Runs & Workers 2022

None !?!! Is FDNY Not Billing Medicaid & Healthcare Insurers for Medical Treatment/Transport Services ??*

Years ago, that Saved an Emergency Ambulance Squad I Worked for in Binghamton From Going Under.
I Really Find it Hard to Believe FDNY/NYC is Not Billing for these Covered Services. :oops:

None !?!! Is FDNY Not Billing Medicaid & Healthcare Insurers for Medical Treatment/Transport Services ??*

Years ago, that Saved an Emergency Ambulance Squad I Worked for in Binghamton From Going Under.
I Really Find it Hard to Believe FDNY/NYC is Not Billing for these Covered Services. :oops:
We only bill for transport, RMAs and CFR don't get billed.

Engine 155 with 3,200 runs. First time Staten Island has had a company with over 3k runs in a year
Like most other engine companies with high run #s, more than half of all runs were EMS. Interesting how that’s now “part of the job”. Busy engine company, more than 50% of the time you’re toned out it’s for a medical emergency. E155 breaking the 3000 run barrier is still interesting to note though. The Hot Corner 155/78, 153/77 great places to learn the job if on SI. Also interesting to note: TL79 (single company housed with BC22) had the most # of AH or greater on the island but was not the busiest in # of runs. Guess they have a decent “run to work” ratio.

L83 also had a high # of AH or greater, I’d say due to their large response area. They’re either 1-3rd due to much of the island’s mid and north shore.

Well Done.

"Emergencies: Non-Fire 36.26% and Medical (CFR) 54.70%

54.7 % CFR Runs Generate Significant FDNY Revenue,
while >36.2% Gas/Electrical Emergencies Generate Significant FDNY Expense.

I Wonder If/When NYC will Finally seek some Compensation from Con Ed & NatGrid for providing Emergency Utility Service
to Their Customers? :unsure:
This is a very slippery slope. While structural and all fires have continued to decrease over the last two decades, the CFR runs, and other non Fire Emergencies have steadily increased to the point that in number of runs annually, FDNY (Fire Suppression) is busier than ever including the war years. The Staffing levels are among the highest ever. As fires declined around the country, many fire departments cut back on units and staffing often through attrition. Go ask the brothers in Newburgh NY about their continuous cutbacks and their workload now. The FDNY is funded through a variety of taxation. Governmental services were never designed or intended to be profitable. Yes it is advantageous to seek reimbursement for services such as fire department building inspections (a fee like the thousands of other governmental fees), New building permit and plans review, EMS Transport fees ( mechanism exists for private insurer and Medicare reimbursement), and penalties for excessive fire alarms from a specific occupancy. This idea has been brought up in many localities nationwide over the years. Do we start billing auto insurers for a client's car fire? Do we bill The Triboro bridge and tunnel authority and the Port Authority for any fires and emergencies we respond to at their bridges, tunnels, and airports? The primary reason ( at least the intent before the politicians find other purposes) is to keep taxes lower. Yes we know that nationwide, the average is about 75% EMS. Most of those EMS runs are not true emergencies or just a ride to the hospital. I get it. We all hate the abuse the 911 system takes, the unnecessary runs we go on and the abuse of the system.

This is a very slippery slope. While structural and all fires have continued to decrease over the last two decades, the CFR runs, and other non Fire Emergencies have steadily increased to the point that in number of runs annually, FDNY (Fire Suppression) is busier than ever including the war years. The Staffing levels are among the highest ever. As fires declined around the country, many fire departments cut back on units and staffing often through attrition. Go ask the brothers in Newburgh NY about their continuous cutbacks and their workload now. The FDNY is funded through a variety of taxation. Governmental services were never designed or intended to be profitable. Yes it is advantageous to seek reimbursement for services such as fire department building inspections (a fee like the thousands of other governmental fees), New building permit and plans review, EMS Transport fees ( mechanism exists for private insurer and Medicare reimbursement), and penalties for excessive fire alarms from a specific occupancy. This idea has been brought up in many localities nationwide over the years. Do we start billing auto insurers for a client's car fire? Do we bill The Triboro bridge and tunnel authority and the Port Authority for any fires and emergencies we respond to at their bridges, tunnels, and airports? The primary reason ( at least the intent before the politicians find other purposes) is to keep taxes lower. Yes we know that nationwide, the average is about 75% EMS. Most of those EMS runs are not true emergencies or just a ride to the hospital. I get it. We all hate the abuse the 911 system takes, the unnecessary runs we go on and the abuse of the system.
A city near me that was experiencing financial difficulties and was going to cut companies came up with the idea of out-of-towners being billed for MVA' and car fires, among other FD, non medical, responses.

dan

The Marine and Haz Mat Battalions have a lot of runs because HB01 is assigned to every run HM01 gets and MB01 gets assigned to every run any of the Marine companies get. Numbers are misleading unless people actually know better.

