News of Members

Here's a question for our members.
Especially those of you that have been around for awhile.

What does member "SoHoTruckin20" have in common with member "Signal73" ?

That was an old post you pulled up Frank. It was from 2012 lol.

I believe I was having a hard time logging in with that user name. Or there was an issue with it I can't remember last month let alone that so far back lol

It hasn't been used since 2014.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct "fdce54". Excellent memory for your old age.

"raybrag", how right you are too.
I often have trouble remembering things a week or two ago, but not several years ago.
I think "fdce54", and one or two others here, can confirm that just in an upcoming event, "I gave the WRONG DATE", and really messed things up.
Hopefully everything is okay now though.

I think (?) the reason the two different user names of "SoHoTruckin20" and "Signal73" came up is because it showed up in another topic here (Engine 37 Tiller 40 in Questions and Answers). Some of the members back then we haven't seen on here in a very long time. Some I even had met maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

I can also remember specific details of the rebirth of "SoHoTruckin20" to becoming "Signal73", on January 20, 2014.

But since then, I must admit that becoming "Signal73", has been a positive move that many members here greatly appreciate.
His active role in run downs for numerous incidents throughout the FDNY and parts of Connecticut are certainly appreciated by many.
As we know, sometimes things happen for a reason.
In this case, I think "Signal73" might be able to confirm that.

It certainly pays to do the RIGHT THING here among the members who all have a similar interest.

Last edited:
Some of the members back then we haven't seen on here in a very long time. Some I even had met maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

But since then, I must admit that becoming "Signal73", has been a positive move that many members here greatly appreciate.
His active role in run downs for numerous incidents throughout the FDNY and parts of Connecticut are certainly appreciated by many.
As we know, sometimes things happen for a reason.
In this case, I think "Signal73" might be able to confirm that.
You are certainly right, Willy. I really miss some of them, too. Catry, for example, and Deano (VBCapt) are sorely missed.

As for Signal73, I agree heartily with you, and really appreciate Brad's contributions to the site.

Catry had the best run downs no one can make em like he did
Did I read right he moved to the UK and became a Special Constable (Auxiliary Police Officer)?

It's amazing he just stopped posting. Agree with above his run downs along with ExChief84 (RIP) were outstanding

But Brad has done a super job keeping us all up to speed with rundown in the past few years.

Brad its funny you should post this......there's also a Dublin Fire Brigade with an Engine and Ambulance on it. The photos they used for the shirt were taken by me and were actually taken from my website without consent

Would love to know if anyone here has any insight into how this works when images that are copyrighted on a website are then used for commercial purposes?

Fire Services here are very funny when it comes to their logos / equipment being used for commercial purposes - which in turn could effect my hobby here as in access to stations for photos
Same thing with me. These jokers have somehow stolen dozens of my images from my website and are advertising them on this crap all over Facebook. Like you, I’m most worried about the false optics of ME selling this crap. In fact, I did some research on MerchPixels today. They have a zillion aliases and their mailing address is a shady warehouse in San Francisco. Tons of complaints about crap quality and no real customer service. The crap apparently is coming directly from overseas. I have no idea how to deal with this one? How the heck did they swipe my images from SmugMug in bulk, as well as what appears to be countless others, many of whom are fellow fire apparatus photographer friends?

Same thing with me. These jokers have somehow stolen dozens of my images from my website and are advertising them on this crap all over Facebook. Like you, I’m most worried about the false optics of ME selling this crap. In fact, I did some research on MerchPixels today. They have a zillion aliases and their mailing address is a shady warehouse in San Francisco. Tons of complaints about crap quality and no real customer service. The crap apparently is coming directly from overseas. I have no idea how to deal with this one? How the heck did they swipe my images from SmugMug in bulk, as well as what appears to be countless others, many of whom are fellow fire apparatus photographer friends?
I threatened the company (or whatever they are) with legal action and said that I'd notified the Gardaí (Police) here telling them my work had been stolen without consent and they got back to me asking what photos were mine and that they'd take them down straight away (which they did)

Maybe the only way to go. The location of their offices was London for me

mack

Administrator
Ken Fisher, AKA "Atlas", was honored by the Commandant of the United States Coast Guard, Admiral Karl. L. Schultz, for his lifetime of honorable and dedicated service to our nation and to the City of New York. Ken protected the people of NYC for over 33 years and retired as Deputy Assistant Chief of Dispatch Operations and Chief Dispatcher in FDNY. Ken also served our country in the US Air Force, where he was an Airman and then a USAF Firefighter. He served in the NY Fire Patrol prior to appointment to FDNY. Ken also provided dedicated service protecting and saving lives as a leader in the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. Admiral Schultz acknowledged Ken as a "Great American" in his personal citation.

In the photo below, Lt Tom Bendick, FDNY, and Captain (R) John Bendick, FDNY (R), congratulate Ken at eh event they hosted to honor Ken and other site members.

Ken.jpg

Other site members receiving acknowledgement for their contributions were: Ignatius "Iggy" Kapalczynski ("fdhistorian") for his fire department historical research and informative postings; Phil Dancey ("lebby") for his EMT and firefighting posts; and Madeline Bendick for her outstanding support to her firefighting family and to members on our site. In addition to John and Tom's personal thanks, Iggy and Phil received citations and new UFA challenge coins. Madeline received a citation, a custom FDNY bracelet and appropriate hugs.

