News of Members

Last Thursday June 12th, site member "Atlas" celebrated his birthday. It wasn't his 39th, but one of the others after that. So a Happy Belated Birthday wish to him.

Many of us here are familiar with Atlas, as he was the one who ran and set up the entire October Get Together for 2013. Since his retirement, as one of the FDNYs War Years Dispatchers, Atlas has been involved with the Wounded Warriors and as I understand it, he is always involved in the parade to honor these veterans in July that takes place in Brooklyn and State Island.

These days you can find "Atlas" wearing a Coast Guard uniform, as he is heavily involved in the Coast Guard Auxiliary working Communications in one of the busiest bodies of water in the entire country. And as of this date, (6/15/14), there has been over 200 emergency incidents involving the Coast Guard in the NYC area, "Atlas" being a part in many of them. I understand another part of his duties is, he also gives talks at local schools on water safety.

Well "Atlas", HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY and Happy Fathers Day too.

And Happy Fathers Day to ALL the Fathers out there. Hope you all enjoy the day. You've earned it.

Quick Fathers Day story about the guy I called "Smoke". "Smoke" was the nickname I gave my father. He didn't mind me calling him that because he was a firefighter and smoked cigars. Of course "Smoke" has passed on several years ago. But I was proud of him. He was a Combat Medic in World War ll. He was once honored for the rescue of a homeless civilian and kept him alive using mouth to mouth breathing when that first came out.

As a teenage kid I was waiting for the bus one day and the fire trucks were going on a run. As the rigs went by an old guy standing next to me said to me; "those guys saved my life". I then noticed he had a hole in his neck to help him breathe.  So I asked him "where was that", and he said at a fire on Fulton St. That was the fire that Smoke had pulled the guy out of. I couldn't wait to go home and tell my father I met the guy he pulled out. TRUE STORY.

Speaking of old timers, it was great to see good friend Matty Daly at this week's Fire Bell Club annual banquet.  Great to see Matt up and around, enjoying all the fun as the FBC celebrated its 75th anniversary.

johnd248 said:
Speaking of old timers, it was great to see good friend Matty Daly at this week's Fire Bell Club annual banquet.  Great to see Matt up and around, enjoying all the fun as the FBC celebrated its 75th anniversary.
  Matty is a great guy, I'm glad he's doing well.

I never met Matty but I've been told he was a favorite around Rescue 3. And a favorite at the Fire Bell Club. Glad to hear that he's doing okay.

I wasn't quite awake yet when I posted the above. One guy comes under three categories. Himself a retired FDNY member, his father was on the job and now his son is also on the job. I only had him listed on one of the three.

I guess it's time to give up that glass of gin, for a cup of coffee in the morning.

nfd2004 said:
I wasn't quite awake yet when I posted the above. One guy comes under three categories. Himself a retired FDNY member, his father was on the job and now his son is also on the job. I only had him listed on one of the three.

I guess it's time to give up that glass of gin, for a cup of coffee in the morning.

Bill...I'm sure GL will chastise you

mikeindabronx said:
nfd2004 said:

Bill...I'm sure GL will chastise you

Mike, you got that right. He already did. I took a verbal beating from him.

And I will be adding a few more names as they get back to me. So names will be added as they come in.

First we hope that site member "69mets" is recovering well. He was a little under the weather for a few weeks. For those who don't know, "69mets" is a well respected retired member of the FDNY who has worked some of the busiest companies in the city. So Get Well there Brother.

Thank you to those who sent a pm, and deserve to be put on the list. So within a few hours, a few more user names have been added. Some names have been past on by other members who know the individuals. Thank you.

There has been two other categories added. They are; "Active Volunteer Firefighters" and another is "IN-Active Volunteer Firefighters". Please send me a pm if you'd like to be added to the list.

On the EMS, I have listed - EMT, Medic, Nurse, Other. If you're involved in caring for the sick or injured I hope you'll let us know.

We all have in common, an interest in the FDNY or the Fire Service. Some buff as a hobby or have in some way offered our assistance to strangers. Many have served our country and served it well. Some get paid, some volunteer. In some way, EVERY ONE of the names on that list has helped or made someone's life a little bit better.

RE:   Current or Retired Dispatchers:

"Atlas"
  "Manhattan" - (right ?)
  "Patrickfd"

Nice job, nfd2004 ? you?ve put some good work into compiling this list.

