opinion.)

The city of Roswell, GA has donated a 1991 Sutphen pumper to Island Park (Nassau Co) to help replace the rigs they lost to Sandy.

http://roswell.patch.com/articles/roswell-donates-fire-truck-to-ny-city

3b7036929f17e724e4cf360c3e4c105

For someone not knowing alot about fdny. Whats on Paidge Ave? and the 15rigs.... Were they frontlines? New Seagraves?

Paidge St is a building that is a annex. At one point in ti,e it was manned by light duty members. It was a building that housed spare apparatus also located there was a fuel truck and other fleet maintenace vehicles. When I visted there the casson was there.

Here's a better picture of the Roswell, GTA Sutphen going to Island Park:

148097_10200089147815102_160246041_n.jpg

Also, West Hamilton Beach is getting a 1998 Horton ambulance from Georgetown, CT:

68243_10200089392421217_639328456_n.jpg

and Broad Channel is getting a 1988 Pierce from Bethel Park, PA:

Engine2_1.jpg

All 3 rigs courtesy of the Terry Farrell Firefighters Fund. Terry Farrell was a member of Rescue 4, and was lost on 9/11.  The fund's web site is here:

http://www.terryfund.org/

I am sure most of us subscribe to Fire Apparatus Journal. Jack Lerch does a great job updating FDNY, he was right on top after 9-11. Let's give Jack a chance to sort out all the information and give us a accurate assessment.

grumpy grizzly said:
I am sure most of us subscribe to Fire Apparatus Journal. Jack Lerch does a great job updating FDNY, he was right on top after 9-11. Let's give Jack a chance to sort out all the information and give us a accurate assessment.

Hmm true that might be our best bet. I do hope he does that so we can end the speculation as to which units were affected.

any rig that took a salt water bath will never be the same.  salt water reaks havoc on ant car or truck. the mechanics are going to see these same rigs coming back to them time after time with electrical malfunctions,  etc. for years.  hopefully the state will give the fdny some disaster relief money to buy some new rigs.  or maybe bloomberg could donate 1 or 90

squarewheels said:
any rig that took a salt water bath will never be the same.  salt water reaks havoc on ant car or truck. the mechanics are going to see these same rigs coming back to them time after time with electrical malfunctions,  etc. for years.  hopefully the state will give the fdny some disaster relief money to buy some new rigs.  or maybe bloomberg could donate 1 or 90

I read online that storms like Sandy could econe commonplace for NY every three to five years, instead of every 100 or so. FDNY has already had two incidents in the past eleven years where a great deal of apparatus have been damaged or destroyed beyond salvage. With a fleet as big and specialized as the FDNY's, it makes me wonder what kind of future contingency plans the department has in mind for when they lose large amounts of trucks like this.