FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section

mack

Administrator
Borough Park fire Engine 247 2nd alarm

44-2859 - April 11 2018 - 19th Ave. and 63rd St:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCtpH-0LyfY

April 11, 2018, 03:19:16 PM ?

Address: 1945 63rd St. between 19th & 20th Ave.

Fire on the 2nd floor & attic of a 2? story 20x60 PD.

E-330: 10-75 the box. - 15:18

L-148 FAST

B-33: Extra E&T. (E-282 & TL-153) - 15:23

BD Transmitting the All Hands.

B-33: Transmit a 2nd Alarm. - 15:27

B-33: Fire on the 2nd floor, 2 L/S/O, DWH - 15:29

B-33: 3 L/S/O, primary searches on the first floor are negative and are delayed on the other floors. - 15:31

D-8: 4 L/S/O, DWH - 15:41

D-8: Transmit a 3rd Alarm. - 15:54

Staging: 64th St. & 20th Ave.

FC: Per D-8, 5 L/S/O, still have heavy fire on the 2nd floor & attic, DWH - 16:03

FC: Per D-8, 6 L/S/O, fire is darkening down, DWH - 16:17

FC: By the orders of D-8, transmit a 4th Alarm. - 16:22

FC: Per Car 15E, fire is darkening down, primaries on the 2nd floor are negative and in the process in the attic, DWH - 16:35

FC: Special call a new FAST truck to relieve L-148. (TL-114) - 16:37

FC: Per Car 15E, primaries throughout are negative, secondaries underway. L-3 will be the FAST truck until the arrival of TL-114. PWH - 16:49

FC: Special call 2 additional trucks. (L-122 & L-169) - 16:50

FC: Secondaries in the basement, first floor & attic are negative and will be delayed on the 2nd floor due to heavy clutter. - 16:55

FC: Per Car 3, Under Control. - 17:00

Duration: 1 hour & 46 min.

10-75/All Hands Assignment:
    E-330, 250, 276, 243, 282 s/c
    L-156, 168, 148F, 153 s/c
    B-33, 40
    R-2
    SQ-1
    D-8
    RAC-5

*TL-172 at drill. (responded later on the 3rd)

2nd Alarm:
    E-247, 281, 240
    L-147
    B-42, 48 RUL, 43 Safety
    FC, FCB, RB, SB, TSU-2
    E-284 w/ Sat. 3
    Car-15E

3rd Alarm:
    E-254, *255, 241, 242, 245
    L-172, 149
    B-41, 39 Air Recon
    E-246 Communications
    MSU
    Car-22F, 23D, 12B

*E-255 involved in an MVA at E. 7 & Ave K while responding.

4th Alarm:
    E-15 (act. 201), 248, 321, 318
    L-157, 3 (act. 168), 114F s/c, 122 s/c, 169 s/c
    B-39 (act. 41)
    Car-6, 24B, 12, 3, 3A

Watchline at 18:45:
    E-220

Some Relocations:
    E-234 to E-330
    E-201 to E-276
    E-235 to E-247
    E-15 to E-201
    E-323 to E-243
    E-161 to E-242
    E-331 to E-246
    E-293 to E-284
    E-163 to E-201
    L-166 to H&L-147
    L-3 to L-168
    L-102 to L-148
    L-11 to L-168
    TL-1 to TL-153
    TL-142 to TL-172
    TL-124 to TL-157
    B-44 to B-33
    B-7 to B-40
    B-39 to B-41
    B-37 to B-48
    B-46 to B-43

mack

Administrator
Borough Park fire Engine 247 1st due

5/7/2019 Brooklyn Box 2564 All Hands  May 07, 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSgi0ka_mY

1315 54th Street

0200 Phone Alarm - Basement fire in a synagogue

E247 10-75 fire in the basement
    BC42 has the fire
    L149 FAST

Primaries negative

mack

Administrator
Engine 210 firehouse 160 Carlton Avenue  Ft. Greene, Brooklyn  Division 11, Battalion 31  ?Ft. Greene Bravest?

Engine 10 BFD organized 160 Carlton Avenue former volunteer firehouse                                      1869
    Engine 10 BFD became Engine 10 FDNY                                                                                      1898
    Engine 10 became Engine 110                                                                                                    1899
    Engine 110 moved 189 Vanderbilt Avenue                                                                                    1912
    Engine 110 became Engine 210                                                                                                  1913
    Engine 210 new firehouse 160 Carlton Avenue                                                                            1913
    Engine 210 moved 26 Hooper Street at Engine 211                                                                      2001
    Engine 210 returned 160 Carlton Avenue                                                                                    2002

Rescue 2 organized 160 Carlton Avenue at Engine 210                                                                1925
    Rescue 2 moved 365 Jay Street                                                                                                  1929
    Rescue 2 returned 160 Carlton Avenue at Engine 210                                                                  1946
    Rescue 2 moved 1472 Bergen Street                                                                                          1985

Ladder 69 organized 47-48 Washington Avenue at Engine 151                                                      1901
    Ladder 69 became Ladder 119                                                                                                  1913
    Ladder 119 moved 160 Carlton Avenue at Engine 210                                                                  1941
    Ladder 119 new firehouse 26 Hooper Street w/Engine 211                                                          1944

Pre-Brooklyn Fire Department:

Volunteer Engine 9 Continental  located 160 Carlton Avenue.  Disbanded 1869.

