Resorce Unit Leader

I am looking for the FDNY manual or SOP/SOG for the Resurce Unit Leader function, if any one can help thank you in advance

HCO

The FDNY Resource Unit Leader is addressed or mentioned in eight FDNY publications.  Unfortunately, no one reference provides a full description of the function.  Probably the best available summary is in "Fire Department of New York --an Operational Reference" by Griffiths.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Short answer. Used to be the old Comm Cord.  Runs the board in front of the building, keeps track of units.

bhff22 said:
I am looking for the FDNY manual or SOP/SOG for the Resurce Unit Leader function, if any one can help thank you in advance

You beat me to it - I've been looking at several sites that show the RUL responding to several job's, but nothing on what the function is.

tbendick said:
Short answer. Used to be the old Comm Cord.  Runs the board in front of the building, keeps track of units.

Ah, OK - so they just changed the name. I think Comm Cord, is much easier and quicker then this resource leader.  In any case
why is it that the guy/gal that runs the board is considered a resource leader - I think placement coordinator would be better, being that the board is used to identify where all units are operating.

The title RUL comes from National Standardization of terms used Nationwide under NIMMS ...FEMA .....ETC.

BoroCall said:
tbendick said:

Ah, OK - so they just changed the name. I think Comm Cord, is much easier and quicker then this resource leader.  In any case
why is it that the guy/gal that runs the board is considered a resource leader - I think placement coordinator would be better, being that the board is used to identify where all units are operating.

Two reasons:
1) Because the RUL manages resources inside fire building as well as remaining units on hand.
2) Line Placement Coordinator is soon becoming the new term for Engine officers

enginecap said:
2) Line Placement Coordinator is soon becoming the new term for Engine officers

Without meaning to insult engine officers, this makes no sense whatever to me . . . only a more convoluted title.  Unless, of course, the purpose is to restrict the engine officer to ONLY placing lines.  Sounds more to me the same kind of thinking that made the garbage men "sanitary engineers".