The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

Hal Blaine was on drums. He played for many, many, many artists recordings aside from the Beach Boys. Glen Campbell besides guitar work on the Beach Boys recordings he also was a background singer on them.

Can anybody locate the video from the 2001 Pittsburgh Doo Wop show that has Larry stopping during singing "I Believe" & relating his throat cancer battle ?...I had posted it on here awhile back but I can't find it ?

On September 6th Larry Figueiredo AKA Larry Chance passed away at age 82 of lung cancer. Born in the Bronx and raised until age 15 in South Philly, he was the lead singer of the group the High Hatters formed in 1957 on Rome Records. Since they couldn't afford tuxedos and top hats, they changed their name to the Earls- picking it at random from a dictionary. All this despite his father telling him to "get a man's job".

The Earls' big break came in 1962 with the song "Remember Then" (which Sirius Channel 72 played around noon today). It was part of a radio call-in competition for the best of five songs.

"We had every kid in the North Bronx with a pocket full of dimes and we just flooded that station with calls."

The group also recorded "Life is But a Dream", "Never", and "I Believe". In the 1980's Larry did the characters Rainbow Johnson and Geraldo Santana Banana on the Don Imus radio show on WNBC. His last public performance was this June with Billy Vera in White Plains.

Although this might not be considered Doo Wop, it became a number 1 hit the week of Valentines Day, 1963.
It was music from a different time and the song was called "Hey Paula" sung by Ray Hildebrand (as Paul) and Jill Jackson (as Paula).
I'm NOT sure if Jill Jackson is still with us, but sadly on August 23, 2023, singer Ray Hildebrand passed away at the age of 82 years old.

This might have been his last performance singing "Hey Paula" on the Ray Stevens Show about one year ago in 2022.

Here is Ray Hildebrand with that number 1 hit from February, 1963
Rest in Peace Ray and Thank You for Sharing Your Talent with us.

Do You Remember; "Hey Paula"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UUbTZmWQU

For all you Doo Wop fans out there, did you know that Cousin Brucie of 77 WABC Radio does a Roll & Roll Show every Saturday night from 6pm - 10 pm.

Yes Cousins, remember those nights listening to Cousin Brucie play your favorite hits on the radio.
He's back.

I think this will help.

By the way - Cousin Brucie just turned 88 years old on October 13th.
He was born in Brooklyn, NY on October 13, 1935

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COUSIN BRUCIE.

www.wabcmusicradio.com/podcast/cousin-brucies-saturday-night-rock-n-roll-party

Last edited:
Cousin Brucie had a book published and Titled "DOO WOP". Published in 2007 and he did an autograph signing in a Huntington book store and I was a recipient of a signed copy. I use to go bed with my little transistor radio, cigarette pack size, and listen to all the music that has now become our doo wop music. On a good night I was able to pick up Chicago, I believe it was station WLS.

Back around 1964/1965 ( if we were Stateside ) coming home to NYC on a weekend pass from NC we would hit the middle of the Jersey Turnpike around 2200 or 2300 hrs on a Friday night....depending on the weather there was a point where we could start to pick up WABC on the car AM radio ....even though we were still in NJ hearing the Doo Wops was like being home already.

I spent 3 years driving the Jersey Tnpk. from Dover AFB and listened to Philly stations before I could pick up NY. NY came in around exit 13 and that's when I knew I was getting close to home. I usually dropped a few guys off at the PA bus terminal on Friday and picked them back up on Sunday night at 11 PM to drive back to Dover. Back then the trip cost $5 with tolls and gas and with 3 guys at $5 a piece I made a little money.

For all you Doo Wop fans out there, did you know that Cousin Brucie of 77 WABC Radio does a Roll & Roll Show every Saturday night from 6pm - 10 pm.

Yes Cousins, remember those nights listening to Cousin Brucie play your favorite hits on the radio.
He's back.

I think this will help.

By the way - Cousin Brucie just turned 88 years old on October 13th.
He was born in Brooklyn, NY on October 13, 1935

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COUSIN BRUCIE.

www.wabcmusicradio.com/podcast/cousin-brucies-saturday-night-rock-n-roll-party

Cousin's - just a reminder that tonight, Saturday October 21st, at 6 pm (NYC time) you can tune in to the Cousin Brucie "Saturday Night Rock & Roll Podcast" which runs until 10 pm.

Yes, 88 year old Cousin Brucie "still got what it takes" and he will take you back to those 77 WABC Days of Music From A Different Time.
Cousin Brucie tells us that there's No Political Discussions etc., just some Great Music and a Good Time.

"So let's go, go, go, for the Brucie Show".
"Come on a go, go, go, - With Cousin Brucie".

And Remember Cousin's - If you are unable to tune in at the time, you can later listen in by going to the link above.

Cousins, just a last minute notice.

You can tune in on your Ipad, Laptop, or cellphone by going to:

www.wabcradio.com - I believe the channel runs 24/7

After Cousin Brucie's Saturday Night Rock & Roll Party from 6-10 pm EST. I think Tony Orlando follows with his show.

We ALL remember one of Tony Orlando's most famous hits.
"Tie a yellow ribbon round the Ole Oat Tree" in 1973

Here is that song and the story behind it, as told by Tony Orlando

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BboHCig7RrQ

In 1960 our Family drove cross country to California. Went to Disneyland where you bought a book of tickets to go on the rides. Etickets got you the best rides, but not many of those. A,B,C and D got the lesser rides. But there was a Radio station in CA. that kept playing continuously Last Night by the Markeys. I now have come to totally hate that song because I still hear it my head.