New Squad Co for Staten Island

bstan270
Re: New Seagrave Squad Rescue Pumpers
? Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 06:29:10 PM ?
" As per Sept-Oct. Issue of FAJ, the add-on order for eight regular 2000gpm pumpers to Seagrave has been changed to seven regular 2000gpm pumpers, and 1000gpm rescue pumper. Possibly another Squad coming online? S.I.? Any scuttlebut? "
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tbendick
Re: New Seagrave Squad Rescue Pumpers
? Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 08:24:00 PM ?
'' Or just quality spare. ''

the above copy & pasted from page 15 under apparatus topic... " New Seagrave Squad Rescue Pumpers "  ( September 5, 2013 )  are the only mention of the 8th rescue pumper being ordered, but l remember more on the topic as it must be under a different topic, l will keep looking....

fdny747 said:
That looks like a brand new Rig? I thought 165 got a Rescue pumper for a reason are they going to get them a new one?

Ok, l found it... page 12 in " Apparatus " topic " Engine 165 to Squad 165 "started January 28, 2014 .... probably explained there, there's 10 pages to read there... emphasis on reply 25 & 33 - 34. ....

68jk09 said:
Signal73 said:
Photo was sent to me. I know photographer

The new SQ*8 Rig is the former ENG*165 Rescue Pumper....165 already has 154s old rig & 154 is using a spare for now.
It is what it is.... a done deal ..... i hope it benefits S. I.

fdny747 said:
That looks like a brand new Rig? I thought 165 got a Rescue pumper for a reason are they going to get them a new one?

Sometimes, apparatus and house assignments defy any logical reason.  About 20 - 25 years ago, a number of new, larger, Brush Fire Units were acquired.  Logic would say that E165 was an ideal house to station one at. 

But, the story goes, it wouldn't fit in 165 quarters because the Chief Medical Officer's car was stored there - and then the car would have to be parked outside the firehouse - and she didn't want to have to get into a cold car in the winter.  So, her car stayed warm at E165 and the BFU was shipped off to a North Shore engine - likely as far removed from any brush area as you can get on Staten Island.

Bulldog

Bulldog
billybob said:
There are photos of Squad 8 on the Texron Facebook page.
Could you please post a link to the Texron Facebook page you are referring to there a lot of Facebook pages with that name on them.  Thanks.

Bulldog said:
billybob said:
There are photos of Squad 8 on the Texron Facebook page.
Could you please post a link to the Texron Facebook page you are referring to there a lot of Facebook pages with that name on them.  Thanks.
Bulldog, it's Texron Commercial Auto Body Works Inc on Facebook. I'm sorry but I don't know how to post links.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Texron-Commercial-Auto-Body-Works-inc-966183590202152/photos/?ref=page_internal

Not to put a damper on this "new" company but it seems the upper echelon and politicians are hoodwinking the public. They, the public, don't know the difference between a squad company and an engine company. They'll look and see that they have a new shiny fire engine at the neighborhood fire house. Now, should theses quarters also house a spare or reserve engine they'll think that they have two companies therein. What they don't know is that the Squad will be all over the borough with responses. If, God forbid, there is a job in the neighborhood and it takes the second due engine time to get there they'll be in an uproar because the neighborhood company should have been there in minutes. Yes, having a Squad for S.I. is a good thing but what does it accomplish by taking a first due unit to do that? Believe me I'm all for it and I'm not nitpicking but in an area where units are few and far between there is a good chance of problems.

nother pic plus the Sister Support Rig to Squad 8 FH18001

https://www.facebook.com/966183590202152/photos/pcb.1224455724374936/1224455701041605/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/966183590202152/photos/a.966656556821522/1224451877708654/?type=3&theater

memory master said:
Not to put a damper on this "new" company but it seems the upper echelon and politicians are hoodwinking the public. They, the public, don't know the difference between a squad company and an engine company. They'll look and see that they have a new shiny fire engine at the neighborhood fire house. Now, should theses quarters also house a spare or reserve engine they'll think that they have two companies therein. What they don't know is that the Squad will be all over the borough with responses. If, God forbid, there is a job in the neighborhood and it takes the second due engine time to get there they'll be in an uproar because the neighborhood company should have been there in minutes. Yes, having a Squad for S.I. is a good thing but what does it accomplish by taking a first due unit to do that? Believe me I'm all for it and I'm not nitpicking but in an area where units are few and far between there is a good chance of problems.''

Quote from: FDNYSTATENISLAND on October 11, 2018, 06:21:41 PM
...."To add onto that, an area of SI that is so far from any other company."

ya, ideally they would have added it instead of replacing an engine company with it.

Squad 8 rig is complete and at the rock. I read that it?s supposed to go in service sometime in the first week of December.

I assume its because they are using the HMTU that Engine 165 was using, I think with the creation of the Squad E165 will no longer be a Haz-Engine, I could be wrong in my assumptions though.

C

capthale

I will add to your assumption  but I believe that was intended to be rescue fives HMTu and when they no longer have the Hazmat mission it was decided to give it to the new squad company the hmtu engine already had their second piece

CanadianFireman said:
I assume its because they are using the HMTU that Engine 165 was using, I think with the creation of the Squad E165 will no longer be a Haz-Engine, I could be wrong in my assumptions though.
You?re assumption is 100% wrong.
165 will stay a HMTU
The sq8 2nd piece is a brand new 2018 Ferrara.  Originally it was supposed to be a spare, although it going to R5 could very well have been a possibility.  R5?s hazmat role has continued to diminish currently they only respond if 165 is unavailable and with the creation of sq8 I imagine 5 will no longer respond as a HMTU

I agree if Squad 8 is unavailable, 166 is unavailable and a fire occurs right by Squad 8s quarters it?s going to be a hike for a Engine company to get there.