COVID-19

It?s sad to put on the radio Saturday  and hear ?engine..10-99 CPR in progress.?  Followed by 2 seconds later, ? engine.. to Queens , our EMS box, 10-37 code 1 , out for decon? Next it?s ?engine ... be advised use universal precautions, fever, cough. ? Then a free minutes later- the same engine 10-99 CPR ...

Hope you all are doing okay. God bless

As many on here know I'm a huge fan of NYC and have some great friends in the City both on and off the Dept. I've the upmost respect for all those who have worked for and continue to work for the city

Something over the last few days worries me very much tho from viewing social media. Its to do with Cos turning up at hospitals to show their support for the frontline doctors and nurses.

It is a fabulous gesture. I cannot begin to even understand what NYC hospitals are like now and what those working in them have to put up with

But is battalions of FF's and Cops turning up on mass to clap those who then come out and not observe the social distancing the right way to go about defeating this virus

I've seen photos tonight of people standing next to each other with their cells out videoing FF's. Hospital staff coming out to the front doors in PPE. The other day I saw a group of EMS members pose in front of an Ambulance.

I think it's very worrying. Community transmission is the fastest spreader of this virus which is why social distancing is in play now

In Ireland we have been under general lockdown coming up to 2 wks now. We were told it would end this Sunday. It's looking very likely that the lockdown will be extended beyond Easter. Altho the number of deaths is rising our projected "curve" here is beganing to level out but we are still not out of the woods

As I said the gesture is great and I'm know it means well. But I think it's counterproductive. Interested in peoples thoughts...

IRISH said:
As many on here know I'm a huge fan of NYC and have some great friends in the City both on and off the Dept. I've the upmost respect for all those who have worked for and continue to work for the city

Something over the last few days worries me very much tho from viewing social media. Its to do with Cos turning up at hospitals to show their support for the frontline doctors and nurses.

It is a fabulous gesture. I cannot begin to even understand what NYC hospitals are like now and what those working in them have to put up with

But is battalions of FF's and Cops turning up on mass to clap those who then come out and not observe the social distancing the right way to go about defeating this virus

I've seen photos tonight of people standing next to each other with their cells out videoing FF's. Hospital staff coming out to the front doors in PPE. The other day I saw a group of EMS members pose in front of an Ambulance.

I think it's very worrying. Community transmission is the fastest spreader of this virus which is why social distancing is in play now

In Ireland we have been under general lockdown coming up to 2 wks now. We were told it would end this Sunday. It's looking very likely that the lockdown will be extended beyond Easter. Altho the number of deaths is rising our projected "curve" here is beganing to level out but we are still not out of the woods

As I said the gesture is great and I'm know it means well. But I think it's counterproductive. Interested in peoples thoughts...

I see your point but as someone on the insides of those hospital walls, it is a meaningful and powerful gesture that brightens the day.

Hospital workers are all in masks (lot have N95s on underneath) thus limiting spread on our end. For the fire crews I have noticed in some videos the first responders keeping space amongst each other and other videos where the companies just stick together and don?t intermingle. I?m starting to think we have way more asymptomatic carriers than we first thought and an antibody rest will confirm this.

CVILLE 7111 said:

Thanks CVILLE, It Is a Great Read.

The Link didn't work so I had to cut & paste; well worth it.

See if this is any better:  https://www.propublica.org/article/dead-on-arrival-a-ny-fire-chiefs-covid-journal

There's also this - I didn't think Gov. Cuomo's Numbers reflected what we've all been hearing:

https://thechiefleader.com/news/news_of_the_week/ems-unions-states-death-plateau-from-virus-may-be-a-mirage/article_16ee610e-790d-11ea-aacc-3bd5632b0fda.html
  P.S.; Does anyone else Remember the Ketchup Label on 5-7's Apparatus Floor ?  ;)

IRISH said:

Declan, aka "Irish", like "Len90", I can certainly understand your very valid point and concern. I also think that "Len90" answered your concern quit well.

For those who don't know, Declan is NOT just the average guy "on the outside looking in" telling NYCs heroes how wrong they are. He is a very well respected individual by many members of the FDNY. He lives on the other side of the world but always signs up to complete the "Tunnel to Towers" fundraiser.

I certainly respect his concern

I would also like to THANK "CVILLE 7111" for his most recent contribution here of "Dead on Arrival" and "STAjo" for providing that updated link.

I am also going to ask Brad, aka "signal73" for another favor in posting a photo here for me.

