THEY SAVED NEW YORK

First time he put on his gear in over 30 years.

Retired FDNY firefighter Willy Knapp, Engine Company 82, the Bronx, The BIG House, one of the War Year legends, and a kind, decent and wonderful man.

His dad signed him up for military service right out of high school, and when he came out, he got him the application to join the FDNY. Little did he know he would be right at the center of the busiest fire duty firefighters have ever worked through.

From the upcoming book "They Saved New York" written by Dan Potter and photographed by Glenn Usdin.Willy Knapp.jpg

Dan, thank you very much.

I as well as many others will be looking forward to getting our own copy

Do you have any idea of a release date and how we can purchase one

As we all know, the book titled “Into the Smoke” by Mike Dick and retired FDNY Lt Barry has been a best seller. In fact their book went into a second printing

Just a guess here, I see the same kind of interest in your upcoming book

All the Best Dan and Thank You for the time you put into making this

P.S - Dan, would you consider any commissions paid if I can spread the word for additional purchases ?
Always looking to make that extra buck you know...... ! ! !

Uncle Wilfred

Dan, thank you very much.

I as well as many others will be looking forward to getting our own copy

Do you have any idea of a release date and how we can purchase one

As we all know, the book titled “Into the Smoke” by Mike Dick and retired FDNY Lt Barry has been a best seller. In fact their book went into a second printing

Just a guess here, I see the same kind of interest in your upcoming book

All the Best Dan and Thank You for the time you put into making this

P.S - Dan, would you consider any commissions paid if I can spread the word for additional purchases ?
Always looking to make that extra buck you know...... ! ! !

Uncle Wilfred
The intended date is spring of 2002. I am not accepting one penny for this honored contribution, my proceeds will go to the Joey D foundation. Our target is sixty interviews with snaps, from legends of the War Years to today's legend's of the Glory Days and after 9/11. Some fascinating stories I have heard so far, this book is one of a kind, you'll see some very familiar and intersting subjects with their unique backgrounds and made them who they are, you'll laugh and be humbled. I am so proud to a part of this project. I'm tremendously happy to share this with you on this site!

Dan, You make this man smile! Thank you so much for putting your talent to work so we may all relive the war years. You the man my friend!

mack

Administrator
Dan I admire and appreciate the work you are doing. It is so important to record and to save the stories and lives of these legends who dedicated their lives to saving others.

Thank you - I know you will do a great job.

There should also be your story in the book. You saved New York, too, as did many members on this site! It should be a big book.

Thank you my friends, I've compiled many interviews so far, targeting 60. Each person has a remarkable story to share, and not necessarily fire story, but other aspects and thoughts. Every person has been eager to share that makes this all rewarding. You will recognize many names from the War Years to after 9/11. And the photos that Glenn has shot are engrossing. Thanks for your support, and probably explains why I have been unable to attend events or adding more to the site. Most of my time now is pecking at my laptop. More to come!

Thank you Dan, aka Mr Gage, YES, We ALL Miss You.

Your own personnel stories here in "Glory Days" in the History Section, has been OUTSTANDING. For the newer members here, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED reading. It tells of your first days of being an Boy Scout and riding with your uncle at the very busy Engine 82/Ladder 31.

Also during that time, becoming a member of a volunteer fire company in Long Island. Then also working in the very busy, then called "NYC-EMS", before the merger into the FDNY.
As you talked about those days back in the NYC-EMS, you often referred to them as "The Gory Days". And after reading some of your stories, "we can understand why". During that time, you worked with and shared stories with another great guy here, Garrett Lundgren, aka "69METS", who also later became a member of the FDNY working some of NYCs Busiest Fire Companies.

Let me also add that BOTH Dan and Garrett have been guest speakers in the very famous and popular Pod Cast known as "Gettin Salty".

As we also learned in Glory Days, after NYC-EMS, Dan became a firefighter in the very busy Washington, DC and spent Three Years there before becoming a member of the FDNY.
As a firefighter in Washington, D.C., Dan made a very heroic rescue of a civilian. Although he RIGHTFULLY Deserved Recognition from the DCFD for that Rescue, he NEVER GOT IT.

But Dan's wish was to be a member of the FDNY. After successfully passing all of the test he got on the job, where he worked the very busy Ladder 112, Ladder 10 (?) and Engine 88/Ladder 38, where Dan tells us about his captain, the late FDNY Captain, nicknamed "Tough Tony".
Later he worked Ladder 5 and ended his firefighting career at Ladder 31, where he was first introduced to the FDNY by his uncle.

