Pump Testing New Super Pumper

Pictures from Facebook, courtesy US Fire Pump & Ray Penatzer.

"Completed testing on this #FDNY #Super #Pumper. This super pumper has a 5500 gpm midship mounted #USFirePump #High #Velocity #Pump. The most stringent pump testing is required by the Department and this HVP pump did not fail to deliver the expected performance.
Kudos to our friends at #ferrarafire for manufacturing this Super Pumper."

!.jpg!!.jpg!!!.jpg!!!!.jpg

Of course, no unit number; no crew cab

Bulldog

Bulldog
Any bets on the unit number? I would place my bet on SP-1 or something similar.

I wonder if this was a Demo they bought because they had it built way to fast for a normal order

I wonder if the Feds or locals might use these units at the west coast wildfires. I understand the water supply issues, but surely those can be overcome. After all, we're Americans and we can damn well overcome any problems!

What are the yellow boxes that seem to be suspended by a crane in the water ? Are they submersible pumps to supply the main pump without drafting ? Are they just for testing purposes or will they be used operationally ?

Won't there be a problem with water pressure now that NYC doesn't have the high pressure hydrants assuming they can't draft? I would think getting this engine close to the scene if it arrives at a multiple alarm fire will be difficult with the first due units there. Is NYC planning to use it with a satellite as the original?

" Won't there be a problem with water pressure now that NYC doesn't have the high pressure hydrants ..." The problem isn't pressure-the pump supplies that- but volume.

I should have said volume I'm curious if that would be a problem at a fire with multiple large caliber streams being used at the same time. Maybe 2 or 3 TL for example.

Wen the Superpumper was in service, there were street grid maps citywide that showed where the best locations were to operate from. Specific intersections had water mains that weren't cross-connected and they could get a supply via 4 1/2" hose from up to three different water mains. This was especially true in the South Bronx; volume wasn't a problem. Other times, 2-3 pumpers would supply simultaenously from different mains in VOLUME setting with Satellite hose..

Won't there be a problem with water pressure now that NYC doesn't have the high pressure hydrants assuming they can't draft? I would think getting this engine close to the scene if it arrives at a multiple alarm fire will be difficult with the first due units there. Is NYC planning to use it with a satellite as the original?
They are able to move rear mounts and TDAs away from fire building to make space for TLs, so they can do the same for this piece. FDNY already has 6 Satellites and they almost exclusively function as hose wagons for LDH, even though the have huge deck guns. So I would say depending on the incident the new 5500gpm pumper will work with the Satellite units.

Any bets on the unit number? I would place my bet on SP-1 or something similar.
I think the name Super Pumper, Super Pumper System should be reserved for the original and its Tenders. This new 'off the shelf' engine is not even close to the original. Isn't history worth preserving? Maybe Mega Pumper for Mega High Rise buildings?

Heard a rumor that this rig will have a huge foam tank and little to no water on board. It will function as it's own foam tender? I could envision this monster throwing foam long distances especially at stubborn multi alarm brush fires.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Heard a rumor that this rig will have a huge foam tank and little to no water on board. It will function as it's own foam tender? I could envision this monster throwing foam long distances especially at stubborn multi alarm brush fires.
I highly doubt this unit will ever respond to a brush fire and even if it did I don't think they would waste foam.

If it does carry foam (I've also heard that rumor) I wonder what type they will carry?

Foam tank is no rumor. In the design spec it clearly states 1000 gallon foam tank.
As for the type of foam.
the Dept standard is
Universal Gold AR-AFFF

Foam tank is no rumor. In the design spec it clearly states 1000 gallon foam tank.
As for the type of foam.
the Dept standard is
Universal Gold AR-AFFF
So is this the replacement to the Foam Tender at 238? Did they ever say where this will be housed?

Remember, I'm a buff, not on the job, so consider my opinion with that in mind. That said,
1. The new (or relatively so) foam tankers each have 1500 gallon tanks; or taken together have twice the capacity of the foam tender; and are 12 years newer.
2. Why in the world would you purchase an exceptionally high volume pumper with a 1,000 gallon tank to replace a 3,000 gallon tanker with no pump?
Seems to me that the idea of buying the "super" pumper to replace the foam tender is, to put it mildly, and without meaning to insult anyone, dumber than dirt.

Ready for some foam fun facts? ?
A sealed container of foam has no shelf life. Once you dump it into a rig’s tank, the clock starts. Foam concentrate will harden from its gel form.
I’m wondering if that plays a role in tank size. Cost also factors in to it. A 5 gallon bucket of Universal Gold is around $1,000. Ideally you would dump the tank after a year but with the heightened EPA concerns you can’t just flow a hand line until the tank is drained anymore.

What are the yellow boxes that seem to be suspended by a crane in the water ? Are they submersible pumps to supply the main pump without drafting ? Are they just for testing purposes or will they be used operationally ?
They are hydraulically operated submersible pumps. The hydraulic power unit is on shore.