4/6/21 Queens 8th Alarm Box 7864

Obviously Commissioner Nigro was at the scene but Car 1 is not on the rundown. Does car 1 generally report to dispatch that they are responding and when they are 10-84?

Some figures for Boston manning but not 100% positive on the staffing of 1524. Running 33 engines and 22 aerials, all rear-mounts, 2 rescues and 2 platforms. Back in the early 80's BFD had 43 engines and 28 ladders, all TDA's, 2 platforms and 2 rescues. Then came Prop 2 1/2!

Ray I am curious of how many of those cars are still in service I'm sure 100-102 are no more lol

But a good list not sure if I have ever seen that one.
It's a pretty old list, Brad (last updated in 2004), and the site it's from is not very active, especially recently. So I'm sure it's not completely current. After all, Pete Hayden was COD when it was last updated.

It's a pretty old list, Brad (last updated in 2004), and the site it's from is not very active, especially recently. So I'm sure it's not completely current. After all, Pete Hayden was COD when it was last updated.
Still a good read

Video with Fireground audio by “City Streets”.
Video starts during 1st alarm (fire in the cockloft at 6:00 min followed by 2nd alarm).
Also note member starting 6 story climb up L136 aerial with full gear and saw. Can’t admire those guys enough!
Nice shot of 3 buckets close to each other hitting the roof at 44 min.

Last edited:
Fireground compressed audio produced by ‘Fireground Audio Archive - a 911 ERV Channel’
Starts with Queens dispatch then switches to Fireground after the All-Hands.

( FDNY BOX 7864 - QUEENS ) - VIDEO 7 HOURS LATER WHERE THE FDNY WAS STILL BATTLING A MAJOR 8TH ALARM FIRE IN A MULTIPLE DWELLING ON 34TH AVENUE IN THE JACKSON HEIGHTS AREA OF QUEENS IN NEW YORK CITY.

Obviously Commissioner Nigro was at the scene but Car 1 is not on the rundown. Does car 1 generally report to dispatch that they are responding and when they are 10-84?
Not Always....Though I assume FDOC is Notified via MDT or Phone

Do you think that many have that many firefighters on duty at one time? I'm betting it's considerably less than that. I was thinking that Atlanta would have that many but their total staffing is only about 1200., Miami is only 2700, Boston 1500, Dallas 2000...

The only departments I found with staffing over 3000 members doing a quick search were; Houston 4000, LA 3300 & Chicago 5200. I'm sure there are others that I missed but these are the only ones I found doing a quick search.
In addition to Houston, LA, and Chicago there is LA County. Note that some of those departments work three shifts, others four shifts. No department staffs units with as many people and many more units would need to be present to equal the number of FDNY firefighters. No other department can respond as many chief officers or staff. No other municipal department covers five counties. (CALFire is a state agency and USFS is federal.)

Bulldog

Bulldog
In addition to Houston, LA, and Chicago there is LA County. Note that some of those departments work three shifts, others four shifts. No department staffs units with as many people and many more units would need to be present to equal the number of FDNY firefighters. No other department can respond as many chief officers or staff. No other municipal department covers five counties. (CALFire is a state agency and USFS is federal.)
I just looked up LA County and according to Wikipedia they have about 2800 employees. They work 3 shifts so at any given time they have about 900 firefighters on duty.

Also, I'm not sure if having so many chief officers and staff available to respond if necessarily a good thing in many cases.

I was wondering if having 34th ave closed to traffic with barricades across 20 plus streets and all the traffic on the surrounding avenues caused a delay in response to the scene. I've been stuck in many traffic jams around the area since the city made 34th avenue part of the Open Streets program permanent.

I just looked up LA County and according to Wikipedia they have about 2800 employees. They work 3 shifts so at any given time they have about 900 firefighters on duty.

Also, I'm not sure if having so many chief officers and staff available to respond if necessarily a good thing in many cases.
I also believe that most of the departments listed only ride with 4 firefighters on a truck, including the chauffer and officer.