THEY SAVED NEW YORK

Hello my friends, Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year, here is a quick book update. So far I've completed 40 interviews of the most dynamic characters of the FDNY. Last week I got the inside scoop on the origin of hazmat, a first person hair raising account of the Black Sunday fire, tidbits from a revered senior man and long time Harlem ladder chauffeur, insightful stories from a long time senior lieutenant in one of the most renowned Brooklyn truck companies. I'm doing 10 more interviews by the end of this month. Glenns intriguing photos continue to amaze me, you could see through the subjects eyes into their souls, I'll keep you posted!

mack

Administrator
Hello my friends, Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year, here is a quick book update. So far I've completed 40 interviews of the most dynamic characters of the FDNY. Last week I got the inside scoop on the origin of hazmat, a first person hair raising account of the Black Sunday fire, tidbits from a revered senior man and long time Harlem ladder chauffeur, insightful stories from a long time senior lieutenant in one of the most renowned Brooklyn truck companies. I'm doing 10 more interviews by the end of this month. Glenns intriguing photos continue to amaze me, you could see through the subjects eyes into their souls, I'll keep you posted!
Thanks Dan. We appreciate all you do and admire your work. This book will be not only be interesting, it will also be a fitting tribute to the heroes you are interviewing and the members who served with them. It is more than biographical accounts, it is a history of significant events, fires, tragedies and innovations from those who were there and those who made it happen. Lest we forget. Your terrific writing style, read over the years in WNYF, NYC Firenet and other sites, will also ensure the narratives in the book are accurate, humorous, touching and totally enjoyable to read.

Thanks again, Dan!

Hi Dan,
Best of continued luck with your outstanding venture. Anticipate a great read when it is done. Happy New Year.
Thanks

Thanks for adding the update Willy. Yes we are getting close to wrapping up the interviews and photos. Last week, I visited the fire academy and interviewed the Chief of Training Frank Leeb and Chief Ray Downeys son Deputy Chuck Downey. Both were extremely friendly, helpful and kind. Magnificent men in the highest order. Chief Leeb was the IC for the horrible Bronx fire back in January where 17 were killed. I can't say enough about the fine outstanding brothers and their staff, I was furnished with an office to interview and invited to stay for lunch.

While I was there, I met two old friends. The first was Lenny. Lenny and I were firefighters in Manhattan while I was at L 5, he was at L 8 at the time and eventually became the 2nd Batt Chiefs Aide, we studied for the upcoming Lt exam together for a little bit. When I went on vacation, Lenny painted my locker fire engine red, it looked like the quality paint job you'd find on the rig. All the other lockers were black. Lenny is now a Batt Chief!

Then I popped over to the Mann library next door that was always on my bucket list to visit. There were two older gentlemen sitting at different tables doing project work. I was speaking with Dan Maye who runs the library. His dad was the union leader back during the War Years with L 31, Dan is a fire marshal and we were comparing notes. When I mentioned the companies I worked in, specifically L 112, the one guy at the table lifted his head. He said "are you THE Dan Potter from Ladder 112", I then recognized him as Eric the buff, who used to ride with us back in my Bushwick days as a kid and is now a retired correction officer, but still a buff at heart. Small world, right?

Yesterday, May 12, I got to reconnect with Bob Farrell from 50 years ago when I was riding with him in the front seat of L 31's tiller rig. We had a great time tripping down memory lane, and he with loads of funny stories. Bob is the owner of Hooks Unlimited in Wall Township, NJ. near Long Branch. I interviewed him at the factory, I have ever seen so many fire tools in my life, from crates of fire axes, hooks, halligans and much more. Then Glenn (The photographer) and I shot over to Jack Calderones home. He has a beautiful house in NJ on the side of a mountain, 400 ft above sea level and you can see NYC and miles and miles overlooking various cities and landscape, the sight was spectacular. Glenn took Jack's photos (Jack retired from SI, Batt 22) in his room with his collection of over 2,000 fire truck model replicas in about 8 floor to ceiling glass cases, very impressive.

So yes, hope to wrap up soon, total interviews so far, 73, most likely end up with about 83ish. I'll be doing a handfull of interviews the next few weeks of some others including John Norman, Paul Hashagen and our friend Pete Hayden.

