News of Members

I think it is amazing to hear what some of the guys on here have done.

One guy was in charge of the entire Army operations here during 9/11. "mack"

Another guy played guitar with many of the famous doo wop groups. He also worked with the famous serial killer nicknamed "The Son of Sam" during the late 70s. "Guitarman314"

Another guy had his picture on a US Postage stamp. "NFD2004"

One of the most highly decorated members of the FDNY. "68jk09"

One member who was the Captain of the Engine 82 when the famous book "Report from Engine 82" came out. Later to become one of the highest ranking officers in the FDNY. "*******"

There are many other stories out there. Each one an individual and interesting story to hear. So if you have an interesting story to tell, I'm guessing that most of us would want to hear it.

Congratulations goes out to site member "fdny1075k", Emmett M., on his upcoming graduation from Iona College in New Rochelle. Not only graduating, but he will also be inducted into "The National Honor Society". He worked very hard to get there.

"fdny1075k" is known by many members of this site as well as members of the FDNY. I think it is safe to say that he has a very good reputation with those who know him.

A former volunteer firefighter from a department in Ct., with a strong interest in the fire service. Particularly the FDNY. We see that here as he often post info of fires and incidents throughout much of the northeast cities.

So now that "fdny1075k" is graduating from college, what does he do next ?

Actually it didn't take him too long to figure that out. Because a National Insurance Company saw this young mans potential and they came to him with a great job offer he couldn't resist. "I mean a WELL PAYING job offer". So he will be starting there very soon.

Just one more thing. For all those lady viewers out there, "this young man is single and available".

Good luck for a bright future for this young man.

Today, June 2nd we have a very special guy to give a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish to.

As a very young man, he grew up in some of the meanest, toughest streets out there. Yes, born in the South Bronx around Elton Ave, moving to Clay Ave, then up around Sedgewick/Fordham area, we can only be referring to the "Kid from Da Bronx himself", our good friend, Mr Frank D., aka "fdce54".

He began his young career with the Co Edison Company, where he spent his early years going into buildings in the South Bronx worst area during the worst of times. One time as he came out of one very nasty place on Hunts Point Ave, all by himself, he was approached by three NYPD Anti Crime Officers. They apparently had that building under surveillance due to heavy criminal activity.

When approached by these officers, they asked "what are you doing in there" ? He then told them, "I work for Con Ed and I had to go in there to make some repairs". Those police officers then responded to him, "you went in there by yourself" ? They then told him, "When we go in there we carry guns and there's THREE of us". "The fire department goes in there with 20 guys and they carry heavy tools". They then said to him; "You know what":
  "The NYPD is the Finest"
  "The FDNY is the Bravest"
  "But Con Ed is the F###### Craziest"

Fortunately later Mr "fdce54" moved on to the Westchester County area, where he covered as a Con Ed Boss in tough cities like Yonkers, Mt Vernon, BUT also to some of the wealthiest towns in America. From the Bronx ghettos of the 70/80/90s to some of the richest mansions in the world. You might say that this man has seen it all.

Later on we followed Mr "fdce54" on his proposed retirement journey, earlier in this thread. We all were intrigued by his "yes he will" or "no he won't" retirement decision. Maybe some of you remember that. Hard to believe but the official retirement has been over one year already.

And now that you know the story of this senior member of the group, we would all like to wish Frankie D., aka "fdce54" a very Happy Birthday. And what better way than to hear it from his favorite TV characters. So Frank, "Happy Birthday and this one's for you. Each one giving you their own Happy Birthday Wishes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-_xhn_PhSY

Thank you to all for the birthday wishes and a special thank you to Willy D for the very entertaining video.

So where has "fltpara16", aka Steve E. from Virginia been ? Some of you have been asking that question because he was a pretty regular poster on here. Some thought he might be in jail serving time. No folks, I just got word and I'm happy to report "that is NOT the case". As most of us know, "fltpara16", is really a great guy. Any of us that know him will gladly confirm that.

Well friends, here's the story.

Many of us already know that Steve is a fulltime B/C in a fire department in Virginia. His Battalion response area covers 726 square miles. That would be like Five Battalion Chiefs covering the entire State of Connecticut. Well besides his fulltime B/C job, he also spends some time working as a paramedic during special events at the University of Virginia. Then throw in a few spare hours doing some landscaping work. Add to that the fulltime job of being a fulltime father and grandfather. We were wondering what he's been up to. And there's more to tell.

You may remember earlier on in this thread where the announcement was made of Steve becoming a grandfather. At that time there was some serious concerns about his granddaughters health. well today we are happy to report that his now 19 moth old granddaughter is Happy, Healthy and Full of Energy.

Steve's oldest daughter just graduated from George Mason University and just got a good job with the Marriott Corporation.

Steve's second oldest daughter has just been accepted into Nursing School.

And then there is his youngest. his son who just finished 9th grade and wants us all to know that his baseball team went 17-1.

So there you have it. Just a quick couple of notes on the status of Nycfire.net member "fltpara16", aka Steve E.

When you do get a chance Steve, stop by to say hello and drop us a note here.

Yes, I64 east and west bound lanes between the 120 and 122 milemarkers in Albemarle.  Wrecks in both directions, the chicken innards were blocking the west bound lanes. 

fltpara16 said:
Yes, I64 east and west bound lanes between the 120 and 122 milemarkers in Albemarle.  Wrecks in both directions, the chicken innards were blocking the west bound lanes.

Now we Know what happens when the Chicken ('inards') Cross the Road !  :-X

Thanks,Chief. Good to see ya' again!

And Thanks, (as always), Uncle Willy for keeping us all Current.  8)

Our own Willy D, the King of the Big Mac and retired Captain from the Norwich (CT) FD was recently quoted in the New London Day newspaper.  The Norwich FD is a full-time, paid dept. and is surrounded by 5 volunteer companies.  Apparently, when there is a fire in one of the volunteer areas and mutual aid is requested other volunteer depts responded instead of the closer city paid dept.  Willy D is spearheading an examination of how Norwich can better arrange its fire responses.  Not sure how many Mickey D's there are in Norwich to keep Willy D happy but he is doing the right thing by forcing this issue to be addressed.

Thanks John.

This is a situation that is hard for any firefighter: career, volunteer, active or retired to try and understand.

Here is the link to that newspaper article and hopefully it works:

http://www.theday.com/local/20160702/norwichs-fire-service-more-fractured-than-ever-officials-say

Willy D,

I applaud you for taking on such a difficult issue.  This is occurring in many places.  The Fire Service must change so resources are brought together to provide the best service possible at a reasonable cost.  Local governments can no longer afford to fund inefficient systems. 

fltpara16 said:
Willy D,

I applaud you for taking on such a difficult issue.  This is occurring in many places.  The Fire Service must change so resources are brought together to provide the best service possible at a reasonable cost.  Local governments can no longer afford to fund inefficient systems.

Steve, "fltpara16", what's sad is exactly two days after that newspaper article came out, another fire in a mutifamily occupied frame. Same facts, same results.