News of Members

That last paragraph did me in, particularly when you mentioned a couple of ladies to liven up the party. Laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes.  The next B-day is a year away so lets just wait and see what time brings and plain accordingly. Thanks for a great write up. By the way, the new nickname in Spring Valley FD was "wacky wally"

In the "News of Members" thread, I would like to add site member "1261 Truckie" to our list. Jim B., aka "1261 Truckie", was an Auxiliary Firefighter with FDNYs Ladder 132 from 1968 to 1975, some very busy years for the FDNY. Later, he became the Fire Safety Director for New York City where he held that position from 1973-1986. He then moved to Texas and put his firefighting experience to work in the volunteer departments of Kingwood and later Porter, Texas.

Today Jim B. lives in the State of Washington. We've added Jim to our list of "Inactive Volunteer Firefighters".

With Jim's history of being an Auxiliary Firefighter with Ladder Co 132, I will be adding a list of former FDNY Auxiliary Firefighters from the pre 1975 days. As I remember it, auxiliary firefighters rode with companies after some formal training, to assist the very busy companies during those pre 1975 days. Auxiliaries would be distinguished by their Yellow Fire Helmets. When the FDNY closed about 50 companies and many FDNY members were laid off, the FDNY Auxiliary Program ended in support of those laid off members.

Another Member who deserves special recognition is site member "Lad 103 (ret)". This member, aka Mike W., worked his career in the very busy Ladder Co 103 during the busiest years of the FDNY. At the height of the FDNY War Years from 1965 to 1981, this FDNY member was a part of one of the busiest Ladder Company's in New York City. The Brownsville area and Ladder 103 was at the top of the list year after year for runs and workers. So busy that a second section was added during those very busy War Years as Ladder 103-2. How many times did I hear on my scanner; "Brooklyn attention 290, 231, 103 and 120 take in phone alarm box ####, the address *****, reported building fire and it sounds like your going to work".

Congratulations "103" on your very well deserved retirement. 33 years so far and we hope many more years to go. I think with your past, you've earned the respect of several members within the FDNY and this site too.

"Lad 103 (ret)", don't forget to invite us to your next Happy Birthday Party. You got to be right up there with the Best of Us.   

nfd2004 said:
Another Member who deserves special recognition is site member "Lad 103 (ret)". This member, aka Mike W., worked his career in the very busy Ladder Co 103 during the busiest years of the FDNY. At the height of the FDNY War Years from 1965 to 1981, this FDNY member was a part of one of the busiest Ladder Company's in New York City. The Brownsville area and Ladder 103 was at the top of the list year after year for runs and workers. So busy that a second section was added during those very busy War Years as Ladder 103-2. How many times did I hear on my scanner; "Brooklyn attention 290, 231, 103 and 120 take in phone alarm box ####, the address *****, reported building fire and it sounds like your going to work".

Congratulations "103" on your very well deserved retirement. 33 years so far and we hope many more years to go. I think with your past, you've earned the respect of several members within the FDNY and this site too.

"Lad 103 (ret)", don't forget to invite us to your next Happy Birthday Party. You got to be right up there with the Best of Us. 

Bill.... jkal  was a Capt. in TL-120

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MACK...BEST WISHES FOR MANY MORE....ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HISTORY POSTS.

Happy Birthday, Joe M.

Hope you have a great day and thank you for all you do for this site.

Oh Wow !
Happy Birthday, Joe [mack] ! And Many More ... !

Thank You Sir, for your Stellar Service, and All You have done here for us ... Enjoy ! 8)

jbendick

Administrator
We are proud to announce that Thomas Bendick and his wife Sonia welcomed a baby son Grayson Thomas today at 12:13. This makes 13 grandchildren for us with another one on the way.  God bless them all.

There is probably no other member on this site that I have known longer than my good, long time friend I call "Johnny D", actually "johnd248" on this site. Johnny D and I were volunteer firefighters back in the early 70s in Fairfield, Ct. A long time before his son was probably born and I know before his son became a career firefighter and was promoted to Lt there.

Back in our days of riding the back step of Fairfields Engine Co 3 or in a former Bread delivery truck converted to a Rescue known as Truck 15 (now called Rescue 15), we would talk about the busy FDNY War Years as they were on going at the time. Most of my stories were from the Bronx or Harlem. Most of his stories were from a place called Brooklyn. But we both understood what tower ladders did, or rear mount ladders, and handie talkies. There weren't too many of those things around our Connecticut neighborhoods then. We also knew how many fires were burning in some New York City neighborhoods and we could see a very similar pattern of fires starting to burn in a neighboring city called Bridgeport. But that's not really my purpose for writing this.

My purpose for writing this is to tell, what a great guy that Johnny D is. I think those that know him would agree. As it turns out, we live only a few miles away from each other now. But I hate to say this, there is another side to Johnny D that some may not know. He is quite a character. Let me explain.

In my last post of "My Younger Buff Years", I had mentioned about how an energy crisis several years ago severally affected my buff trips to New York City. Gas for the 120 mile one way trip was tough to get. Apparently in response to my mention of this subject, Johnny D felt the need to send me this you tube video as an answer to that energy crisis. This is the real Johnny Ds idea on the subject. I hope you'll take a few minutes to watch this video. This is the real Johnny D, who rode with the busy Engine Co 248 and was the high executive banker as I know him. But I still LOVE him.

This is what he sent me. (Sorry, I don't know what happened to the picture, but if you don't get it, you can just click on the link below the video picture).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=27geTochXsU