News of Members

Over the last seven years or so, the members of this site have had the opportunity to view many videos of the FDNY. As well as videos of places like Newark, Jersey City, Baltimore, Boston etc. during some of their busiest years of fire duty.

For the FDNY we have many members who were all a part of those very busy 1980s, and into the 1990s. As an FDNY Buff, I was able to see this for myself. I can try to tell my stories of how it was, but seeing and hearing it on a video does a much better job of that.

We as a group have been very fortunate to have a few individuals that have taken the time to preserve those fire videos for us. I know of no other web site which offers such a collection. One particular member who has contributed so much when it comes to sharing those "collector videos" with us is "R1SmokeEater", aka Jamie M. He himself a firefighter with the Yonkers Fire Dept.

Jamie has also shared with us many "FDNY War Years Audios" as well. The very popular thread here "Vintage FDNY Videos" was created by "R1SmokeEater"  back in January, 2010, and Jamie has been the "star contributor" of that thread throughout.

Jamie, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates what you do for us. These are not some Hollywood movies, but actual incidents as they were recorded.

"Thanks Jamie for taking the time to put these videos here for us". They remind us all of what it was like then, maybe 25-30 years ago".

By putting these videos together with the photos included from "mikeindabronx's, web site of the fdnysbravest.com - You get the Total Package.

Thanks for the well wishes. Had a little set-back, but that is resolving. My mind still thinks it is 25, but my body reminds me I am not...

nfd2004 said:
On a tragic day in April, 2013, two bombs went off in the streets of Boston as the Marathon was taking place. For one woman named Rose Ann Sdoia she would pay a very steep price for being an innocent bystander. She would loose her leg and have to go through months of therapy learning to walk again.

On that day, as the first bomb went off, some Boston Firefighters were in the area. Of course they immediately headed in the direction of those injured. Then a Second Bomb went off much closer. One firefighter named Mike Materia ran to the aid of this woman who was still conscious but bleeding from her injury. Her leg had been severed. A belt was used as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. That firefighter attempted to wave down passing ambulances responding to the first bombing with no success. He stayed with her not knowing if a third or fourth bomb would go off. He was finally able to get a police van where she was put into and transported to the hospital. Firefighter Materia rode in that van with her as she struggled to remain conscious from her life threatening injury. Firefighter Materia was able to keep her alive as he talked to her and held her hand.

Today, Rose Ann Sdoia, the woman who lost her leg, is demonstrating to the world how she is moving forward with an upbeat positive attitude despite what she has had to endure. She now travels telling her story. She is a role model for each and every one of us.

And Firefighter Mike Materia, the firefighter that rode with her in that police van holding her hand and keeping her alive, is the son of our site member "mack". A frequent contributor to this site.

"macks" son Mike, also served three tours in Iraq with the Special Forces before going on the Boston Fire Dept. He now travels often with the woman who is so grateful to him for saving her life. They have become a couple together.

Today there is some talk of making a movie. But the story of Rose Ann Sodia and Boston Firefighter Mike Materia is not a movie but a TRUE story of a role model and a hero.

For those of us that know "mack", we know what a really a great guy he is. He has given me a personnel tour of some firehouses, a military base, and places of interest in the Va/DC area. He himself a West Point graduate with two masters degrees. A retired high ranking Army Officer. He has a very high respect for firefighters, and I'm pretty sure, all of us that know him, have a pretty high amount of respect for him also.

Thanks for all your contributions to this site and THANK YOU for all you've done for me and all the others. For me, I consider it an honor to be your friend. And I hope some day I will be able to meet your son Mike and Rose Ann.

In a follow up to this story, we have more Great News.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/31/boston-marathon-bombing-survivor-to-wed-fireman-who-saved-her/amp/

I stopped by R-3 the other day and ran into one of our members, Matt Daly (mmattyphoto). Matty is well known by many members of the FDNY and is also an honorary DC. Prior to his stroke several years ago you could always find him at fires taking photos.  I first met him at a job in the Bronx over 35 years ago but lost contact with him after he became ill.  He looks good and it was wonderful to see him again.   

mikeindabronx said:
I stopped by R-3 the other day and ran into one of our members, Matt Daly (mmattyphoto). Matty is well known by many members of the FDNY and is also an honorary DC. Prior to his stroke several years ago you could always find him at fires taking photos.  I first met him at a job in the Bronx over 35 years ago but lost contact with him after he became ill.  He looks good and it was wonderful to see him again. 

