The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

memorymaster

To our more senior members and Doo Wop fans, great news, these days, "OUR Music Lives On"

Seems some of the younger generation of today enjoys it as well

Back in 1963, Paul Anka (who I believe still does live shows), recorded this one called: "Diana"

Following in Paul Anka's footsteps is a very talented young man by the name of Chris Ruggiero who does his version of Paul Anka's hit song "Diana"
Chris Ruggiero also does other famous Paul Anka hits too.
Here is Chris and his group singing "Diana"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyoHCsCs2LI

How many of you remember the 1963 hit by "The Chiffon's" called; "He's So Fine"

Well we now have a young group who call themselves: "The Lovettes" singing that big hit from way back in 1963.
The "Lovettes" also do other famous Chiffon hits and songs too.
Here is The "Lovettes" singing "He's So Fine"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqijGmDM1cI
Willy, sorry, "Diana" 1957 not '63. It was first played on 1010 WINS By "Cousin" Bruce Morrow who had Paul and his dad in the studio. (WINS was a top 40 station until it went all news in 1965.)

mack

Administrator
We are mixing different music genres of the late 40s, 50s and 60s - but it's OK because very few of our members are familiar with R&B, soul music, pop ballads and what used to be called "doo wop music". There is much overlap to begin with and you really have to search for venues which still play these old oldies, sorry to say. I think doo wop would usually: "feature a tenor lead vocalist singing the melody of the song with a trio or quartet singing background harmony", be "characterized by simple syllables, beats, and lyrics", "feature both a cappella vocal harmonies and full swing-like beats throughout a song", and use "the off-beat to keep time". I had to look that up, but it's really music primarily from the 50s that - if you hear it, you will know it is "doo wop".

Paul Anka, by the way, is 80 years old now. He was born in Canada, became a US citizen in the 90s, had a very lengthy music and acting career, overcame COVID and wrote over 500 songs. In addition to hit songs which he recorded, he also wrote Frank Sinatra's "My Way" and Johnny Carson's Tonight Show theme song.

1642458267523.png

1642458314342.png

Last edited:

entropychaser

In regard to Ronnie Spector I know the Wikipedia states "she grew up on 151 St in Spanish (East) Harlem" but I would think it was 115 St not 151 St as it the East side does not go up to 151 St.
Don't let E53/L43 find out about 151st Sreet, They're gonna want the running card changed.

nfd2004

Willy, sorry, "Diana" 1957 not '63. It was first played on 1010 WINS By "Cousin" Bruce Morrow who had Paul and his dad in the studio. (WINS was a top 40 station until it went all news in 1965.)

Yes Charlie, you are correct
Paul Anka’s hit Diana was in 1957 not 1963

I guess I messed that up with the Chiffons One Fine Day

raybrag

We are mixing different music genres of the late 40s, 50s and 60s - but it's OK because very few of our members are familiar with R&B, soul music, pop ballads and what used to be called "doo wop music". There is much overlap to begin with and you really have to search for venues which still play these old oldies, sorry to say. I think doo wop would usually: "feature a tenor lead vocalist singing the melody of the song with a trio or quartet singing background harmony", be "characterized by simple syllables, beats, and lyrics", "feature both a cappella vocal harmonies and full swing-like beats throughout a song", and use "the off-beat to keep time". I had to look that up, but it's really music primarily from the 50s that - if you hear it, you will know it is "doo wop".
Others might disagree with me, but I think one more distinguishing feature of a Doo-Wop group is a really deep bass voice [think Bowser of Sha Na Na or Richard Sterban of the Oak Ridge Boys (Ooom Papa Mau Mau)]. Made the songs distinctive. Pardon the reference to the Oak Ridge Boys . . . Ooom Papa Mau Mau or no, they're DEFINITELY not a Doo-Wop group. ;)

nfd2004

Paul Anka, by the way, is 80 years old now. He was born in Canada, became a US citizen in the 90s, had a very lengthy music and acting career, overcame COVID and wrote over 500 songs. In addition to hit songs which he recorded, he also wrote Frank Sinatra's "My Way" and Johnny Carson's Tonight Show theme song.

View attachment 16305 View attachment 16306

These days a much younger generation is keeping songs like Paul Anka's, "Diana" Alive.

Here is Chris Ruggiero singing that hit song "Diana", which was first sung by a young Paul Anka on the Ed Sullivan Show way back in September, 1957.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyoHCsCs2LI

memorymaster

This definitely not Doo-Wop, however I thought I'd pass it on....C.W. McCall (William Fries) who recorded that great song "Convoy" and "Wolf Creek Pass" among others passed away on April 1st, 2022 at the age of 93. "Convoy" seemed to spark the C.B. Radio craze in the late 70's.

mack

Administrator
Always great to see Gman on our site. He is in sunny Florida - no longer on SI. Stay safe, Tom!

Tom - a man of many talents and a great FDNY buff and historian - has been a gifted guitar player.

12115454_10153445886701107_3775139549439629705_n.jpg

guitarman314

Robert Ridarelli (Bobby Rydell) at the age of 79. I liked his music and his last charted single "Forget Him" was the best in my opinion.
Good guy, I got to play behind him a couple of years ago as part of the house band at a concert in Amsterdam, NY. Other artists on that show were Jimmy Beaumont & the Skyliners, Shirley Alston-Reeves of the Shirelles, Frankie Lymon's Teenagers, and the Fleetwoods.

entropychaser

If you were looking for doo-wop records in the 1960's, you had to go to Manhattan and talk to "Slim" Rose at Times Square Records. Now, you have to go to Upper Darby, Pa. and talk to Val Shively of R & B Records. There are an estimated five million vinyl records there (reportedly, the Library of Congress may buy the joint). The place is a true dump and only he and his assistant of 45 years know where anything is. Still, collectors from all over the world fly into Philly to shop (No browsing allowed!).
Top dollar finds (five figures): "Can't Help Loving That Girl of Mine" by the Hide-A-Ways, "Rosemarie" by the 5 Chimes, and "Love Is a Vow" by the Mello-Harps from the 1950's Brooklyn.
Lastly, unless you want to be booted onto the sidewalk, don't say 'doo-wop'. 'Group harmony records' or 'group records' are the correct terms.