Mount Sinai Does lol
Thanks, Capttomo
A lot to 'pick thru' here:
First; when I lived in Wallkill, NY (Ulster Co., approx. 14 or so Mi. W. of Newburgh,) I did indeed get the chance to speak to a couple of NFD Members... their outlook about the Department Situation and Work Conditions are, as you say: Bleak. The Same holds true for Newburgh PD. They get the Occasional Federal or NYS Grant for another Officer or 2,
and when 2 or 3 Officers Retire, they again struggle to maintain barely Minimum Staffing. Fortunately, they get frequent MA from County & State Law Enforcement.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=newbu...6j0l2.8067j0j1&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=EDGEDBB

Also, NFD gets MA from Stewart ANG as well as West Point FD, and others, or Newburgh would have burned to the ground a few years ago.
https://fire.fandom.com/wiki/Stewar...ET),-,Department Profile,-Aircraft rescue and

(Please Pardon the Dissertation here but as some of you know, I'm a Writer, so I Write :sneaky: ) I also have some personal familiarity with the Topic, so I am somewhat compelled... .

As stated, Broome Volunteer Emergency Squad, Binghamton, NY, (Paid/Vol.), very nearly
went completely out of operation until the Squad began billing Insurance Providers for Services Rendered; Treatment & Transport, as well as CFRD Treat & Release. If Pt. had No Insurance, Squad billed them directly, and they either Paid or Not, and that was it, Case Closed.

What I meant by stating FDNY CFRD Runs generate Revenue for The Department was CFRD Runs with subsequent FDNY – EMS Treatment and Transport, thus generating FDNY Revenue. Often, FDNY-EMS Treatment/Transport Care (Billable Patient Services), are initiated by CFRD Response.
How often has CFRD Response initiated Primary Pt. Care: CPR (including De-fib), Control Bleeding, Splint Fractures, Administer O2 and/or Narcan, not to mention Pt. Assessment including Pt. Vital Signs? CFRD also frequently updates FDNY-EMS as to Pt. Status.

In my question of NYC receiving Compensation from Con Ed & NatGrid, I do not imply that FDNY ever start charging TBTA, PA, Transit, or any other Government Agency …
Con Ed, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Edison
and NatGrid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Grid_plc
are very much for-profit, multi-billion dollar corporations that charge their customers for service while FDNY provides Emergency Service for their aging, poorly-maintained infrastructure. (Please see the Con Ed Section: Major accidents and incidents. )

Good question about the squads is how many of the calls for Squad 41 are above 42nd Street to 125th that’s how you know if another squad is needed. Since Div 3 is the only Division without a “Squad”
If they were to add a Squad in Div 3, who? I say 21.

If they were to add a Squad in Div 3, who? I say 21.
When the Squads were being formed in 1998, E 23 was supposed to be one of the new Squads, not sure of all the particulars, but they were dropped and no replacement was made

When the Squads were being formed in 1998, E 23 was supposed to be one of the new Squads, not sure of all the particulars, but they were dropped and no replacement was made
Then they talked about making E44 the Squad…. E23 would be really tight with the 2nd Piece maybe it won’t fit.

Then they talked about making E44 the Squad…. E23 would be really tight with the 2nd Piece maybe it won’t fit.
Wasn't about rig placement, members hadn't been selected yet, no training had started.......I think there was some backlash from the community....

I counted my company’s total all hands for the year of 2022 from NYFIRS and it was the same exact number as the website. Good stuff

its funny engine 70 gets less runs that engine 329 but goes to more ems runs
City Island (E70) has a lot of visitors to the Island especially when the weather gets warmer. Fishing, Boat rentals, dining at restaurants, sightseeing etc.