News of Members

A day late and a dollar short as usual for me, however, a sincere belated birthday wish that you be healthy, happy, safe and Blessed. Thank you for all you do for us Sir!

A BIG Thank You goes out to NYCFIRE.net member, "manhattan", aka Frank M. He is playing a huge part in the organization of the upcoming; "Father Mychal Judge Walk of Remembrance", scheduled to take place Sunday, September 4, 2016.

This is NOT the first time "manhattan" has played this kind of role. No folks, ever since this event was first started, "manhattan" had a major part in organizing this Walk of Remembrance for the first victim of 9/11, the FDNY Chaplain, Father Mychal Judge.

"manhattan" has organized other events within the city as well. Events to honor our military as well as the NYPD and FDNY. All of who he has the highest respect for.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe "manhattan" has been a Chief Administrator over the years for a major hospital or Health Care Physicality in the heart of New York City.

Our sincere thanks goes out to site member "manhattan", aka Frank M., for all of the unselfish work he has done to HONOR OUR True American Heros. And reminding us that they should NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

Thanks very much Frank for what you do and it is truly an honor for all of us to be associated with you. 

A BIG Thank You to "manhattan" for all you do for remembering the Vet's & remembrance of other deserving people !

nfd2004 said:
Everybody has been asking, "Where is Johnny D, aka "johnd248" ? They've checked all the streets of Flatbush and can't find him. They've checked Engine 248, and he's not there. How about at Dunks (Dunkin Donuts) or Micky D's up there in Connecticut with his ole' buddy Willy D ? No he's not there either.

So, where is Johnny D ? We asked that question and what we found out might surprise you. Can you believe he's been up in Quincy, Mass. ? No, he's not in jail up there. He's not up there buffing either, as some would think. 

Johnny D was up in Quincy, Mass for a Ballroom Dancing Competition. He's one of a select group up there with his wife Michele. A long way from the streets of Flatbush in Brooklyn.

While our own Johnny D, aka "johnd248" specializes in rhythm dances, his wife Michele, specializes in smooth dances.

This past Friday (11/14/14), Johnny danced 10 dances consisting of swing, rumba, cha cha, and merengue. It was his First Competition and he received SEVEN First Places and Three Second Place wins.

So let's Give it up for Johnny D.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

With the recent book about to be released by Ira Hoffman of www.fire-police-ems.com called; "FDNY Tales", once again we put the spotlight on our own "johnd248", aka Johnny D. In the book is a story as reported by Johnny D called "The Bus". Johnny D talks about a woman waiting for a bus, but apparently pulls the fire alarm box because she seems to be tired of waiting for it.

There are other stories in that book that some of the members here may also recognize the names as well.

If your at all into it like I am, you probably can't wait to read all the stories as reported by these individuals, including our own "johnd248". All telling their own stories about the Greatest Fire Department in the World.

So make sure you put it at the top of your list when you send your letter to Santa Clause this year. 

Thanks to Chief "68jk09" for passing the news and info onto us in a recent thread called; "FDNY Tales". 

I write this latest post in the "News of Members", with much sadness.

For many of our friends of the FDNY who frequently visit or post here, it has been a very tough couple of weeks for them.

They lost a good friend, Retired Lt Pudgie Walsh, Ladder Co 108, who many of us outside the FDNY got to meet personally last year. One of our members remembered him from back in his younger days of playing football, and after not seeing him for many years, Retired Lt Walsh remembered this kid from the Bronx. That young kid was member "fdce54".

We also learn of the passing of another great FDNY War Years Firefighter, Retired Lt John McKean, who served in some of the busiest companies in the FDNY such as Ladders 175 and 120, along with other members of this site. A sad loss of another well respected FDNY retired member. There is much more about Lt McKean in the "Another War Years Vet Passes" thread.

Then is the latest news of the LODD of Battalion Chief Michael Fahy, Batt 19. A well respected member and dedicated family man as well.

These are very difficult times for many of our friends here. But what we all can take from these difficult times is that we have read who the REAL HEROS and Role Models of America are. They will go down in the history books of the FDNY for their contributions that made a difference.

My condolences to the members here who have suffered the loss of their friends and Brother Firefighters. All within a few short days or weeks.   

fdny1075k said:
Another photo of Turner Reid Cox. Maybe Turner will go into the family business one day.

Congrats again, Rev!

Many of us may remember this when "CFDMarshall", aka Rev Elwood E., became a grandfather. Just like any other grandfather, he is very proud of his grandchildren. In this case he is also very proud of his son in law as well. The reason being is that not only is he the father of his grandchild, BUT he is also a fulltime career firefighter with the DeKalb County, Georgia Fire Dept.

