New Squad Co for Staten Island

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Pic is from Facebook:

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Squad 8 would still cover 154s area as 1st Due. They?ll go up to 3rd due boxes like the other squads. Only boxes they lost would be E154s 4th Due. Now if Squad 8 is out on a run, next Due would be 166 or 167 depending on where the box is. 154 has very large 1st due area but mostly industrial and not built up area - except for SI Mall and stores on Richmond Avenue corridor. That is built up. The mall just renovated.

E154 ran 1,740 runs in 2017 with 23 AH+. Wonder what SQ8 #s would be like.

Thanks "FDNYSTATENISLAND" for your update concerning the new Squad 8.

I remember a couple of guys telling me that it was a 25-30 minute run (under good traffic conditions) for Squad 1 to get to parts of Staten Island

nfd2004

"I remember a couple of guys telling me that it was a 25-30 minute run (under good traffic conditions) for Squad 1 to get to parts of Staten Island"

I remember a couple of 'Squad Guys' telling me - it Sometimes took 25-30 Min.s to get to Vz. Bridge  ;)

Unless something changes between now and Dec10th , Sq-8 will only have first and second due engine boxes ...so will be a squad one what would have been 3rd due boxes .

TLTruckie said:
Unless something changes between now and Dec10th , Sq-8 will only have first and second due engine boxes ...so will be a squad one what would have been 3rd due boxes .
10-5 Please

So Staten Island is basically losing an Engine, Staten Island will need another Engine sooner rather than later.

baileyjeff said:
So Staten Island is basically losing an Engine, Staten Island will need another Engine sooner rather than later.
All the squads in the city respond as an ENGINE CO. to 1st.2nd.and 3rd due boxes it is after that they respond as a Squad just the way the other Squads work.

C

capthale

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a squad thereSweaty keep responding on the first and second do them when they really need a squad they won?t be available because they keep running on engine calls. I can see them responding on medical runs because I would want the nearest unit available but if they get calls on a bunch of small stuff there going to get overwhelmed the whole point on adding a squad there was the response time from the other boroughs . Just my opinion

You tell that to the civilian who is waiting for a line at a location several blocks from the fire house because the squad couldn't respond because they were waiting for a 10-75 mattress fire in a bungalow fire on the south shore that is a 15 minute run.

TLTruckie said:
other squads have 3rd Due boxes, but SQ8 will only get 2nd due?

I'm quite sure The FDNY Bureau Of Operations know exactly what the Sq was put there for and how to assign the sq,maybe you should call the Operations and express your opinion to them.

Most companies have collateral special functions that can take them outside of their first alarm areas.
Engine - Squad are only one example.

High call volumes and collateral assignments are both reflected by how often the G-man effect occurs.

C

capthale

JOR176 said:
I'm quite sure The FDNY Bureau Of Operations know exactly what the Sq was put there for and how to assign the sq,maybe you should call the Operations and express your opinion to them.
I called Trump instead

It has been reported that in a few days the new Squad 8 will be put in service. Knowing the FDNY, I'm sure there will be an entire list of the general orders and operating procedure assignments for Squad 8, including it's response areas and every exception to the rule.

When that happens (Dec 10th we've been advised), I hope that one of our members may be able to provide a link to it or pass on the general orders involving that unit.

The FDNY has the leadership qualities and the expertise to assign this unit in the best way possible to protect the citizens of the City of New York.

I also know that if adjustments need to be made, they don't hesitate to do that either. 

capthale said:
JOR176 said:
I called Trump instead

Now THAT is funny.

nfd2004 said:
It has been reported that in a few days the new Squad 8 will be put in service. Knowing the FDNY, I'm sure there will be an entire list of the general orders and operating procedure assignments for Squad 8, including it's response areas and every exception to the rule.

When that happens (Dec 10th we've been advised), I hope that one of our members may be able to provide a link to it or pass on the general orders involving that unit.

The FDNY has the leadership qualities and the expertise to assign this unit in the best way possible to protect the citizens of the City of New York.

I also know that if adjustments need to be made, they don't hesitate to do that either.

As always Willy, you are the voice of reason; whether it's tools, apparatus purchases, response assignments or standard operating guidelines, you always show great respect for the knowledge and experience of the fire officers and firefighters of the FDNY.

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
TLTruckie said:
other squads have 3rd Due boxes, but SQ8 will only get 2nd due?
[/quot. Yes, unless something changes in the next few days , Sq-8 will only have first & second due engine boxes.  This is different then the rest of the other squad companies who have 1st , 2nd and third due eng boxes. It all has to do w the very large response area E-154 had.

baileyjeff said:
I just hope a regular engine is added back to Squad 8 firehouse.
Think about how long it took to get a Squad on the Island. Now, quadruple that time and maybe you'll see another engine company. Suffice it to say not happening.