I?m not saying ?right? and I?m not saying ?wrong?, but I?m curious what made you include me among those particular heralded, honored and illustrious Members!?

manhattan said:
RE:   Current or Retired Dispatchers:

"Atlas"
  "Manhattan" - (right ?)
  "Patrickfd"

Nice job, nfd2004 ? you?ve put some good work into compiling this list.

I?m not saying ?right? and I?m not saying ?wrong?, but I?m curious what made you include me among those particular heralded, honored and illustrious Members!?

I think because at some point I seem to remember you mentioning somewhere here about you being an FDNY Dispatcher. I wasn't sure though that's why I put the question mark. So we respect you as well.

And I am so sorry that I failed to list FDNY Supervising Dispatcher "FD347". I certainly owe him. He was a big help to me one time with an issue I had. Sorry Frank.

I think it's safe to say that we all respect you for what you do.

I was a Communication Electrician for the FDNY, worked 2 months in the Bronx E46 old quarters, transferred to Brooklyn and worked there for 18 yrs the last 12 as a Brooklyn troublehunter.We handled the Box circuits,cables both underground and aerial,teleprinters,ERS circuits as well as Pull box circuits and of course all the maintenance that it encompasses.retired in 2004
Jack O'

Jack, I'm sorry. We have talked in the past and I did want to add you to the list. But couldn't remember your user name. Behind the scene you kept the system working.

But if it helps, you're not the only one who was missing off the list. Next time I'm in the Fla area, I owe you and a few other guys down there a couple of cool ones. I'm talking, "it's Miller time".

memory master said:
NFD, you can add my dad to the list of FDNY career members, 1/15/37 to 4/21/58.

Thank you Memory and that's been taken care of.

I've enjoyed listing the members of this site, what some have done during their careers and what some of their fathers or sons have done during their careers.

I didn't list the ages. But one member who contacted me said he is 83 years old. He really enjoys this web site and he plays golf, hunts and goes fishing. Needless to say, I was pretty impressed.

Well if that gentleman is interested in telling us who he is, I'm sure we'd all be interested. But that's entirely up to him. But here is a hint, his user name is on the list. And no, it's not Johnny D or Mikeindabronx. You're close but no prize.

Bill,

Not that it matters but I was Volly, then paid, then volly then finally the last 12 paid as the boss of fire and ems. Now I just live through my son in law who is career.

EE

CFDMarshal said:
Bill,

Not that it matters but I was Volly, then paid, then volly then finally the last 12 paid as the boss of fire and ems. Now I just live through my son in law who is career.

EE

Okay Rev, "CFDMarshall", we took care of that. And for those who don't know, "CFDMarshall" has a son-in-law as a career firefighter in one of the busiest Engine Cos in DeKalb County, Georgia - just outside Atlanta.

And a few names added to the original list on page 5.

At the young age of 10, site member "auxlteng225", Walter K., walked into the quarters of Engine Co 225. That goes back to 1941. Walter spent many days there and the members of Brooklyn's Two and a Quarter seemed to take him under their wing. Then in 1950, "auxlteng225" went into the Navy coming out in 1954. He then returned to Engine Co 225 and left again to serve as a U.S. Merchant Marine on the Viet Nam sea lift supplying ammo and bombs to Thailand, Danang, Vung Tao and Saigon.

Walter says of his days with Engine Co 225; "I will be forever grateful for the firefighting education I received from the FDNY, in particular from Engine 225 where he was nicknamed "Quiz Kid".

Walter K, "auxlteng225", became a police officer and was promoted to Sargent in the Village of Haverstraws in Rockland County. He also became a volunteer firefighter in the Spring Valley Fire Dept in 1968 at the Spring Valley H & L Co # 1. He rose through the ranks there and served as:
    Captain 1982/1983
    B/C 1983/1985
    D/C 1985/1987
    Chief 1987/1989
  He is still an inactive member of the department.

Today Walter is 83 years old. He may very well be the oldest member on this site (even older than "Johnd248" or "mikeindabronx"). At 83 years old, Walter still likes to golf, hunt, fish, and skeet shoot. He also enjoys this site very much.

Walter, you've certainly done your share for society. You have certainly dedicated your life to helping others. We appreciate what you have done. Let us know when your next birthday is and a couple of us guys will head up your way with a few bags White Castle Sinkers, a big cake and maybe a few ladies to help liven up the party.