Pump Testing New Super Pumper

BCR

Ready for some foam fun facts? ?
A sealed container of foam has no shelf life. Once you dump it into a rig’s tank, the clock starts. Foam concentrate will harden from its gel form.
I’m wondering if that plays a role in tank size. Cost also factors in to it. A 5 gallon bucket of Universal Gold is around $1,000. Ideally you would dump the tank after a year but with the heightened EPA concerns you can’t just flow a hand line until the tank is drained anymore.
I agree with what you’re saying but your numbers are off. Universal Gold goes for about $40 per gallon. A 5 gallon bucket of universal gold is only about $200.

I agree with what you’re saying but your numbers are off. Universal Gold goes for about $40 per gallon. A 5 gallon bucket of universal gold is only about $200.
You're right. My bad. Foggy memory. We spend around $1,000 to fill up our on board tank whenever we empty it.

Won't there be a problem with water pressure now that NYC doesn't have the high pressure hydrants assuming they can't draft? I would think getting this engine close to the scene if it arrives at a multiple alarm fire will be difficult with the first due units there. Is NYC planning to use it with a satellite as the original?
The key to remember is that it is GPM that puts fires out not PSI . PSI is used to move water and shape fire streams and provide reach. They old high pressure system was only present in a very limited area of the city. Back when it was implemented, the gasoline engines of those days could not develop water horsepower to create high pressures or move large volumes of water. The modern diesel of today, coupled with more efficient fire pumps and newer hose technologies has made large volume water delivery and high pressure possible. Today, all you have to do is get water to the apparatus and they will create the pressure. Yes it is true that on a centrifugal pump - the higher the intake pressure the less the pump has to work and the more GPM it can push. But for all the reasons I just listed, decent water mains and large capacity water mains in conjunction with a well specified fire apparatus will produce good streams and volumes without a high pressure system

What are the yellow boxes that seem to be suspended by a crane in the water ? Are they submersible pumps to supply the main pump without drafting ? Are they just for testing purposes or will they be used operationally ?
They are floats for the strainers at the end of the hard suction, to keep them afloat and off the bottom of the pond

dan

This rig has been in the works for several years and the new sattelites were supposed to be of a similar design but a change of staff chiefs and changing priorities saw this rig as a result. The DX of FT01 was not the reason for this rig. Also NYC has the most robust municipal water system in the world. No issues with mains etc... except in some remote areas. Part of the aftermath of 9/11 was the ability to use the new fireboats and the SOC Neptune system (for lack of a better term) and the 2000 gpm pumpers standard now was the ability to move large volumes of water to the middle of the boros from the waterfront in a natural or man made disaster.

This rig has been in the works for several years and the new sattelites were supposed to be of a similar design but a change of staff chiefs and changing priorities saw this rig as a result. The DX of FT01 was not the reason for this rig. Also NYC has the most robust municipal water system in the world. No issues with mains etc... except in some remote areas. Part of the aftermath of 9/11 was the ability to use the new fireboats and the SOC Neptune system (for lack of a better term) and the 2000 gpm pumpers standard now was the ability to move large volumes of water to the middle of the boros from the waterfront in a natural or man made disaster.
If that is the overall plan why don't they set up specially designed drafting stations along the waterways as San Francisco has done. Sure there is alot of water running through NYC but getting an engine to a decent drafting site that isn't in the mud and weeds may be a challenge in many areas. Alo what is the "DX of FT01" ?

There is a good possibility that the "word on the street" that some are saying is that this Rig was the baby of a Staff Chief who is now Retired ....his replacement may not be as exuberant about the use or need for it....i guess we will will see down the road....the jury is still out....i do not know about the overall price of this Rig .....another thought is since it is not a Crew Cab type of Pumper it would have to be a Special Unit rather than a 1st Line Rig in any existing ENG ?....time will tell.

There is a good possibility that the "word on the street" that some are saying is that this Rig was the baby of a Staff Chief who is now Retired ....his replacement may not be as exuberant about the use or need for it....i guess we will will see down the road....the jury is still out....i do not know about the overall price of this Rig .....another thought is since it is not a Crew Cab type of Pumper it would have to be a Special Unit rather than a 1st Line Rig in any existing ENG ?....time will tell.
l would certainly guess it's special call only.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
There is an image of the price floating around, it’s in the $1.3 Million range .

Again, with a complete lack of "inside knowledge", I bet it ends up as a Special Operations Command asset.