Best to all, JohnnyGage.
Snapshot, with L 31 Captain Bob Farrell

BobF.jpg

Last edited:
Dan what a small world, running into Eric. It’s probably 25 years since I saw him last

Dan what a small world, running into Eric. It’s probably 25 years since I saw him last
TK, It was like back to the future, he's a little hunched over and has gray hair. We swapped a few stories, I had him laughing.

We have an update on the release of the book; "They Saved New York", written by Dan Potter, aka "johnny gage".

Dan is putting the final touches on the book.

He has interviewed a total of 87 members of the very busy FDNY War Years, with each individual member telling their own story of a decade or so of the heaviest years of fire activity in the history of the FDNY

Dan hopes to have his book ready by Fathers Day, June 19th.

I know that I am looking forward to it's release as I remember being a buff at one fire, and the place being so busy you could see the smoke from other fires going on sometimes within just a few blocks.

Whether it was the South Bronx, Harlem, Washington Heights, The Lower East Side, Bushwick, Bed Sty, Williamsburg, Brownsville/East New York, "everybody was working".

I don't think (and I hope not) we will ever see a time like that again.

So, what these 87 FDNY War Years Firefighters have to say, is their own individual story, that will go down in the history of the FDNY's Busiest Years of Fire Activity.

Thank you Dan for keeping us updated and certainly for taking the time to interview these firefighters to preserve their historic stories.

Note - I would also like to mention another GREAT BOOK recently released by our site member Mike Dick aka "mikeindabronx", and Retired FDNY Lt Tom Barry called: "Into the Smoke with New York's Bravest". Another great recording of those very busy FDNY War Years Members.
Thank You Mike and Lt Barry

I would like to see a book with the title of "Why Did They Let It Happen." I came on the job in 1960. We were assigned to a company that day as the Proby School was still in session with a class. I was assigned to L19. Rode with 19 for about 3 weeks before beginning school. The streets in 19's response area were crowded with people, all the buildings were intact. Ten years later I was a new Lt. assigned to E50. I was promoted to Captain in 1973 and assigned to E82. The change in 19's/50's response area was startling. It went from the crowed streets of 1960 back to Berlin of 1945. Busy box was 2743, Charlotte and 170. I'm sure that Lexington Ave. and 70th street in Manhattan was still the same. structural wise. Why Did They Let It Happen? Thousands of people were forced from their homes, firefighters suffered with injuries that would shorten their retirement years.

Perhaps they could find out who benefitted from the change? The vacant buildings/land was eventually owned by the city. Who bought the buildings/land from the city at a song of a price? Who built the garden type homes, sold them? In other words who suffered, who didn't?

We have an update on the release of the book; "They Saved New York", written by Dan Potter, aka "johnny gage".

Dan is putting the final touches on the book.

He has interviewed a total of 87 members of the very busy FDNY War Years, with each individual member telling their own story of a decade or so of the heaviest years of fire activity in the history of the FDNY

Dan hopes to have his book ready by Fathers Day, June 19th.

I know that I am looking forward to it's release as I remember being a buff at one fire, and the place being so busy you could see the smoke from other fires going on sometimes within just a few blocks.

Whether it was the South Bronx, Harlem, Washington Heights, The Lower East Side, Bushwick, Bed Sty, Williamsburg, Brownsville/East New York, "everybody was working".

I don't think (and I hope not) we will ever see a time like that again.

So, what these 87 FDNY War Years Firefighters have to say, is their own individual story, that will go down in the history of the FDNY's Busiest Years of Fire Activity.

Thank you Dan for keeping us updated and certainly for taking the time to interview these firefighters to preserve their historic stories.

Note - I would also like to mention another GREAT BOOK recently released by our site member Mike Dick aka "mikeindabronx", and Retired FDNY Lt Tom Barry called: "Into the Smoke with New York's Bravest". Another great recording of those very busy FDNY War Years Members.
Thank You Mike and Lt Barry
Hi folks, small correction, we hope the book will be ready by the end of the summer, I'm hoping to complete my part of downloading the interviews and creating a story for the editor to review by Fathers Day. Stay tuned....

