News of Members

69 METS

Another top class podcast from Getting Salty. Like Dan aka 'Johnny Gage' Garrett I could have listened all night. Loved listening to your stories especially the early days and about your dad. Well done

On a side note and a little Trivia Garrett my first ever visit to an FDNY house was Eng248 & BN41 thanks to site member 'JohnD248' John Delmhorst who was an Aux there

Like you we were in the house when the Engine got a run and off they went. As we waited in the kitchen the Chief Returned and walked into the kitchen to see us 2 strangers.

We introduced ourselves John said who we were and that I was from Ireland and we chatted away. Soon after the tones went off and the Chief said jump in we'll go "allegedly"

So off we went. Fantastic experience.
Thank you Irish, glad you enjoyed it.

johnd248

Specially liked all the references to your father. As you know, he welcomed me to E 248 as an auxiliary all the back in 1964. I remember your frequent visits to the house. You were a young kid but had a complete set of turnout gear.

memory master

Great photos. I've often wondered why men wore their hats cocked to one side or other back in the day. Anyone know if that was the style in those years?

JohnnyGage

Cool snaps, thanks Garrett, I thought the same thing about the hats, many WWII photos you see the guys wore their caps askew. Oh yeah, almost forgot, Garrett was a very cute baby......

nfd2004

We have received word from Steve Elliot, aka "fltpara16", that he has accepted the position as Chief of Training in his department . He will be going from Battalion Chief Shift Commander to Division Chief of Training. It is not a promotion but he will now be a 40 hour week salaried employee.

The advantage is that he will now be able to set his own schedule, not be on any shift work, plus gets a take home vehicle.

He will also still be able to pick up some OT as a B/C shift commander when needed.

Also Steve, being that you will be taking the car home, does that mean that you will be on call to respond as maybe the Safety Officer ? I know some places do that.

We wish you all the best Steve. If you need some advice you might want to check with "8060rock" on here. I'm sure he can give you a few pointers.

fltpara16

We have received word from Steve Elliot, aka "fltpara16", that he has accepted the position as Chief of Training in his department . He will be going from Battalion Chief Shift Commander to Division Chief of Training. It is not a promotion but he will now be a 40 hour week salaried employee.

The advantage is that he will now be able to set his own schedule, not be on any shift work, plus gets a take home vehicle.

He will also still be able to pick up some OT as a B/C shift commander when needed.

Also Steve, being that you will be taking the car home, does that mean that you will be on call to respond as maybe the Safety Officer ? I know some places do that.

We wish you all the best Steve. If you need some advice you might want to check with "8060rock" on here. I'm sure he can give you a few pointers.
I will have to be "On call" on a rotating schedule every 6th or 7th week. The is to back up the on-duty chiefs in the event of a significant fire or other emergency/weather event.

68jk09

Aside from the fact that 9-11 is a horrific day we should not let that take away from the fact that it is also a good friend & regular poster's Birthday....Happy & Healthy Birthday Declan "aka IRISH"....Best Wishes For Many More !

johnd248

Happy Birthday, Dec. My birthday slipped by unnoticed on 9/2; yes I am still older than Uncle Wilfred. Hard to believe!

Last edited:

nfd2004

Happy Birthday, Dec. My birthday slipped by unnoticed on 9/2; yes I am still older than Uncle Wilfred. Hard to believe!
Johnny D, that's NOT hard to believe at all. Everybody knows that you are one very old man. A HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to you my long time Ole' Buddy.

How long has it been ? I think we go back to the days when I was a hard hitting, tough 185 lbs. Way back about 45-50 years ago. Maybe 1973 or so. What a GREAT time it was though - right Johnny. If only Nycfire.net was around then.

IRISH

Many thanks Chief and all for the birthday wishes. Sadly covid has limited the birthday celebrations this year which suits me fine anyway. Who wants to celebrate getting older anyway lol

Of course yes I share it with one of the worst days I've known and many here have known.

NYC, my friends on this site (many who I've had the pleasure to meet and listen to) and the Dept will never be far from my thoughts on this day.

I'll Never Forget.

Wishing all who Mark this day in whatever way I hope you and yours stay safe

Dec (Irish)