The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

Another Italian kid from South Philly Joseph Dominick Tarsia died on November 1st at age 88. Cameo-Parkway...TSOP...Sigma Sound...Philadelphia International Records....He made all the talent "sound" better! RIP

Jim Stewart, age 92, died on December 5th. Starting out as a moonlighting fiddle player in a country band, he started a recording studio that ultimately became Stax Records. The label released 800 singles performed by the likes of Otis Redding, Sam & Dave (who I saw live at the Fillmore East on Second Avenue and East 6th Street in 1969), Isaac Hayes, Wilson Pickett (who had the Crazy Legs contest at the Apollo Theater), The Staple Singers, Booker T. and the M.G.'s. and, of course, Rufus Thomas and his daughter Carla.

In the summer of 1969 I caught a 2nd alarm in the corner building right next to the Fillmore East while the Fillmore was crowded with people. It was a 5 story under renovation, with fire on 4 floors. I believe a Chief was passing by and gave the 2nd alarm as a verbal. We were 2nd. Due on the box that came over the bells as a second alarm. What a surprise! As his aide was on the radio he went into the Fillmore, got on the stage to stop the music and have everyone exit the building. The band would have none of the guy on their stage, and punched him. Somehow he got the message across and most people started filling out into the street. When we showed up, there were hundreds gathered outside watching the fire.
Stretching a 2 1/2, and moving a charged line and putting out fire on the 2nd 3rd and 4th floors, we got a unit citation. With just under a year on the job, it was my first ribbon, which I wore proudly.

.Just a typical 60's day in the East Village. My then brother-in-law was an usher at Fillmore East. He snuck me in the back door to see Sam & Dave and their 12 piece soul band...great performers. The "mary jane" smoke was so thick one would have thought the place was already on fire.

Another time he took me to a "rathskeller" in Greenwich Village for dinner. The place had maybe six tables. There was live entertainment- some fruitcake playing a ukulele. The next time I see Tiny Tim, he's on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Sad to report that Charles Graci, a.k.a. Charlie Gracie passed away near Philadelphia Pa. this past Friday 12/16/22 at the age of 86. One of his hits was "Butterfly" around 1957-58 I think. Rest in Peace and thanks for the memories.

MY SIDE OF THE STORY.....JOEY & DOREEN ARMINIO..

I just wanted to pass the word on to those Doo-Wop fans that "Stiletto & the Saxman" will be appearing in the NYC and metro area.
The shows will include other doo-wop singers as well

On Sunday March 19th, from 2-5 pm in the Bronx, at the "Morris Park Performing Arts Center"

On Sunday April 23, starting at 4 pm at the "Suffolk Theater"

Additional information can be found on their web site.

www.armimioentertainment.com

The original Duprees were a great group hailing from New Jersey. Many years ago I heard a radio dj, who obviously wasn't aware, introduced them as the "Dupress."

Cynthia Weil, age 82, passed away June 1st. After growing up on the Upper West side of Manhattan, she and her husband Barry Mann wrote songs at 1650 Broadway (two blocks from the Brill Building at Broadway and 49th) beginning in 1961. Hit songs they authored include "On Broadway" by the Drifters and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" (1964) by The Righteous Brothers- ranked the most played song of the 20th century.

Oh, she also wrote "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" in 1965 for The Righteous Brothers, but recorded by Eric Burdon and the Animals. How many Vietnam Veterans have sung along with this song with one arm around a comrade and a beer bottle in the other arm?

Evelyn Witkin passed away last week at age 102. She had won the National Medal of Science and the Albert Lasker Award (just below the Nobel Prize) for the discovery of how the body's DNA repairs damage. This allowed advances in cancer and genetic defects treatment. She is survived by her son Dr. Joseph Witkin-a founding member of Sha Na Na.

With regard to Tony Bennett's "I left My Heart In San Francisco" being a gigantic hit, did you know that was released as the "B"Side? "Once Upon A Time" was released as the 'plug' side of the record. They lucked out with that one. Just a bit of trivia for you guys if you didn't already know it.

With regard to Tony Bennett's "I left My Heart In San Francisco" being a gigantic hit, did you know that was released as the "B"Side? "Once Upon A Time" was released as the 'plug' side of the record. They lucked out with that one. Just a bit of trivia for you guys if you didn't already know it.

Thank you "memorymaster", I wasn't aware of that.
Tony Bennett will be remembered as one of the GREATS who shared his gifted talent with so many of us over so many years.

Now, I'd like to share with you the talents of "24KgoldMUSICshow".
A group of ladies that have about 276 separate you tube videos in keeping the oldies alive.
Most recently I believe they have been joined by a guy doing the lead singing.

But first, this one is dedicated to many of you who grew up in NYC during those great times.
If you did, I'm sure you remember this one.
It's about YOU.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENHnlTFvwc

And here is their version of;
"Keeping the Oldies Alive"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAksdZaptM

Last edited:
Another one bites the dust. Bronx native Jerry Moss died recently at age 88. With Herb Alpert, they founded A&M Records in 1962. They sold the business in 1989 for $500 million.

Over the years they represented Waylon Jennings (briefly), The Carpenters, Carole King, Cat Stevens, Peter Frampton, Janet Jackson, Sting and The Police, and, of course, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. He also owned a race horse that won the Kentucy Derby in 2005.

Jerry's first job in 1957 at $75/week was pitching records to radio stations for Doo-Wap Coed Records in the Brill Building. His first success was "16 Candles" by the Crests- who I saw sing it live (Neil Sedaka was there too doing "Oh Carole" King) in St. Louis in about 1960.

Did you know that there really was no Tijuana Brass? The recordings were by a studio group called The Wrecking Crew who backed Alpert at sessions. The guys on tour with him were substitutes and if you listen closely you can hear a difference in the sound. Just in case you wanted to know, lol.

Glen Campbell started as session guitarist for the Wrecking Crew and didn't they do all the drumming on Beach Boy recordings. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass outsold the Beatles and had four albums in the top 10 at one time in the 1960's. Hope those guys had a rock-solid contract.