TEXAS VOL FIRE CHIEF ARRESTED FOR STEALING $150K-$300K FROM DEPARTMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

Administrator

mack

Administrator
The chief obviously did not know he was running a non-profit organization.

1657839029333.png

Bulldog

Bulldog
There are many many volunteer fire departments throughout the United States that have operated legally with no embezzlement for over 100 years in many cases! As long as they are set up correctly and have appropriate checks and measures in place and they have no problem whatsoever!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is estimated that $80 billion has been handed out fraudulently for Covid paycheck protection. Welfare fraud, Medicare fraud, Defense Department fraud, auto accident fraud, municipal workers' compensation fraud (for a laugh look up LIRR fraud), loan fraud. Every place that financial transactions take place have fraud. Go talk to a CPA who does audit trails for small businesses. Why should volunteer fire departments be any different? Sadly, everyone isn't as honest as you and I.

I don't think I've heard of this happening with fire departments but it's happened in so many other types of non-profit organizations from youth sports groups to private schools. Some people will just find a way however they can to get an advantage.

Houston FD Station 63 is at Clayton Parkway and Lee Road at the main entrance to Intercontinental Airport. It is surrounded by dense pine woods. Decades ago, Headquarters felt that the fuel truck was delivering diesel fuel to more than the pumper---like members pick-up trucks. To get evidence, an arson investigator was given a camera with a telephoto lens and told to set up undercover in the woods. Everything went great until the investigator was bitten by a copperhead snake and ended up in the hospital.

I don't think I've heard of this happening with fire departments but it's happened in so many other types of non-profit organizations from youth sports groups to private schools. Some people will just find a way however they can to get an advantage.
You have been leading a sheltered life! This is just one page of a Google search on the topic
https://www.firefighternation.com/n...chief-arrested-for-stealing-department-funds/
https://www.wane.com/news/indiana/fire-chief-arrested-for-stealing-28k-from-department/
https://www.texomashomepage.com/new...city-volunteer-fire-chief-arrested-for-theft/
https://www.firehouse.com/careers-e...t-from-fire-department-firefighter-news-video
https://www.firelawblog.com/2021/05...icials-charged-with-stealing-from-department/

Sad to say, I've seen this in many vol fd's. Recently, the next door vol fd, the treasurer skimmed 5.7 million over a 13 year scheme, and is now in jail for 6 years.

mack

Administrator
There are 19,067 volunteer fire depts in the US and many have multiple companies with respective chiefs. It is unfair and statistically inaccurate to paint them as typically corrupt because of an extremely small number of headlines. There are many more headlines of volunteer chief LODDs than arrests. Corruption unfortunately exists in volunteer orgaizations which often have poor accountability, insufficient oversight, no management training and no financial experts. It also exists in businesses, professional organizations and government organizations. Most volunteer fire departments are comprised of honest and dedicated individuals who serve selflessly, face risks and protect lives and property. Let's not be prejudiced and unfair when someone lets their organization down.

mack

Administrator
Corruption comes in many forms and may be even harder to be exposed or proven in government organizations which have greater resources to cover up scoundrels. Corruption goes well beyond stealing money. Corruption in any organization, at any level, should not be tolerated. Criminals, including fire chiefs, mayors, clergy members and members of Congress, should be prosecuted. But let's not be unfairly cynical of all volunteer-led organizations or naive believing that paid government organizations and departments do not have similar corruption and cronyism.

The Aviation Vol Fire Dept in the Bronx was accused of squandering a $500K 9/11 grant. I believe they were disciplined and prohibited from operating in NYC. I do not know their current status.
Thanks, that’s the department I was thinking of but couldn’t remember the name.

Bulldog

Bulldog
The Aviation Vol Fire Dept in the Bronx was accused of squandering a $500K 9/11 grant. I believe they were disciplined and prohibited from operating in NYC. I do not know their current status.
They obviously had a very poorly run department with no checks for financial operations! Every organization big or small needs to have checks and balances to control their finances!

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY & the NYS FIRE shut them down,

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
No matter what field you are in, it will pull in several types of people. I separate them by saying the good, the bad, and the ugly. Let is be a civic group, a religious group, a governmental agency, or a fire department. When something happens good or bad the media may jumps on the story. If its bad, the media will play it up hoping to get a really nasty ugly angle to the incident. Always looking for the new outrageous headline! On the other hand, if the event or incident is good we are luckily to ready about it once if at all.

I am sorry to say in today's world this happens too often. The bad or ugly story gets repeated and repeated, but not the positive story. We will never stop the greed from people who are looking for something for nothing, nor we may never find out the real truth why the money was taken and if was not to help someone else who really cares because its gone. Maybe we can put some energy in to helping the culprit and make sure this does not happen again to another organization. Do we still have any Robin Hoods among us today?

In this thread is mentioned Aviation VFD in Bronx, NY. Yes there were problems at the end of the lifespan but in previous years do we even think and thank there previous members for all the good that they did for the residents of the community they served. I can tell you first handed that they saves a lot of lives and property over the years. They did not have a big fancy fire house or band new rigs. Like many other VFD's it was all hand-me-down's from other departments. So what happened, new members joined & took control of the organization. Policies changed and problems were created. When the problems got out of hand FDNY ordered them to shut down. Are you aware that there are 9 other VFD's in NYC?

None of us are 100% perfect and I don't thing we all live in glass houses so lest all be careful of the stones that we throw.

I think enough has been said, let's put this thread to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.