Bids for next round of Engines ( Info from Redlight)

FDNY - Bidding for new pumper contract
? on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:49 PM ?
The bidding procedure for a new Three Year Requirement Contract order to build 2000 gpm pumpers for the FDNY, took place on Wednesday, February 22d. The total for the three year contract will be for 91 pumpers - 38 for the first year, 48 for the second year and 5 for the third year. The three firms bidding, in ascending order of price were KME, Ferrara and Seagrave. It will probably be a few weeks, while specification exceptions and other factors are examined, before a contract is actually awarded. A major part of the actual contract is the five year warranty required by FDNY. When this order is completed, FDNY will be able to replace all of their remaining 2002, 2003 and 2004 regular Seagrave 1000 gpm pumpers still in first line service. Previous contracts have been awarded recently to Seagrave for the building of seven 2000 gpm high-pressure pumpers and seven 1000 gpm rescue-pumpers (Squads)

Bulldog

Bulldog
KME?  Have they ever bid on a FDNY contract in the past?  Was Seagrave the lowest bidder on the last contract or were they chosen as being the best bidder?

Stay away from KME, The ultimate in garbage. Went through a period of using them in the early to mid 90's. Extremely prone to total pump and engine failure.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I would take a guess and say size. 1000gpm should give a little more room. 
Also they won't be able. To carry all that hard suction

tbendick said:
I would take a guess and say size. 1000gpm should give a little more room. 
Also they won't be able. To carry all that hard suction

I never paid that a thought, but it makes sense.

Philadelphia got 20 KME pumpers in 1995 and 8 more in 1996 off of a very well written spec.  After going with American LaFrance for pumpers for 5 to 10 years, they went back to KME for 4 pumpers in 2009 and delivery is currently underway on an order of 21 pumpers, 2 of which will be equipped with Snozzle elevated stream devices.  My youngest sons company, Pipeline 5, in West Philly near the University of Pennsylvania, has had the same KME since it was delivered in 1995 and are now going to get a new one.  They always run over 3,000 runs a year and the rig has weathered the storm.  Both L A City and L A County run KMEs with the county running a lot of them.  KME could easily be # 2 in the fire apparatus industry now behind Pierce.  The FDNY Five Year Warranty is challenging for any apparatus builder. 

LAcoFD has companies in South Central
LA running around 5,000 calls a year on average
year in year out, as well as E33 in the city
of Lancaster that runs close to 6000 runs
a year, all in KME 'Severe Service' series engines.

Boston FD has now turned KME.

I would have thought the 5 year warrenty
would have been mentioned in the tender stage,
therefore KME must have put the bid in withe
that knowledge. Been the lowest bidder, does
that mean the city will go with them??

My money would be on Seagrave however, the
Sheer maintenance logistics behind running
an almost 50/50 split of engines from a 2 different
manufacturers i imagine would be a nightmare.

Im probably wrong however!! I usually am!!

JT

Rodent251 said:
LAcoFD has companies in South Central
LA running around 5,000 calls a year on average
year in year out, as well as E33 in the city
of Lancaster that runs close to 6000 runs
a year, all in KME 'Severe Service' series engines.

Boston FD has now turned KME.

I would have thought the 5 year warrenty
would have been mentioned in the tender stage,
therefore KME must have put the bid in withe
that knowledge. Been the lowest bidder, does
that mean the city will go with them??

My money would be on Seagrave however, the
Sheer maintenance logistics behind running
an almost 50/50 split of engines from a 2 different
manufacturers i imagine would be a nightmare.

Im probably wrong however!! I usually am!!

JT

I'd like to talk to the shops director for LAFD and find out how bad the nightmare is to have a split Seagrave/Pierce/KME department.

Rodent, you are correct with the run volume. However Task Force 33 is in South Central but within the LA city FD. I rode with them in the late 90's and they were using a Seagrave at the time. I think they replaced that rig with a new Pierce which was part of the large split order of Pierce and KME.

LA City uses a committee to develop the specs for any equipment and it is an extensive process. Interesting enough the chief of the battalion for Engine 33 is now the Chief of Detroit. Donald Austin.

CFDMarshal said:
Rodent, you are correct with the run volume. However Task Force 33 is in South Central but within the LA city FD. I rode with them in the late 90's and they were using a Seagrave at the time. I think they replaced that rig with a new Pierce which was part of the large split order of Pierce and KME.

LA City uses a committee to develop the specs for any equipment and it is an extensive process. Interesting enough the chief of the battalion for Engine 33 is now the Chief of Detroit. Donald Austin.
CFD marshall, as regards fire station 33 i was
Refering to LAcoFD Station 33 up in Lancaster

Is the city obliged to go with the lowest bidder?

JT

Pittsburgh has 8 KME Pumpers in service one of which is in my house. About 2 years now and no major problems. We also have 4 TOYNE Pumpers that are assigned to 4 very busy Engine companies and they have held up well but im going to be with Saegrave for the FDNT.

JT,

I had a little tunnel vision, you are correct! I just remember walking in the station, shaking the Captains hand and promptly getting on the engine for a structure fire. Guess that is why they call it Fire City!

Info picked up from another site, it appears KME has designed a split tilt cab specifically to meet FDNYs requirements, and has approached its parts suppliers to secure five year warrenties.

JT

Kme would never last in the Fdny, Kme stands for k- mart engineering. It wont last

Rodent251 said:
Is the city obliged to go with the lowest bidder?

JT

Only if that low bidder meets the spec.  I don't know why KME would bid, but they'll have to be willing to make some serious changes in terms of chassis development.  Fact is, our rigs are much smaller than what's out there in newer cities and suburban areas.  Seagrave and Ferrara have a cab/chassis that is ready to meet our specs.