My sister-in-law Chris is an RN Supervising Nurse in Bridgeport (Ct) Hospitals ICU. This hospital has been hit pretty hard in dealing with the COVID19 patients. Chris, like thousands of other nurses here in this country have been saving lives on a daily basis. But now has also put their own lives, as well as their family members lives at risk.

In her case, she can no longer take her elderly mother shopping or for her regular doctors appointments due to her job and exposure COVID19. Instead her husband has taken over that job.

But with todays technology using facetime, when her husband goes to her house, he lets Chris talk to her 88 year old mother and her Mom Loves It. 

Signal73 said:
Here?s the pic Willy asked me to post

Thanks Brad.

As I'm sure everyone can understand here: "I am very PROUD of Chris" and she has ALWAYS expressed to me, her appreciation for the job that Firefighters do. Chris is the nurse standing on the right.

In addition to Thanking Brad for posting this photo for me, Brad's wife is also on the frontlines of this battle. She works in the E.R. of Yale New Haven Hospital. Yale has ALWAYS BEEN the busiest hospital in the entire State of Ct.

Both Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, Ct and Yale New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Ct always the busiest and certainly during these days of COVID-19. 

Just heard BFD call "Battalion 71 and Battalion 72."  Anyone have further info?  Thanks!

Len90 said:
IRISH said:

I see your point but as someone on the insides of those hospital walls, it is a meaningful and powerful gesture that brightens the day.

Hospital workers are all in masks (lot have N95s on underneath) thus limiting spread on our end. For the fire crews I have noticed in some videos the first responders keeping space amongst each other and other videos where the companies just stick together and don?t intermingle. I?m starting to think we have way more asymptomatic carriers than we first thought and an antibody rest will confirm this.

Len continue todo your fantastic work and stay healthy

This week over here a Dublin Fire Brigade FF/P passed away suddenly (non covid related) and stations all over Ireland, 1 in Toronto and 1 in Sweden have been doing a minutes silence in respect of FF/P Dave McLoughlin RIP and they all stand at the required distance of 2m.

In the UK I've noticed there's a nightly clap by Fire Crews in front of stations and they are all standing at the required distance

Im not sure how FDNY are working their riding positions on rugs. I know in Dublin the 4 FFs in the back of the Engines who all sit beside eachother are masked up for the journeys to scenes

All off station visits (apart from training) are cancelled aswell as visitors to stations and meal times are all now done with the required space

Let's hope NYC can reduce their numbers and people really take heed of social distancing. It's so important

nfd2004 said:
IRISH said:

Declan, aka "Irish", like "Len90", I can certainly understand your very valid point and concern. I also think that "Len90" answered your concern quit well.

For those who don't know, Declan is NOT just the average guy "on the outside looking in" telling NYCs heroes how wrong they are. He is a very well respected individual by many members of the FDNY. He lives on the other side of the world but always signs up to complete the "Tunnel to Towers" fundraiser.

I certainly respect his concern

I would also like to THANK "CVILLE 7111" for his most recent contribution here of "Dead on Arrival" and "STAjo" for providing that updated link.

I am also going to ask Brad, aka "signal73" for another favor in posting a photo here for me.

My sister-in-law Chris is an RN Supervising Nurse in Bridgeport (Ct) Hospitals ICU. This hospital has been hit pretty hard in dealing with the COVID19 patients. Chris, like thousands of other nurses here in this country have been saving lives on a daily basis. But now has also put their own lives, as well as their family members lives at risk.

In her case, she can no longer take her elderly mother shopping or for her regular doctors appointments due to her job and exposure COVID19. Instead her husband has taken over that job.

But with todays technology using facetime, when her husband goes to her house, he lets Chris talk to her 88 year old mother and her Mom Loves It.

Best wishes to Chris in her hospital Willy. Great people the lot of them

Bored? Tired of watching "The View"? If you're looking for something interesting to read, try master story teller Martin Middlebrook. It's like being there when the bells hit!

IRISH said:
Len continue todo your fantastic work and stay healthy

This week over here a Dublin Fire Brigade FF/P passed away suddenly (non covid related) and stations all over Ireland, 1 in Toronto and 1 in Sweden have been doing a minutes silence in respect of FF/P Dave McLoughlin RIP and they all stand at the required distance of 2m.

