News of Members

We had learned from this site member Phil Dancy "Lebby” that when Frank Meade, aka "manhattan" (RIP) had learned that an American Flag was destroyed that was on the back of one of FDNY/EMS ambulances, Frank purchased another flag to replace that one damaged.

We had learned that from "Lebby" and as I understand it, he put that American Flag on the back of the ambulance, aka "bus", that he uses on his EMS tours providing life saving services to the people and visitors of NYC.

Recently, that ambulance was taken out of service during "Lebby’s" days off, apparently to be replaced by a new unit. In addition to that, the American flag that Frank Meade (RIP) had purchased also went along with that ambulance.

Today (Saturday 1/9), "Lebby" plans to make a trip to the EMS Shops to try and locate that flag. I sure appreciate the fact that Phillip is willing to do this. For many of us, this is a very Special American Flag and I sure hope that he is able to locate it and attach it to the back of the FDNY/EMS unit he operates.

Yesterday, one of our members called me and the discussion led to Frank Meade "manhattan". I could NOT say enough about Frank. He was such a GREAT Individual and did so much for others. His appreciation to the members of the NYPD, FDNY, FDNY/EMS, and U.S. Military Veterans was "second to none".

He was a very educated man but never boasted about his own accomplishments.

Although I only met Frank three or four times in person, I am truly "HONORED" that I DID get that privilege. What a Gentleman and Great Guy he was.

Now my wish is that "Lebby” is able to recover that American Flag that has special meaning to many of us here.

If there's anyone here who might be able to help in the recovery of that flag, please do your best to accomplish that for the members of this site and in memory of our good friend who we lost in November (2020), Frank Meade, aka "manhattan".

Phillip "Lebby”, Thank you for this effort on your part and PLEASE let ALL of us here know if you are able to successfully recover that American Flag.

On January 9, 2021 we had learned that through the efforts of Phillip Dancey, aka "Lebby", he had recovered that American Flag.

Now once again through the efforts of member "Lebby", an EMT with the FDNY/EMS, that American Flag has found a home to be displayed in HONOR of Frank Meade, aka "manhattan", who passed away on November 1, 2020. Frank had purchased that flag after he learned another American Flag was destroyed while being displayed on the back of an FDNY/EMS ambulance.

Today (2/10/2021) I learned after a discussion between "Lebby" and the Captain of EMS Station 7, where Frank lived nearby, it has been agreed to incorporate that flag as part of their new updated memorial inside that station's main entrance. It is yet to be built but once finished, Phillip "Lebby" plans to provide us with some pictures.

Phillip, we THANK YOU for this effort and the huge undertaking on YOUR part in the memory of the late Frank Meade, aka "manhattan". Frank Meade was such a Great and Unselfish individual and ALWAYS remembering to HONOR our military veterans, members of the NYPD, FDNY and FDNY/EMS.

Phillip, "Lebby", I'm sure I speak for many members of this site when I say that "we respect you for the job you do and certainly this undertaking to recover this American Flag". As well as find the right place to have it displayed. I also know that Frank would certainly feel the same. He had the highest respect for people like you.

Of course our thanks to the Captain of FDNY/EMS Station 7 who will include this flag at the inside entrance memorial to be built at EMS Station 7. Station 7 is within the response area of where Frank lived on West 23rd St, Manhattan.

With the 20th Anniversary of the attack on America coming up this September, Nycfire.net member Dan Potter, aka "Johnny Gage", along with his wife Jean will be featured on a National Geographic six part series.

Dan and Jean were interviewed before covid restrictions and were required to sign a confidentiality statement not to say anything.

Dan says that they turned away others and committed to this one production.

Dan's wife Jean also wrote a book titled; "By the grace of God". She was working on the upper floors in one of the WTC towers

Here is the link.

www.72films.com/news-1

Last edited:
A very HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to one of our frequent contributors and senior members on this site.

Ray B., aka "Raybrag" on here.

Ray celebrated his 79th Birthday on Monday February 22nd.

Happy Belated Birthday Ray

See page 66, reply # 1304 (News of Members) for a little story about Ray.

Another friend to many here, although he is not a member of this site celebrated his 97th, yes friends - NINETY SEVENTH Birthday on Tuesday, February 23rd.

I am talking about my long time Buff Buddy of about 50 years.

His name, Kenny Kelly and as a buff he still has the highest respect for the work that firefighters do.

He still tells me how lucky he's been to see the FDNY and places like Bridgeport and New Haven, Ct, as well as the Providence FD, operate during their busiest years of fire activity.

Those of you who know him, he is HONORED to consider you as his friends.

Not only is he doing Great, but he is scheduled for his second Covid shot on March 3rd. He lives right between the Bridgeport Police and Bridgeport Fire Headquarters buildings. He sees them responding to incidents all the time. Those are the people he respects the most.

See page 66 and page 67 (News of Members) for more info on TWO Class Acts involving Kenny.
1) Reply # 1320 (page 66) here involving this site administrator, John Bendick and Ken Kelly
2) Reply # 1321 (page 67) here involving a surprise Kenny got from the members of the Bridgeport Police

Thank you for the thought, Willy, but I have stopped having birthdays . . . I have trouble counting that high. BTW: My wife and I are getting our 2nd COVID shot tomorrow morning . . . 7:00 AM appointment . . . best birthday present I've had in years.

Last edited:
A very HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to one of our frequent contributors and senior members on this site.

Ray B., aka "Raybrag" on here.

Ray celebrated his 79th Birthday on Monday February 22nd.

Happy Belated Birthday Ray

See page 66, reply # 1304 (News of Members) for a little story about Ray.

Another friend to many here, although he is not a member of this site celebrated his 97th, yes friends - NINETY SEVENTH Birthday on Tuesday, February 23rd.

I am talking about my long time Buff Buddy of about 50 years.

His name, Kenny Kelly and as a buff he still has the highest respect for the work that firefighters do.

He still tells me how lucky he's been to see the FDNY and places like Bridgeport and New Haven, Ct, as well as the Providence FD, operate during their busiest years of fire activity.

Those of you who know him, he is HONORED to consider you as his friends.

Not only is he doing Great, but he is scheduled for his second Covid shot on March 3rd. He lives right between the Bridgeport Police and Bridgeport Fire Headquarters buildings. He sees them responding to incidents all the time. Those are the people he respects the most.

See page 66 and page 67 (News of Members) for more info on TWO Class Acts involving Kenny.
1) Reply # 1320 (page 66) here involving this site administrator, John Bendick and Ken Kelly
2) Reply # 1321 (page 67) here involving a surprise Kenny got from the members of the Bridgeport Police
Happy B-day Ray & Kenny.

Just got off the phone with Doug “AuxWarYearsCapt”. After giving me the order for Box 7034 (He always corrects me with those 319 boxes as Incan take all the help I can get” Doug told me he still can’t a break. As he told us a couple days back he had pneumonia. Doug now told me he caught the Covid. Guy can’t win.
Rest up Doug and get better soon my friend