Thanks Mike, that is GREAT News.

I remember hearing when he wasn't doing too well after that stroke. He was pretty active on this site before that. I think he went by the name "mattyphotos".

Matty a great old school guy  documenting FDNY History through his photos & also I believe  a Member of the Con Ed Pipe Band ?

mikeindabronx said:

Auxiliary fireman in E48 too...long time ago

Many of us here have become good friends and that started because of this web site. We are just a group of guys with pretty much the same interest in the fire service, particularly that of the FDNY. That friendship has spread throughout New York City, into New York State, New Jersey, Connecticut, Penn., Virginia, Tennessee, Florida, even to a friend from Ireland.

But the other day I found out how small this world really is.

I worked as a firefighter in a small Connecticut city. One of the guys I worked with (Tracy M) contacted me and said that he had talked to a guy who knew me, but he wanted to tell me about it when I see him. So I had no idea who it was.

Shortly after, I get a phone call from "mack". He says to me that he talked to a guy who worked with me. He said the guy is now a battalion chief with 29 years on the job and that we had worked together. So then I knew who it was. I had worked with Tracy from the first shift he walked into the firehouse as a "Probie". I was pretty impressed that these two buddies of mine, although miles apart, had somehow made contact.

So of course then I said to "mack", "did he tell you about all the fires we fought together". "mack" said "NO, he didn't". But what he DID tell him was how I ate his very hot jalapeno pepper thinking it was a small cucumber, and how I NEVER DID THAT AGAIN.

Friends of Nycfire.net.

Let me introduce you to one of the latest members to join this site. It's a pretty long story so pour yourself a nice cup of hot coco before you start to read it. 

He is member, "BFD151", aka Willy B. Not to be confused with Willy D. Although we do have a lot in common. I believe a couple members of this site have met him in the past.

The story begins about 60 years ago. Willy B and myself grew up in Bridgeport, Ct. Both of our fathers were Bridgeport Firefighters and belonged to a group often referred to as "The Greatest Generation". As young kids, they grew up during the Great Depression, they fought in World War II and came home to build America. Bridgeport, like so many other cities, was a great place to be and start a family. So back in the late 40s and early 50s, that's just what they did. Along comes a young Willy D, aka "NFD2004" and a young Willy B, aka "BFD151".

The firefighters didn't make very much money then, and as I recall, those firefighters were working seven day shifts followed by two days off. Then followed by seven night shifts with two more days off. I think it might have been a 72 or 96 hour work week. At that time it was a secure job with no lay offs or closing of companies ever mentioned.

So as young kids, Willy B and I grew up together. We both loved the fire dept from the time we started playing with our toy fire trucks on the living room floor together. Our fathers would take us down to the firehouse to pick up their pay checks during our summer vacation from school. When we heard the fire trucks we would both chase the fire trucks on our bicycles.

A few years later, we would get a crystal controlled radio to listen to the fire calls. Shortly after came a car and our drivers license. We were now seeing each other at some of the fires throughout the city as buffs. My younger brother George was also starting to join us.

While working as a clerk in a drug store, I get to meet a member of the FDNY. He works at Engine 210 in Brooklyn and at that time Rescue 2 is also in quarters with them. He invites me down for the day and WHAT A DAY IT WAS. Then the Lt invites me back for a night shift. AND WHAT A NIGHT THAT IS !!!! The FDNY War Years with working fires are starting to become the routine of every shift. I tell Willy B and my brother George about this and they too get permission to spend a night there.

All THREE OF US GET HOOKED. We are guest of the Major Leagues, the FDNY. Shortly after scanners come out and we find out that we could listen to the FDNY right at our homes in Bridgeport. The book "Report from Engine Co 82" is also just about to come out. So we start hanging out in the area as we are joined by other buffs just like us. For all three of us, there is no time for the ladies, who just didn't understand our sickness.