It was during Dan's Ladder 5 Days that I got to meet Dan at the "Rock". He was the Ladder 5 chauffeur of the rig.
I asked Dan to park it just right for that Ladder 5 - fire apparatus photo collector's shot which he did and I have been forever THANKFUL to him for doing that.
Several years go by (maybe 20 plus) and Dan and I reunite.

During 911 when the World Trade Towers were attacked, Dan's wife was working on the upper floors of one of those towers. When the Towers came down, both thought that they would never see each other again.
But "By the Grace of God", they BOTH survived and reunited together safely at a NYC Firehouse, I believe it was Eng33/Lad 9 (?).

Later Dan's wife also wrote a book tiled "By the Grace of God", which I've read and it tells of their amazing story of survival.

For a few of us here, Dan has invited us to join him in the Bronx for a little get together.
We've also shared some great stories and chow among us, including many members from this site at one of my favorite eating establishments just outside NYC.
The Good Lord Willing, "we can all do it again" once you (Dan) are finished with your book, "THEY SAVED NEW YORK".

We ALL LOOK FORWARD to reading it as well.
Just give us the word when it's ready for purchase.

Dan, we ALL THANK YOU and certainly RESPECT YOU for What YOU have done.

First time he put on his gear in over 30 years.

Retired FDNY firefighter Willy Knapp, Engine Company 82, the Bronx, The BIG House, one of the War Year legends, and a kind, decent and wonderful man.

His dad signed him up for military service right out of high school, and when he came out, he got him the application to join the FDNY. Little did he know he would be right at the center of the busiest fire duty firefighters have ever worked through.

From the upcoming book "They Saved New York" written by Dan Potter and photographed by Glenn Usdin.View attachment 15207

https://pic.twitter.com/0ttwnrjbQd

Dan I admire and appreciate the work you are doing. It is so important to record and to save the stories and lives of these legends who dedicated their lives to saving others.

Thank you - I know you will do a great job.

There should also be your story in the book. You saved New York, too, as did many members on this site! It should be a big book.
Definitely Joe

Dan congratulations on the upcoming book. I look forward to ordering a copy once its out and the Joey D Foundation is an excellent foundation to support

Well done again

Hi Willy, I think that is a very generous offer and I'm sure Chief DiBernardo would be very appreciative. The Joey D foundation just held a very successful and well attended seminar this past weekend on Long Island. Many well known instructors and guest speakers donate their time and pass along very valuable life saving information. Every cent donated goes to grants that help save firefighters lives. Thanks Willy and I'll be happy to connect you with Chief D when the book gets closer to being released. God Bless.
Best, JohnnyGage/ Dan

Retired FDNY Deputy Chief Joe Curry.
Strength. Determination. Courage.
Chief Curry was photographed in one of the many iconic photos after 9/11. (NOT my image from 9/11)
From the upcoming book, "They Saved New York" written by Dan Potter and photographed by Glenn Usdin. Pre-sales of the book will be available shortly.

Hello my friends; This has been an exciting and unbelievable project Glenn, Tina and I are working on. The names of those we have reached out to are classic legends of the job. The great snaps by Glenn and intriquing stories told to me by them have been beyond astonishing!

JOE C2.jpg

Photography note: Shot on BW Delta 400 Ilford film with the Contax 645 camera and 140mm Zeiss lens. Film still rocks!

JOE C.jpg

Dan, Thank you for the preview photos of your upcoming book.

I plan to keep my promise of anybody who orders this book, that I will donate $10.00 per order, up to $1,000.00 to the "Joey D Foundation".

The Firefighters of the FDNY that "Saved New York" during their busiest years of very Heavy Fire Activity Were Always Good To Me.
And so have you, Dan.
So it's the least I can do to say "THANK YOU To All Of You".

I will be talking to the boss of this site, Retired Capt John Bendick, very soon to see how a code can be established that would make the donations possible.

You are an awesome person Willy. So Dan, I will match Willy with $ 1,000 myself also.
TK

Tom, that is great

Lt Q,,
I hope that you are one of the featured members in that book

Being a part of FDNY Probie Class - Sept, 1968, I’m sure you have a few stories to tell yourself

what some of these guys might not know is that you were a Lt in the busy Bushwick Ladder 112 and worked with Mr Gage when he was assigned there

Okay, no more secrets. That’s it. Time for Mr Willy to zip it up

NFD2004 is now 10-9

Last edited: