SUPER PUMPER 1

Bulldog

Bulldog
"FDNY used Ferrara numerous times in the past with other specialized units as well as rear-mount ladders and heavy rescues." As if they've had such great success with those units! Hopefully this 1 won't be as much of a dog as the heavy rescues are!

It was not a COD....it was a Staff Chief who Retired before delivery....maybe something will happen after Jan 1 with the new FC & his new crew ?
Sound like a similar situation with the Fireboats John Devaney and Al Ronaldson commissioned in 1992 and both lasted 5 months before decommissioned and sold.

I would really love to see how this thing would operate when it does not have any drafting options and it Has to do in line pumping from a water source it will take at least 2 to 3 engines if there’s some distance involved. That’s why I was asking about the 5 inch intakes for conventional or non-conventional operations involving other units or satellite units. I guess they can always put a reducer on the 8 inch if necessary but as you stated I guess they have 2 5 inch intakes on both sides

Now that it looks like this unit will actually be in service I wonder if they are re-surveying the drafting sites and spots where high-volume water mains were available around the City that were previously identified for the original Super Pumper system. Many of them may not be useful any more and new ones may now be available. This information could be provided by dispatchers or the data terminals when the unit is enroute. I don't think that this unit will be a "close to the fire building" piece but rather supply the fire scene from a location with excellent water mains or a good drafting site using the large diameter hose, relays with the 2,000 gpm pumpers, and then Satellite units.

Are they drafting seawater is there anything special they have to do to do that or do they just flush it was a regular water after

Anyone have a list of Super Pumper hook-up sites used with the original Super Pumper ? I am particularly interested in the ones on Staten Island.

Anyone have a list of Super Pumper hook-up sites used with the original Super Pumper ? I am particularly interested in the ones on Staten Island.
There may not be a list as such. Prior to turning out on a run, the Super Pumper Officer would consult a map of water mains to determine the appropriate hook up sites. The hook up sites were based on the largest water mains in proximity to the fire scene. The maps were provided by DEP and kept in a large cabinet in the the company office.

From A previous post Titled 318/166 Kings of Neptune gives an Explanation of the High Pressure mains and how they were used in the Past Especially Coney Island. Its a Pretty Good Article , takes You back a bit.

CONEY ISLAND HISTORY - PUMPING STATION

The Coney Island Pumping Station replaced an older, outdated station in 1937-38. The need for a high pressure water system in this area was dire, as the previous one failed during the Dreamland fire of 1911 and a catastrophic fire along the boardwalk in 1932. The new station, a project of the Works Progress Administration.

Coney Island Pumping Station, Brooklyn | Historic Districts Council's Six to Celebrate

Coney Island had one of the city's high pressure water systems. The pumping station was at Neptune Avenue and W 12th St. Upon receipt of alarm, a switch was thrown manually at the pumping station to increase the water pressure to 300 psi. Lines could be stretched from high pressure hydrants and operated directly into fire buildings. The Coney Island system was active until 1979.