Podcast

A newspaper clipping posted by Getting Salty, which some members may get a kick out of

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210430-100624.png
    Screenshot_20210430-100624.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
Getting Salty Update for Thursday night July 8th.

A quick scheduling update. This Thursday night will be switching to Friday night (7/9).

Apologies to all and to our guest as there is a wake to attend on Thursday.

Word is that the guest speaker is supposed to be the most decorated in his Dept and also went on to be Chief of Dept/Commish.

Gettin Salty hosts Retired FDNY members Lou Rufrano and Kevin Kubler have recently presented an EXCELLENT tour of the FDNY Fire Training Academy, aka "The Rock", led by Battalion Chief Frank Leeb.

I don't always get to see their live podcast but I do always watch them on youtube if I missed it.

I believe the entire tour of the Rock will require four separate podcast, of which two have already been shown.
Their titles are: "Welcome to the Rock - EP1" and "Welcome to the Rock - EP2"

No doubt probably the Best Fire Training School in the entire country.
It certainly was when I used to visit there over in the late 70s, 80s, 90s, up until 9/11.
The training given to both the Probies, as well as the Active members was EXCELLENT. For me, a learning experience just by watching.

Much more has been added since then though, as I see in the Gettin Salty Podcast Series, "Welcome to the Rock".

So check it out and Special THANK YOU to B/C Frank Leeb, as well as Retired FDNY members, Lou Rufrano and Kevin Kubler.
Willy, correct the chief's rank, he is an AC, I do believe..

We have had several members of this site on the Gettin' Salty Podcsast.
Including; "Johnny Gage", "Lt Q", "69METS", "jkal".

Recently the "Gettin' Salty Gang" featured Retired Battalion Chief John Salka.
I don't know if he is a member on the site or not.
Chief Salka doesn't know me, but I was certainly privileged to learn from him about the job.

Chief Salka, along with many others like; Chief Vincent Dunn, Captain Rex Morris, and Lt Andy Fredricks (RIP - 9/11) would donate their time to give various fire classes at the Rock that would benefit the NYC Burn Center.
The late Lt James Curran would organize these classes on a Saturday from around 10 am to about 3 pm - four times a year
For a $25.00 donation, which included lunch, a young buff/firefighter would get to learn from the best and most experienced in their field.

I remember Chief Salka doing some of those classes that I attended as a very fortunate - young/buff firefighter at the time.

Battalion Chief John Salka was the guest speaker on the "Gettin' Salty Podcast" recently and I certainly enjoyed the program.

I would also like to mention that Chief Salka mentions Lt Klett of Engine Co 88, who a few of us got to meet in October, 2019 thanks to Dan Potter, "Johnny Gage".

Lt Klett has also been mentioned on this site when he retired

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/lt-timothy-klett-last-tour.65179/

Below is the Gettin Salty Podcast titled;
"Gettin Salty Experience Podcast Ep78 - FDNY Battalion Chief John Salka"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9PMZQQamOc

Just curious do all FDNY members have to be retired to get on getting salty? Was just curious if they have it in the contract that they can't speak publicly while employed by the department. My department has that stipulation.

I met Chief Salka in 2002 when he was doing a hands-on class with a Saturday night presentation at the Houston Fire Department's inaugural Fire and Safety Symposium. Great guy, great stories and he was very popular with the troops. His was a good podcast.

To your question paul612, no you don’t have to be retired to be on gettin Salty, but with some of the things told sometimes it might be better. However gettin Salty just wants to get all those stories out before old guys like myself are gone.

G. S. PODCAST Episode 149 WITH KATREANA BELLEW DAUGHTER OF FDNY FF JOHN BELLEW.....In this Podcast she discusses her efforts to produce a film on the BX BLACK SUNDAY FIRE....( starts about 4:25 after the introductory remarks )

Last edited:
G. S. PODCAST Episode 149 WITH KATREANA BELLEW DAUGHTER OF FDNY FF JOHN BELLEW.....In this Podcast she discusses her efforts to produce a film on the BX BLACK SUNDAY FIRE....( starts about 4:25 after the introductory remarks )

Thank you Chief.

I watched this Podcast and I must add it is certainly a compelling story told by Katreana Bellew, the daughter of Lt John Bellew who jumped from an upper story window to his death on a day known Black Sunday.

Katreana tells the story of growing up without her father, while her mother raised four children.
After studying movie and film production at NYU, she hopes to produce a movie titled; "Black Sunday - Trial By Fire".