In addition, 4 site members who could not make this event, will be honored for their career service and site contributions at a future event: BC (R) Jack Kleehaas (68jk09"); BC (R) Steve Ternlund (AKA "Whitefish"); FF (R) Dan Potter ("john gage"); and Supervisor (R) Frank Donohue ("FDCE54").

Thank you and well done - Ken, Iggy, Phil, Madeline, Jack, Dan, Steve and Frank.

Chief K:
JK 2 (2).jpgCK 2.jpg

Iggy:
Iggy.jpg

Dan:
dan.jpg Dan 2.jpg

Steve:
Steve.jpg

Frank:
Frank.jpg

Tom:
Tom.jpg

John:
John B E 75.jpg

Last edited:
Well done to all and well deserved for everything they do to keep the site what it is

mack

Administrator
Frank Donahue as a probie with Con Edison (then NY Edison).

Frank Probie 2.jpg
Ken Fisher, AKA "Atlas", was honored by the Commandant of the United States Coast Guard, Admiral Karl. L. Schultz, for his lifetime of honorable and dedicated service to our nation and to the City of New York. Ken protected the people of NYC for over 33 years and retired as Deputy Assistant Chief of Dispatch Operations and Chief Dispatcher in FDNY. Ken also served our country in the US Air Force, where he was an Airman and then a USAF Firefighter. He served in the NY Fire Patrol prior to appointment to FDNY. Ken also provided dedicated service protecting and saving lives as a leader in the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. Admiral Schultz acknowledged Ken as a "Great American" in his personal citation.

In the photo below, Lt Tom Bendick, FDNY, and Captain (R) John Bendick, FDNY (R), congratulate Ken at eh event they hosted to honor Ken and other site members.

View attachment 15188

Other site members receiving acknowledgement for their contributions were: Ignatius "Iggy" Kapalczynski ("fdhistorian") for his fire department historical research and informative postings; Phil Dancey ("lebby") for his EMT and firefighting posts; and Madeline Bendick for her outstanding support to her firefighting family and to members on our site. In addition to John and Tom's personal thanks, Iggy and Phil received citations and new UFA challenge coins. Madeline received a citation, a custom FDNY bracelet and appropriate hugs.

In addition, 4 site members who could not make this event, will be honored for their career service and site contributions at a future event: BC (R) Jack Kleehaas (68jk09"); BC (R) Steve Ternlund (AKA "Whitefish"); FF (R) Dan Potter ("john gage"); and Supervisor (R) Frank Donohue ("FDCE54").

Thank you and well done - Ken, Iggy, Phil, Madeline, Jack, Dan, Steve and Frank.

Chief K:
View attachment 15189View attachment 15195

Iggy:
View attachment 15190

Dan:
View attachment 15191 View attachment 15194

Steve:
View attachment 15192

Frank:
View attachment 15193

Tom:
View attachment 15196

John:
View attachment 15197

mack

Administrator
Supervising Fire Alarm Dispatcher (R) Gary Greenbaum was a guest at John Bendick's. Gary shared history, events, stories and FDNY videos. He also shared his extensive knowledge of NYC streets, bridges, trains and infrastructure. Welcome to our site, Gary.

Gary Greenbaum.jpg

FR.jpg

By Thomas Tracy
New York Daily News

NEW YORK — The FDNY gave a beloved radio dispatcher a special sign-off after a four decade long career.

Gary Greenbaum was honored Friday for his continuous service to the city, officials said.

The Bronx was burning when Greenbaum, 66, joined the FDNY as a fire dispatcher in 1977.

That year, firefighters responded to 129,619 blazes, according to the website fdnewyork.com

On April 29, he made his last broadcast: he was retiring after 41 years of service.

I love helping the public and working with the city -#FDNY Supervising Fire Alarm Dispatcher, Gary Greenbaum, who was honored today at the FDNY Employee Recognition Ceremony. Read more: https://t.co/glUCgY926A pic.twitter.com/oP1Ui2iybM
— FDNY (@FDNY) May 18, 2018
What followed was 15 minutes of well wishes from his colleagues in the field and in headquarters, including the chief of the FDNY's Bureau of Communications, he said.

"It's sad because you work 12 or 18 hour shifts in this job and now you're leaving... it's like leaving a second family," said Greenbaum. "It's sad that I won't be able to help the city."

Greenbaum joined FDNY's Communications Bureau because both he and his dad were fire buffs who bonded over listening to their scanners and going to fire scenes.

"That's where I learned the job," he joked. "I already had prior experience before I came on the job."

Last Evening, a great man is finished his long career from behind the scenes of the FDNY. Bronx Supervising dispatcher Gary Greenbaum, dispatcher 26, is working his last tour after 41 dedicated years to the FDNY. He joined the FDNY in 1977, before our c… https://t.co/lK0laP9paB pic.twitter.com/rNiVzjONFO
— Kempter's Fire Wire (@KempterFireWire) April 30, 2018
His father would often chip in at emergencies and was even made an FDNY honorary assistant chief, he explained.