In the UK I've noticed there's a nightly clap by Fire Crews in front of stations and they are all standing at the required distance

Im not sure how FDNY are working their riding positions on rugs. I know in Dublin the 4 FFs in the back of the Engines who all sit beside eachother are masked up for the journeys to scenes

All off station visits (apart from training) are cancelled aswell as visitors to stations and meal times are all now done with the required space

Let's hope NYC can reduce their numbers and people really take heed of social distancing. It's so important

Thanks a lot! It's rough and I'm really hoping we start to see this situation improve.

We now have a big board in front of the cafeteria with stats for both the day and cumulative total: Extubation and Patients discharged home. Yesterday our hospital held a clap line for a monumental discharge which was a case that I had a role in. Even though we all had masks on (and a lot of us were wearing our safety goggles) you can tell it was the first time everyone has really smiled in a long time and there was not a dry eye in sight.

To Chris and Brad's wife and everyone else with me on the front lines... be safe and be smart

https://thousandpointsofright.blogspot.com/2020/04/11-firefighters-test-positive-at-bklyn.html

National Guard, Active-Duty Troops Are Assisting with Body Removals in NYC

Senior Airman Anita Walter poses for a photo outside Bellevue Hospital in New York City, April 4, 2020.
Senior Airman Anita Walter from North Tonawanda, New York, assigned to the Fatality Search and Recovery Team of the New York Air National Guard's 107th Attack Wing, poses for a photo outside Bellevue Hospital in New York City, April 4, 2020. The airmen are trained in the dignified recovery of human remains during disasters and are supporting the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of New York City as part of New York's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Sean Madden/U.S. Air National Guard)
11 Apr 2020
Military.com | By Richard Sisk
About 170 National Guard troops and 49 active-duty soldiers have taken on the grim task of assisting New York City with the removal of the growing number of bodies of those who die alone during the novel coronavirus pandemic, according to Guard officials.

"They've been involved in, and continue to be involved, unfortunately, in mortuary affairs," Air Force Gen. Joseph Lengyel, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said at a Pentagon briefing Wednesday. He was referring to the troops assisting the city's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) in the removal of "unattended" deceased.

"There is a capacity in the National Guard to deal with it," he said, as troops back up the overwhelmed ME's office by going into apartments and homes where someone has died without family or a doctor in attendance.

Lengyel said Maj. Gen. Ray Shields, adjutant general of the New York National Guard, told him that "on a normal, non-COVID sort of a day" about 25 bodies need to be removed from homes.

Related: More Than 25,000 Former Soldiers Have Now Volunteered to Return to Duty

"Those numbers are up significantly, and 150 people a day are needing to be taken" to the ME's office for examination of the cause of death, Lengyel said.

The brunt of the task has been assigned to 32 members of the Fast Search and Recovery Team (FSRT) of the Air National Guard's 107th Attack Wing, based at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, said Eric Durr, director of public affairs for the New York National Guard.

The FSRT, trained to assist in natural disasters and the recovery of personnel in chemical or biological attacks, has been assigned to assist the ME's office; they are backed up by another 140 regular Guard personnel now on duty in the city, Durr said.

In addition, 49 active-duty soldiers from the Army's 54th Quartermaster Company have been assigned to assist with mortuary affairs in the city, he added.

There is little sign that demand for National Guard assistance at the ME's office, which normally has a capacity of about 900 bodies in its morgue facilities, will taper off soon.

To deal with the overflow, the office has sent refrigerator trucks to local hospitals for temporary storage of the deceased.

At a news conference Friday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he is "cautiously optimistic" that the upward curve of new coronavirus cases in the state and city is flattening.

"The bad news is that we continue to lose a tremendous number of lives," he said.

Wednesday was the worst day in the state for coronavirus deaths, with 799 reported. That was up from 777 Thursday, the vast majority of them in New York City, Cuomo said.

New York's OCME prepared a plan in 2008 for dealing with an influenza pandemic, but the spread of COVID-19 appears to have gone beyond anything that could have been foreseen.

"The concept for managing deaths due to a [pandemic influenza] event is simple: The OCME will recover, process, and hold decedents from residential and healthcare facility locations until private sector entities are able to manage final disposition," according to the 2008 plan. But local funeral homes have been unable to handle the volume.

"The goal of this OCME response strategy is to honor life by respectfully managing one's death," the plan states.

So this evening the FDNY and NYPD visited my hospital. Video is on the NYC Fire Wire

A huge thank you to the men and women from Division 8, Bn21, E159/160/161/165, L81/85, TSU2 and NYPD 122pct.

We?re all in this together and we thank all these brave men and women for coming out and lifting our spirits