VINTAGE FDNY WAR YEAR LIDS

THIS IS A QUIZ FOR SHARPSHOOTERS; This frontpiece listed for sale on e-bay from FDNY E 10. What makes this piece bogus?
Screenshot_2020-11-18-07-35-49-1.png

THIS IS A QUIZ FOR SHARPSHOOTERS; This frontpiece listed for sale on e-bay from FDNY E 10. What makes this piece bogus?
View attachment 9972

Mr Gage, looking at that photo shouldn't the numbers ("1" and "0") ONLY be in black and the rest of the front piece be all white.

Also I don't think the officers of companies have badge numbers on the bottom.

Johnny, I'm NOT betting on my response to be correct, but if it is "I'm more of a SHARPSHOOTER than a few others here might think". Just spread the word for me ok.

Uncle Wilfred

It looks like it may be a covering company officer's frontpiece.
It lacks the rank of the officer, either "CAPTAIN" or "LIEUTENANT".
It has a badge number which should not be there.
If it is a covering officer's frontpiece, it should not have the engine lieutenant heraldic device.

old frontpiece.jpgfrontpiece 2.jpg
In early 60's the Lieutenant of an engine company did have a black insert with white lettering, the company Captain had a white insert with black lettering. But that was it, no badge number of rank decal. Also, for a period, the inserts were "screwed" into the frontpiece with a small panhead type screw. Photo 2 is the current Lieutenant frontpiece with the addred rocker panel with rank. Good call Gents! Nothing gets by you Mr. Willy!

Actually, "I DID Get a Little Help".

I looked at the Herb Essyers helmet collection in reply # 454 (above).

Because of that, I MUST Forfeit my claim to the winner of the "FDNY Vintage War Years Lid - Sharpshooters Quiz Contest" and disqualify myself.

The winning title must therefore go to "t123ken" for his response to that sharpshooters quiz question.

Congratulations "t123ken" and Johnny, I'm sorry I let you down. It won't happen again.

mack

Administrator
Here is another FDNY-style frontpiece - with the same "217" badge number.

1605817448919.png

Last edited:
These three frontpieces have not been worn and are a collectors item. I saw one frontpiece that sold for a few hundred dollars to someone oversas. Must be a market, even though they were replicas.
fp1.pngfp2.pngfp3.png
These seem to have seen action:
fp4.pngfp5.pngfp7.pngfp8.png

What a collection !!!

Even a very special one for Johnny Gage

see: Row 9, center of page.