His name is Robbie C., but we may soon know him as "Thecox66". That's because he just recently became a member of this site. Even though he is from way down Dixie in Georgia, some of the guys here already know him. He has made it a special point to come up here to meet some of the guys in person. And after meeting him, I think the Rev CFDMarshall has ever right to be proud of him.

So with that, lets all welcome, Rev CFDMarshall's Son-in-law, Robby C., aka "Thecox66". Lets hear it.......
  www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NIZOvfKpc

Today, Veterans Day, 2016, I attended the Veterans Day Ceremony at 9th Ave and 27th St in Manhattan. At that location is a small city park, and in that park there is a Memorial Statue honoring our veterans. Site member Frank M., aka "manhattan", had mention that there would be a short Veterans Day Ceremony held there at 10 am. I was one of a several dozen who attended this program.

But what I really want to say is the "GREAT JOB" that Frank did in organizing this event. As I understand it, this is the THIRD year he has done this. There were civilians, veterans, police officers and firefighters that attended as well. There was an 88 year old lady in the crowd. She started talking to me about how she respects and appreciates the members of our military. There was guy who was 75 years old and had served in Viet Nam. 

Frank gave a Great Speech about our Veterans. He talked about the wars that America has been involved in and those who gave so much. He thank them and gave them the credit that they rightfully deserve. He also praised our police officers and firefighters. He said, "these are Americas Hero's".

I believe that Frank is a Veteran as well.

It was just a Great Event and to be surrounded by such good people was reassuring that America is STILL A GREAT COUNTRY, WITH GREAT PEOPLE.

Frank, thank you for what you have done. And it was an HONOR to meet you for the first time today.

I would like to THANK site member "XPFD3", aka Matt M., for his help in answering a few questions I had about Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Fire Dept. He was a GREAT help to me.

Anyway, I appreciate all the info that "XPFD3" offered me. But there is more to tell. With Philadelphia being the Fifth largest city in the USA, having a population of over one and a half million people, it has many of the same issues concerning it's fire department as the FDNY. Many high rise buildings, row frames, private dwellings, a major airport, major shipping ports, subways, and major interstate highways.

I also learned that site member "XPFD3", spent 34 years on the Philadelphia FD and retired in 2007 at the rank of Deputy Chief. He also has two sons on the Philadelphia Fire Dept. One is a Captain on an Engine Co in the city and the other a firefighter on a Ladder Co in that city.

I can only imagine the conversations at that dinner table when they all get together. The question might begin something like this:
  "So who works harder, A Deputy Fire Chief, a Captain of an Engine Co., or a Firefighter of a Ladder Co." ?  I guess for now, we'll just leave that question to be answered by "XPFD3", and his two sons. We know how this can get pretty involved into a deep discussion.

Thanks again Matt for your help. You have a lot to be proud of and hopefully you and your sons will get up to the NYC area to meet up with a couple of the guys from this site.

I appreciate it Chief, and this one's for you. (originally posted by site member "R1Smokeeater")

www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDi9eoPaEU 

In another article posted on this site, we learn that site member "Memory Master", aka Charlie T., served within the FDNY/EMS for 30 years. My guess is he was at it before the NYC Health and Hospitals EMS merger into the FDNY/EMS.

Throughout all those years, we have to wonder how many people did Charlie help. Perhaps how many people are alive today because of the skills he used.

I think it is long overdue that we "Pat you on the Back" for the job you have done. For the countless number of lives you had such a huge effect on during your 30 years of service. To the people of the City of New York and to the millions of visitors during those years as well.

We are glad we can take this opportunity to say "Thank you". So with that, we found this video that we would like to dedicate to you. So Charlie enjoy a healthy and well deserved retirement. Thank you for your services to the City of New York.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR70bnE-3Gw

Thank you so very much. I'm a bit embarrassed by the attention but again I thank you. One anecdote I'd like to share is from the days of EMS being under the Health & Hospitals Corp. At that time we wore a uniform consisting of hunter green pants and jackets. We responded to a report of an unconscious, one morning, in a supermarket. Upon arrival we entered the store and were met with a large group of people blocking the aisle. Attempting to get through the crowd a gentleman in a shirt and tie turned to us and said, "you can't come this way because someone's seriously ill. Go around the other way." I said "We're EMS." He, being the manager says, "Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were 7-Up delivery guys." Just another case of you can't make this stuff up.
Again, I sincerely thank you for your thoughts NFD.

God Bless Those Who Serve. Thank You, M.M., for Your Years of Dedicated Service.  8)

( yeh, those old HHC Uni.'s were rather tacky )