Greenbaum dispatched fire and emergency calls for 10 years before he was made a supervisor. The rest of his time was spent training and overseeing a team of dispatchers.

He served in all the five boroughs during his career, he said.

"We receive the alarms and we send the fire apparatus out to assist," he said. "They may need additional help so we help them out if they can."

A unique knowledge of the city was key to the job, especially in the years before Google maps, he said.

"When I came in in 1977, there were no computers at all," he said. "You had to process the situation, know where it was happening and send the firefighters there and we did it in less than a minute. And it was much busier in the 70s than it was today.

Last year, firefighters were dispatched to 42,423 fires according to city statistics -- that's a 67% drop from 40 years ago.

"I was there for all the evolutions of computers," Greenbaum said. "Things changed, but they never went bad."

"It's an amazing job, but because of all the security no one could come and see it," he said. "Most people think when they are calling 911 they are calling their local firehouse, but they're calling us."

Greenbaum will be one of 300 FDNY civilian employees who were honored Friday at FDNY headquarters in downtown Brooklyn for giving their blood, sweat and tears to the city for 20 to 40 years.

"It's a very special department," Greenbaum added.

Read more about today’s #FDNY Employee Recognition Ceremony at https://t.co/8sS1LBIq9p pic.twitter.com/UnM5Eol71L
— FDNY (@FDNY) May 18, 2018
"I know I'm being prejudiced but not only is it the largest department, it's the best department in the country. It's very special to me and I enjoyed serving them for all these years."

FDNY SFAD - 26 last tour of duty - sign off after 41 years:

Last edited:
Members of Nycfire.net,

I just learned that one of our frequent contributors to this site has passed away on November 1st '20.

Frank Meade, aka "manhattan" passed away of natural causes in his apartment on West 23rd St in Manhattan at age 70. He would have been 71 on November 5th.

Frank did so much for the members of the FDNY, NYPD, and U.S. Military Veterans. He was very highly respected by the members of those services.

On the anniversary of September 11th he would play a major role in organizing the Father Judge Walk along with the late NYPD Officer Steven McDonald who was shot and paralyzed in Central Park. Officer McDonald passed away just a few years ago.

Frank also reorganized the Veterans Day Memorial Service at Chelsea Park in Manhattan on 9th Ave and 27th St.

I believe that Frank had served in the U.S. Coast Guard and he retired as an Administrator of a large section within a NYC Hospital.

Most recently, Frank started a fund raiser to buy meals for the members of NYPDs 10 Pct, and FDNY Firefighters Engine 3/Ladder 12, as well as the FDNY/EMS members. Frank posted that fund raiser on here and I know that some members contributed to that.

Frank was also very active in his local church.

Not only have "we" lost a good man, but "our entire society" has lost a good man as well. I know that he really enjoyed and appreciated reading the various topics on this site.

Frank was last on this site, the day he passed away on November 1st. We'll miss you Frank. You certainly served your purpose well while on this earth.

God Bless you Frank for all you did. Thank you and may you Rest in Peace.

Here is Frank at the Veterans Day Memorial Service on November 11, 2018

https://postimg.cc/ZBHm0jH9

As Veterans Day, 2021 approaches, I will NEVER forget the member here, Frank Meade, aka "manhattan", who passed away last year on November 1st, 2020.

Frank would always organize a Veterans Day Memorial at Chelsea Park in Manhattan.

He did so much for others during his lifetime and NEVER asked for anything in return.

He was highly respected within the ranks of our U.S. Military Veterans, as well as the FDNY, NYPD, and FDNY/EMS.

Frank Meade was a regular and frequent contributor to this site.
When Frank hadn't been seen on this site, I contacted another well known member here and he advised me to contact the local NYPD Pct (10th) directly.
It was then that I learned of the passing of this Great Man, Frank Meade, aka "manhattan" on November 1, 2020, just before his upcoming birthday on Nov 5th.

Frank also was very involved in the Father Judge Walk along with the late NYPD Officer Steven MacDonald.

He had served time in the U.S. Coast Guard and was an Administrator of a large section of one of NYCs Major Hospitals in Manhattan.

Frank had hoped to meet up with some of the guys on this site. But his health condition prevented him from doing so.
But he never let the area veterans down despite that.

We had also learned that Frank Meade, had purchased an American Flag for an EMS ambulance. A flag to replace one that was stolen from an FDNY/EMS ambulance.

Months later, maybe around March, 2021 we learned that through the efforts of this site member Phil Dancey, aka "lebby", that American Flag had been located and returned to EMS Station 7, which would be used for an inside memorial, dedicated to Frank Meade.

Both Frank Meade and NYPD Officer Steven MacDonald, Great Americans that We Should Never Forget.
Also a huge Thanks to Phil Dancey, aka "lebby" for his efforts in getting back that American Flag.

Of course with Veterans Day, 2021 coming up shortly, We ALL NEED TO REMEMBER;
"FREEDOM DOES NOT COME FREE"
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR MEMBERS WHO HAVE SERVED THIS COUNTRY.

Last edited: