News of Members

Congratulations to site member "Big Pappy E". For those who might not recognize the name, he is also known as "CFDMarshall", or Elwood E.

Big Pappy E became the proud grandfather of the latest addition to his family. Turner Reid Cox, was born on August 6, 2014 coming in at 9 lbs, 3 oz and 21.5 inches.

All are doing fine including mommy, daddy, Baby Turner, and Big Pappy.

Congratulations go out to our friend, who I call, "Most Reverend CFD", on this happy occasion. I also know that the Rev., has a son in law who is a firefighter in DeKalb County, Georgia, one of the busiest areas out side the City of Atlanta . His son in law is assigned to one of the busiest companies there. The Rev may need to help me on this one, but I believe his son in law is the newly, proud daddy.

Congratulations, Reverend (CFDMarshall) and your entire family.

Here is a picture Bill D. asked me to post of Turner Reid Cox, the new edition to the Reverend's family. My apologies to nfd2004 for not getting this up sooner.

Congratulations, once again, CFDMarshall on the good news.

Another photo of Turner Reid Cox. Maybe Turner will go into the family business one day.

Congrats again, Rev!

As time goes by, of course we all get older, including a guy we all know as "R1SmokeEater".

I recently got some very reliable information that this young gentleman recently celebrated his 23rd year with the Yonkers Fire Department. Not only that, he is the senior man on the rig. Not only that, he is also the senior man in the entire firehouse, which he shares with a group of guys assigned to another rig. I assume, when you put this all through a calculation process, that makes him about the oldest of about 30 guys.

Young Jamie, is no more a young Jamie. But if it makes him feel any better, many of us here know what you're going through. "We've been there and done that". Before you know it, you'll be like many of us here. During those long, cold winter months, you make yourself a morning cup of hot tea, look out the window and just go back to bed.

Speaking of getting old, we have another member who is now old. So old that he is counting his days to when he will be able to go back to bed too. No more cold winters for him either. We all know him simply as "fdce54". Others may know him as Frank D. As he struggles to make that finish line, he counts every day. "107, 106, 105'....

Congratulations to proud Grandpa Steve D., aka "svd385", on the birth on his second grandchild on October 7, 2014. Now giving the Grandpa a boy and a girl. The newest addition weighing in at 6 lbs, 4 oz. Baby, Mom, and Grandpa are all doing fine.

Grandpa Steve D., aka "svd385", a former resident of the Bronx and former War Years Auxiliary Firefighter, now resides in New Jersey.

Steve, Elwood E. "CFDMarshall", John B. "jbendick", and ALL the other Grandpas out there. This one's for you. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT0mkPci06s

Also, watch for up coming news of site member, "fdhistorian", to follow soon. 

Add me to the Grandpa list: Granddaughter Gillian is 9 1/2 and Grandson Griffin is almost 6.

Long before the internet, text messaging, online radio activity, or even pagers, for guys that were fire buffs, the only way to find out if there was a job going on was either hear it on the local scanner or a buddy calls to tell you about it. In my case, being 120 miles from NYC, I would usually hear about a big job going on for the FDNY from either my brother or a buddy of mine living in Bridgeport, Ct and close enough to hear it on the scanner. In turn, I could pick up Hartford and Providence, sometimes Boston (at that time on 33.74 MHz, same as our own fire dept second channel). So I would call them about a job there. And that's the way we did it.

About once a month or so, I would get a few newsletters in the mail. One I used to get was from Newark, NJ that was published by a Newark FD dispatcher named Hank P. One was called "The Wagon Pipe Newsletter" on the Washington, D.C. and area departments. Another one was published by a Hartford, Ct firefighter, named Keith V., called "The Alarm Room Newsletter". Every month, "The Alarm Room Newsletter" would give a list of the jobs for the previous month in most areas of Connecticut. It listed the address, companies that responded, and where the fire was located such as first floor, fully involved etc. It would also list any new fire apparatus or fire radio frequency changes. I still have many of those Alarm Room Newsletters in my collection.

And that's where site member "fdhistorian" comes in. "fdhistorian", back then, played a key role in helping to publish that Alarm Room Newsletter. But it goes much further than that. He teamed up with a guy by the name of Ron Mattes. Ron Mattes had interviewed several retired members of departments going back to as early as the 1920s. Through those interviews and with the work of "fdhistorian" of this site, they were able to publish a large book of almost 500 pages. It was called; "The American Fire Services Directory" in 1983. Every single career and county fire department in the U.S.A. and Canada was listed in that book. It listed every firehouse location and the companies assigned there. It also listed companies that had been closed. "I know that because I ordered that book back in 1983". I had never seen anything like it.

