Rescue 1

Rescue 1 new rig has been in the city for a while now. Does anyone know why it has never entered service? Maybe the city should look at different vendors for the rescues.

Rescue 1 new rig has been in the city for a while now. Does anyone know why it has never entered service? Maybe the city should look at different vendors for the rescues.
Final Answer on New R1…. It has a lot of issues. It’s going back to Ferrara….. for all the new rigs they are taking a little longer due to COVID and parts coming in from all over….. New Rescue 1 will not! I repeat will not be ready until next year! Over 350 items have to be fixed! That’s right! 350 items. Wait until Hazmat 1 comes in how many issues that will have

The department only has so much control on who gets the contract. Depends on who bids and who gives the lowest price.

Final Answer on New R1…. It has a lot of issues. It’s going back to Ferrara….. for all the new rigs they are taking a little longer due to COVID and parts coming in from all over….. New Rescue 1 will not! I repeat will not be ready until next year! Over 350 items have to be fixed! That’s right! 350 items. Wait until Hazmat 1 comes in how many issues that will have
Wow ok! How is the current Rescue 1 holding up?

Bulldog

Bulldog
It's too bad that Pierce won't bid on the new rescues (or any other FDNY equipment for that matter). I'm sure there are many reasons including but not limited to the warranty requirements. There certainly are awful lot of departments around the nation who love their equipment however.

It's too bad that Pierce won't bid on the new rescues (or any other FDNY equipment for that matter). I'm sure there are many reasons including but not limited to the warranty requirements. There certainly are awful lot of departments around the nation who love their equipment however.
I am told it’s a great rig even tho it has went they flooded water

As has been mentioned before the city is backing themselves into a corner with the overly restrictive specifications they write for new rigs. The five year warranty is probably the biggest deterrent to other potential bidders. What would have happened if Seagrave hadn't bid on the new rigs?

Am i right in thinking Rescue 1 does be the last rescue to be built? If so how is there so many issues if they've already built 4 other Rescues??

I'd be happy to see a lot more Seagrave apparatus. Seems pretty well built and has a decent track record. I'm sure there's a few lemons here or there but overall very reliable from my experience!

Bulldog

Bulldog
I'd be happy to see a lot more Seagrave apparatus. Seems pretty well built and has a decent track record. I'm sure there's a few lemons here or there but overall very reliable from my experience!
I believe everything on order right now except the rescue type trucks (Rescues and HazMats) are Seagrave and I'm not really sure why Seagrave doesn't bid or at least hasn't won any of the bids for rescues. The slot used to be that they didn't make rescues with SS bodies but they do now.

I saw somewhere on here, I think, that Seagrave is not a single source provider for rescue apparatus (i.e. Seagrave builds the cab and chassis and another builder builds the box). The city has required a single source provider for apparatus since Hurricane Sandy

Last edited:
I know they're also in REV Group, but curious to see how Boston's new E-One R-1 and R-2 rigs hold up.

I saw somewhere on here, I think, that Seagrave is not a single source provider for rescue apparatus (i.e. Seagrave builds the cab and chassis and another builder builds the box). The city has required a single source provider for apparatus since Hurricane Sandy
My local volunteer fire company last year took delivery of a $1+ million Seagrave heavy rescue with a Hackney body.