Hello my friends, I am happy to report that all interviews for the upcoming book, "They Saved New York" are complete and now being edited. I have interviewed 90 candidates from War Year vets, vets after the war years, Company officers and Chiefs responsible for rebuilding their company and FDNY after 9/11, first person accounts from NY Telephone Co fire, Frauces Tavern bombing, Watts Street, Father's Day, Black Sunday, Happy land, downtown terrorist attack, etc. I've got the scoop on the news helicopter crash into the Hudson and another incredible dive rescue seldom talked about. I''ve had the pleasure of speaking to numerous chiefs that improved SOC, the training academy and organized Hazmat. In addition, I've interviewed a couple of new generation members who have convinced me will carry the legacy of the FDNY forward.

The last interview was with BC Joe Pfeifer this past Thursday, the first Chief on scene at the WTC and his phenomenal accomplishments after 9/11, it was an unbelievable interview and a spectacular end to an exciting 13 month project. Glenn Usdin, former assistant editor with Fire Engineering Magazine and professional photographer has taken some of the most crazy outstanding photos of our subjects that go beyond remarkable. Glenn is also the project manager, the book will be available in the fall.

Thanks to my firends who followed this journey. Happy to share a snapshot of me with Glenn.
Best, JohnnyGage KMG-365

danGlenn1.jpeg

mack

Administrator
Dan. Congratulations for completing a terrific challenge with so many individuals who have done so much. All heroes. I know how this project has grown and how long you have worked on it. There is still a lot to do but we are all glad you have completed the first and most difficult step - interviewing everyone where they live. You book will be great.

Thank you Dan and Glenn. I know there are many guys looking forward to your upcoming book.

I know it's been a very long process in the making and I certainly wish you ALL THE BEST.

When the book comes out, just let us know, along with where we can purchase it and I will certainly pass the word around.

mack

Administrator
Hello my friends, I am happy to report that all interviews for the upcoming book, "They Saved New York" are complete and now being edited. I have interviewed 90 candidates from War Year vets, vets after the war years, Company officers and Chiefs responsible for rebuilding their company and FDNY after 9/11, first person accounts from NY Telephone Co fire, Frauces Tavern bombing, Watts Street, Father's Day, Black Sunday, Happy land, downtown terrorist attack, etc. I've got the scoop on the news helicopter crash into the Hudson and another incredible dive rescue seldom talked about. I''ve had the pleasure of speaking to numerous chiefs that improved SOC, the training academy and organized Hazmat. In addition, I've interviewed a couple of new generation members who have convinced me will carry the legacy of the FDNY forward.

The last interview was with BC Joe Pfeifer this past Thursday, the first Chief on scene at the WTC and his phenomenal accomplishments after 9/11, it was an unbelievable interview and a spectacular end to an exciting 13 month project. Glenn Usdin, former assistant editor with Fire Engineering Magazine and professional photographer has taken some of the most crazy outstanding photos of our subjects that go beyond remarkable. Glenn is also the project manager, the book will be available in the fall.

Thanks to my firends who followed this journey. Happy to share a snapshot of me with Glenn.
Best, JohnnyGage KMG-365

View attachment 22949

Dan's last interview - AC (RET) Joe Pfeifer

1658684807769.png

Lieutenant Tom Simmons;
Guess how many times I wore a mask?
He grinned, held up his hand, and said, "Maybe 5!"
91 years old today. 91!
Got on the FDNY job in 1957 after serving in the Marines, retired in 1983 as a Lieutenant of Engine Company 82 in the Bronx, and then went BACK to the Marines and served our country for ANOTHER 20 years.
When they talk about the greatest generation, they are talking about Tom Simmons.
Still smiling, still getting around, not at all different from the days when 82 Engine fought as many fires as any fire company ever did in the War Years in the South Bronx.
No masks, no fancy radios, no complicated command systems, a crew of dog tired firemen going from job to job and then going home and doing at again the next day.
They Saved New York.
From the upcoming book written by Dan Potter and photos by Glenn Usdin. Happy Birthday Tom, fire officer, soldier, patriot and great man.
1661100905281.png