I used that book to buff more than a dozen cities. I used it to get rig shots from many of these cities. I used it to locate every firehouse in Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Ct. I used it to locate every firehouse in Yonkers, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo, NY. For the larger cities of Massachusetts such as Boston, Chelsea, Cambridge, Brockton, Fall River, New Bedford, Worcester and Springfield. In New Jersey it was Camden, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, and Paterson.

The first year I had that book, my wife and I planned a trip to L.A. City and L.A. County Fire Departments. That book showed me where every firehouse was and which firehouse had a ladder truck, tanker, paramedic unit, or brush truck, and where I could find the fire department helicopter and bull dozers used during major brush fires.

Other vacations showed me every single firehouse in Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, Pa., Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio, Washington, D.C., and my first trip to Fairfax County, Va. I believe I still have pictures of rigs from every one of those departments that I took during that time.

I considered that book the "Buffs Bible". And interesting in that after corresponding a few times through PMs here, "fdhistorian", says he remembers when I ordered that book over 30 years ago. I sure wish I still had it.

"fdhistorian" also told me that he spent 5-6 years with Prince Georges County, Md Station 34 while going to school there. They were doing roughly 4,000 calls a year at that time.

Today, "fdhistorian" edits the "staffing page" for Billy Goldfeders "Close Calls" web site. He also sometimes is the "Wake Up Guy" for site member "Patrickfd", to take in a job in the Hartford area as the assigned "Photo Unit" there. And you can find some of that work on Pat Ds web site at www.squadfirephotos.smugmug.com

Finally, it is a honor to add my long time friend, I call "JohnnyD", to the Grandpa list. Both John and myself shared memories of our days as Volunteer firefighters assigned to Fairfield, Ct Fire Station 3 and FDNY buff stories of Brooklyn and the Bronx back in the early 1970s. Today "johnd248" has a son who is a career Lt in the Fairfield Fire Department.

"Johnd248" was also a former Auxiliary firefighter with the FDNY in the Boro of Brooklyn, during their busy War Years.

Oh yes, I have that book and find myself referring to it often.  I also have the 1984 supplement to it and the 1989 edition entitled: "Advancing Into The 90's".

As of November 30, 2014 there will be a few Westchester County Con Ed Gas workers who will be very sad. The tears are starting to flow already as that date quickly approaches. Those Con Ed employees are about to loose a great boss. That boss, as we know him here as site member "fdce54", aka Frank D. After serving 41 years with Con Ed Gas Division, Frank is hanging up the old hard hat. Yeap, the guy that once started out in the South Bronx during some of the toughest years, is retiring. And as I understand it, those other Con Ed Guys are not too happy about it. Those Con Ed guys want him to stay, but the paper work is in. For those guys, the party is about to end shortly.

Frankie D., born and raised in the South Bronx on Elton/155 St, then moving up to Clay/169 St, and finally to Valentine Ave/198 St, this Bronx Boy has seen it all. Yet despite all odds, somehow he made it. His latest beat has been Westchester County working in places like Yonkers, Mt Vernon and the surrounding towns. "fdce54" now resides in a small peaceful town in Orange County.

For "fdce54", no more cold nights out there. Now during those cold winter mornings, he can look out the window and get back under the covers if he wants. Or make up his favorite hot cocoa and watch TV. He'll probably want to tune in some of his old favorites. "Car 54 where are you", Abbott and Costello, or maybe "Laurel and Hardy". Maybe he like Westerns like "The Lone Ranger", "Roy Rogers". Maybe he might want to watch cartoons like "Casper the Ghost", Felix the Cat" or "Donald Duck". Retirement will give him a chance to catch up on the ones he missed while digging up those South Bronx streets. Sounds exciting whatever it is he decides to watch.

And here's another important fact about "fdce54". Frank is the ONLY person to take part in EVERY Get Together since they first started. In the beginning, Frank will tell you they were called "Member Meetings". To this day, his most memorable moment during those Get Togethers was the time he sat next to his good buddy, the Most Reverend CFDMarshall, and the Rev opened up his winning prize. What a special moment that was.

Frank, the truth is, "you got a lot of friends here". We all wish you the best for many years of a happy and healthy retirement.

Every best wish for a healthy and very happy retirement.  One question: does your retirement mean that my Con Ed service will get better???? ;)

manhattan said:
Every best wish for a healthy and very happy retirement.  One question: does your retirement mean that my Con Ed service will get better???? ;)
Worse!!!!! One less person that knows what he's doing.
;D