The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

Benjamin Earl Nelson better known in the music world as Ben E. King died yesterday at the age of 76. R.I.P and thank you for the songs and memories.

memory master said:
Benjamin Earl Nelson better known in the music world as Ben E. King died yesterday at the age of 76. R.I.P and thank you for the songs and memories.

We remember Ben E. King (Sept 28, 1938 - April 30, 2015). R.I.P.

This was one of his most famous hits back in 1961.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjZldG5qkV4 

Now I know we all can't be Doo Wop fans. That's not the only kind of music out there. Of course there's Country Music too, that I'm sure a lot of our friends also enjoy. I bet the Most Rev CFDMarshall of Tennessee is one of them.

I also know that on this site we have a lot of retired firefighters. This is a song written by a retired firefighter from Lexington, Ky. This song was written about a true story that happened to him one early morning on a call just before shift change. I think some on here may also relate to it, whether they are retired or active, volunteer or city paid.

We give you the Moran Brothers singing "The OLE' Firefighters Song". www.youtube.com/watch?v=as2Nm9S_n3M

I just heard that Lenny Coco, leader of the Chimes has passed away. I had the privilege of working with Lenny at the former WNYG 1440 out on Long Island in the early to mid 90's. That was a part time gig for me and Lenny did M-F 10A-2P. I'll see what further info comes out and I will let you guys know. Rest in peace Lenny and may God console your family.

memory master said:
I just heard that Lenny Coco, leader of the Chimes has passed away. I had the privilege of working with Lenny at the former WNYG 1440 out on Long Island in the early to mid 90's. That was a part time gig for me and Lenny did M-F 10A-2P. I'll see what further info comes out and I will let you guys know. Rest in peace Lenny and may God console your family.
  Yes, I got the news this morning from his family. About 18 years ago The Channels and the Chimes were traveling deep in Amish country on I-80 on a tour bus returning from a concert in Warren, Ohio. when Lenny had his first heart attack. I was sitting right in front of him when I heard Rocky shouting "Hey, hey!" because he had seen Lenny collapse forward into the back of my seat. There was no cell phone service so the bus driver kept us moving until a signal was found. The first 1st responder turned out to be an Amish man in an old 1960's Dodge van with only a small basic medical equipment bag. Somehow he was able to contact an ambulance and they transported Lenny to a hospital about 35 miles away. A few months later we went to a Church in East Harlem where they were honoring Lenny and he appeared like he wasn't doing well. Fast Forward another 2 years and Lenny appeared to have come back as if nothing had ever happened to him. I played in the "house-band" behind his group about 5 or 6 times. Fans are saying they noticed he wasn't feeling well at his last show.   

G-Man, a disturbing rumor is supposedly flying around Face-Book that Herbie Cox has also passed away. I certainly hope that is false. Did you hear anything about this?

memory master said:
G-Man, a disturbing rumor is supposedly flying around Face-Book that Herbie Cox has also passed away. I certainly hope that is false. Did you hear anything about this?
Thankfully this rumor is untrue. Some wacko hacked Herb's web site and created a hoax.

memory master said:
memory master said:
Thankfully this rumor is untrue. Some wacko hacked Herb's web site and created a hoax.
  Yes, I got word of it from my old drummer and told him it had to be a hoax that Herbie had posted in some special words what he thought about it. ;)

guitarman314 said:
memory master said:
  Yes, I got the news this morning from his family. About 18 years ago The Channels and the Chimes were traveling deep in Amish country on I-80 on a tour bus returning from a concert in Warren, Ohio. when Lenny had his first heart attack. I was sitting right in front of him when I heard Rocky shouting "Hey, hey!" because he had seen Lenny collapse forward into the back of my seat. There was no cell phone service so the bus driver kept us moving until a signal was found. The first 1st responder turned out to be an Amish man in an old 1960's Dodge van with only a small basic medical equipment bag. Somehow he was able to contact an ambulance and they transported Lenny to a hospital about 35 miles away. A few months later we went to a Church in East Harlem where they were honoring Lenny and he appeared like he wasn't doing well. Fast Forward another 2 years and Lenny appeared to have come back as if nothing had ever happened to him. I played in the "house-band" behind his group about 5 or 6 times. Fans are saying they noticed he wasn't feeling well at his last show. 

Rest in Peace Lenny Cocco.

! No longer available

Most of us who grew up during the Days of Doo Wop will tell you what a GREAT Time to be around. Many of those songs, some 40-50 years later, we still remember them, word for word. Some of those Doo Wop singers are still drawing big crowds wherever they appear. Their music is still a hit with those that remember.

For those of us who were a part of it, we will always be the first ones to tell you how lucky we were. Great music, great cars, drive in theaters, buttered pop corn, the high school dance, Murray the K, Cousin Brucie, and Wolfman Jack. But now there's a song out that really tells how we feel. For those of us who really appreciated all the stories and the music of those times that have been posted in the last 13 or so pages, I think you might appreciate this one too. So listen closely as you are entertained.

My Senior Citizen friends enjoy, "this one's for you".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jpxWB0Jzw

One of the greatest songs along w/Kenny Vance & The Planetones doing "Looking For An Echo" is Arlene Smith re doing "Maybe" as a tribute to Jackie Landry......

Last edited:
Capt. Ronnie Gilyard Ladder 40, was a huge huge fan of the doo wop....went out dancing and to concerts all of the time.  Engine 76 has a current member named Frank Pizarro who has sang with all of the big current doo wop revivals etc.....he was lead singer with platters when they got back together about ten years ago.  Frank, by the way, sings the national anthem for the FDNY ceremonial unit so u may have seen him at one of our memorials.....I was pretty proud to see him sing at a NY Ranger game

The Capris had a song called Indian Girl. In it they sang "One little, two little, three little Indians etc. My grandson recently came home from kindergarten very proud of a song his teacher had taught his class. He proceeded with "One little, two little. three little native Americans, etc etc, ten little native American boys and girls". I kid you not. This is how our youngest generation is being taught in school today. The poor Capris would be arrested by the PC police today if they reintroduced Indian Girl.

Marlowe Murray was a singer with the group Fi-Tones Quartette and then The Fi-Tones.he lived on Van Buren St. in Bed Stuy where he was born and grew up.The group wasn't making any money so he took the FDNY test, He worked in 235/Sq3 then transferred to L132. Lowe received 3/4 from the City,then was called by Raul Cita of the Harptones to join the group. Lowe joined them in 1972 and was with them until he died, about three yrs ago.
R.I.P. Lowe

Two great groups you mentioned JOR. Oh, in regard to the Capris, lead singer Nick Santomaria was a P.O. in the 112 Pct. Qns.

Doo Wop Platters singer, Frank Pizzarro, of FDNY Engine Co 76.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=flsuV3s9hos

Doo Wop Capries singer, Nick Santomaria, former NYPD.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7WdRc2duag

Lost in the Fifties. As the music plays, take a look back at how it was. Do you remember ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjj9VKKSV2g

How about those days of the Brooklyn Fox Theater Holiday Review back in 1963 with Murray the K.

Here's a Blast from the Past. The Brooklyn Fox Theater proudly presents Murray the K. Some Big Oldies for you.
  The Angels                                              The Shirelles
  The Chiffons                                            The Tymes
  The Dovells                                              Jan and Dean
  Jan and the Americans                              Randy and the Rainbows
  The Ronettes                                            Gene Pitney
  The Drifters                                              The Miracles

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2OZgfW5QWA

Ah yes, the days of "Submarine Race Watching" with Murray The "K" on 1010 WINS, NYC. Only two short years later (1965) WINS went to an all news format which they still do today.