We also become volunteer firefighters in nearby Fairfield, Ct. It is there that we get to meet a young Johnny D, aka "johnd248". So now we have starting from YOUNGEST to OLDEST:
  1) Georgie D
  2) Willy B
  3) Willy D
  4) Johnny D - the OLDEST of our group.

Johnny D is from Brooklyn and he tells us how he is an Auxiliary Member of Eng 248. Willy B, aka "BFD151" becomes an Aux with Engine 83 in the South Bronx. My brother Georgie D gets hooked up with Engine 91 in Harlem. For all of us, our favorite place to be - is watching those FDNY guys perform. No doubt we watched many of the Retired FDNY members right here on this site. We also chased the fires in Bridgeport where we had some good friends on the job there. The smell of smoke was always on our clothes, in our hair, and even in our cars.

BFD151 gets offered a job working with the NYC Fire Patrol. He enjoys that as he is going to some of the same calls as the FDNY. BFD151 then takes the firefighters exam for Stamford, Ct and gets the job leaving the Patrol. He does very well, but he had also taking the test for Fairfield FD. After only a few short weeks in Stamford, Fairfield calls him and he decides to take the job in Fairfield.

During all this time he is still chasing fires in NYC and Bridgeport. He had also taken the test for Bridgeport but it is tied up in court over some affirmative action issues. But after a while, the Bridgeport FD calls him and that is where he really wanted to be.

For BFD151, as well as my brother, the Bridgeport War Years were about to begin. What was going on in many parts of NYC is now spreading to places like Bridgeport. The working fires began to skyrocket. All the tricks of the trade that both "BFD151" and my brother George had learned from chasing the FDNY was beginning to pay off. Because of that, they were ready for what they were about to face for most of their entire careers as firefighters.

Both BFD151 and my brother George have retired now. For Willy B, aka "BFD151", he has moved to Virginia where he is a volunteer firefighter. My brother George also moved to a small town in Ct where he served about three or four years as a volunteer firefighter as well.

We all still talk about what a great time it was to be a buff. The timing was perfect as everything just kind of fit into place.

I'm glad to see our newest member, Willy B, aka "BFD151", joining us. I'm sure he has a lot to contribute once he gets going.

raybrag said:
Welcome to the group, Willy B!  Where in Virginia do you live? I'm in Newport News, and we've got a bunch of others who live in the Old Dominion [Fltpara16 (a BC in Albemarle County), Mac (NOVA), VBCapt (Capt in the Va Beach FD, and originally from Joisey), and others].

Ray, I think "BFD151" is just outside of Farmville, Va.

"Maxim" is from Va too. You guys keep going and you'll have all of us outnumbered.

I reluctantly admit that I am the " senior man" in this group.  For a while, all four of us were assigned to Rescue 15 in Fairfield, CT ( Stratfield VFD) and I was the chauffeur for the tours.  The three young ones were at times SCARY!!

Welcome to the site Willy B.....lots of good stuff in some of the posts to look at going back awhile .

One of the main contributors to this site is member "THEMAJESTIRIUM1". He certainly does a GREAT JOB posting many of his videos that he follows involving the FDNY.

The night of March 5, 2017 was probably one of the coldest nights of the entire winter. With strong winds blowing the temperature felt much worse. The FDNY gets a Seven Alarm fire in Queens and "THEMAJESTIRIUM1", is out there around midnight filming it for those of us who can't make it. Posting over a one hour video of this fire.

He doesn't even ask any of us for a thank you. He is just happy to be out there following the GREAT WORK done by the members of the FDNY and then posting it for all of us to see.

I look back on my GREAT DAYS of buffing the FDNY of about 30 plus years, and I can certainly understand what drives you to stand out there in the freezing cold temperatures in the middle of the night.

Well Sir, whoever you are, "THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WHAT YOU DO".

"THEMAJESTIRIUM1", most of us don't even know your name, but we sure appreciate what you do.

Today is site member "guitarman314" aka gman of the "gman theory's"  birthday. So lets all wish Tom a very Happy (66th) Birthday.