Brooklyn Fire Department:     

ENGINE COMPANY NO. 10 - A TRAINING-SCHOOL FOR FIREMEN

The annals of Engine No. 10 show that beside excellent discipline and hard work a single fire-company may do a great deal for the good of the entire Department through the careful training of the individual firemen.  Engine Company No. 10 had done that long before it came under the present pay system.  As No. 9 in the Volunteer Department, it was a ?training-school" for firemen, and turned out good men, as their subsequent records show. The " school" has not changed its location for many years, as the Volunteer No. 9 occupied for a long time the house on Carlton Avenue, near Myrtle, that is now the house of No. 10, and save for its slightly antique arrangements is as serviceable as ever.

It is doubtful if there is a more important fire district in Brooklyn than District 4, which calls Engine No. 10 in the first-alarms.  Part of the district is occupied by costly residences, and there are also many churches and public buildings in it.  Many of the largest buildings are anything but fireproof, and if once well started burning would make great fires.  In many of the big flat-houses in the district live hundreds of persons whose lives are constantly dependent upon the prompt action of the firemen, and in such case never has Engine No. 10 been found lacking in either promptitude or energy.

Since Engine No. 10 was reorganized under the pays system, she has had six Foremen, William HARRIS, Charles MCDONOUGH, W.A. BEARDALL, Peter FARRELL, James F. MURRAY and James GANNON, the present Foreman.  MCDONOUGH and BEARDALL have retired, but all the rest are in active service and are excellent firemen.  At nearly all the big fires that have occurred in Brooklyn since 1873, No. 10 has done noticeably good work. 

At the burning in 1873, of the big storehouses owned by Woodruff & Robinson at the foot of Conover Street, No. 10 was on hand promptly and for sixty hours, with but one relief of six hours, the engine, an Amoskeag that was then only a year old, pumped steadily at the big blaze.  Almost every minute of the working time-54 hours-the men were in danger of their lives from the possibility of the fall of the lofty walls.  Toward the last of the blaze Fireman BENNETT who occupied a position near one wall that was evidently cracking was called, back by the Foreman and his fellow-firemen.  He rushed backward just as the wall began to topple toward him, but he was a little too late and the rumbling bricks knocked him down.  When he was taken out it was thought that his injuries would prove fatal, but after some time in the hospital he recovered.  During the last hours of the work at this fire, the men of No. 10 were so blackened by smoke and worn out by the long hours of continuous work, that it was not for several days that they recovered either their complexions or their natural strength and activity. 

The burning of the Havemeyer & Elder sugar refinery .at the foot of North Second Street, Jan. 13, 1881, was another event that brought out the good qualities of Engine No. 10.  The alarm was sent in shortly after four in the afternoon and the fireboat "Seth Low"  pumped millions of gallons of water onto the big building, the land  forces were kept at work until the next morning at seven o'clock.

During all the night No. 10 held a dangerous position near the enormous building, which was one mass of flames within the lofty walls that bulged threateningly but did not drive the men belonging to Engine No. 10 from their work, although several of them had narrow escapes from falling timbers and masonry.

All of the good work done by No. 10 has not been confined to the saving of property.  When fire started in the bakery on St. Mark's Avenue, near Albany, and adjoining St. John's Home, the men of No. 10 worked faster and with more energy than even usual with them.  In the Home which is under the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum, there were more than five hundred destitute boys, none older than fourteen years and many not three years old.  The flames from the bakery extended to the Home, and three alarms were sent out at once.  The thirty-six Sisters of Charity that had the care of the little ones aided the firemen in preserving the little children from panic or death in the flames.  The men of No. 10 were among the first to enter the Home, where the children stood in frightened groups.  Fortunately the fire was in the rear and the little orphans were able to march out of the front doors between the lines of big firemen.  Many of the smallest of the children were carried out by men from No. 10.  After the children were taken out the fire was subdued in good season.

When an engine working at a fire comes so near being burnt up herself that water has to be pumped on her instead of the burning building, the fact should be an excellent proof of the class of work that engine-company does. Such an incident occurred to Engine No. 10 at the burning of Palmer's cooperage on Kent Avenue on the first day of June, 1891.  Engineer William F. KINGSLAND had just settled down to the working of the engine when flames shot out from the building and hemmed the engine in between it and the river, drove the men away, though Engineer KINGSLAND stuck as long as he could and, reaching the engine, burned off the tongue and set the wheels ablaze.  Nothing saved her from destruction but a deluge of water from neighboring engines, which was kept up till the fire was over, and the horses could be brought down to drag away the charred and blackened machine.

At this fire Engine No. 15 was entirely destroyed in much the same manner that No. 10 was damaged.  Had it not been for the thorough discipline and the presence of mind of the men of No. 10 there would have been several of them burned to death at the Smith, Gray & Co. fire that occurred in Feb, 1892, in the big building at the corner of Flatbush and Fulton Avenues. The fire was in the basement when No. 10's crew entered the building with their pipe.  After a few hours' work it was evident that the fire was deeply rooted, but the men were so busy working that they did not notice the clouds of smoke that were pouring up from the floor behind them until they were almost overpowered. Foreman GANNON ordered the crew to quit work and run for their lives. 

There was no time to haul out the hose and it looked for a few minutes as though the half-suffocated men were not going to find their way through the black wall of smoke that was between them and the outer doors.  Foreman GANNON decided to make a rush, trusting to his knowledge of the building to point him in the right direction.  His men dropped the hose and followed.  After what seemed hours to the men, who were holding their breath lest they should inhale the deadly smoke, shouts from outside guided them to the safe exit, and with parched throats and blackened faces they stumbled out into fresh air.  In the history of Engine No. 10 there are many instances of such thrilling work and narrow escapes, but the training of the men and the discipline of the company has stood in good stead and serious accidents to the men are rare.

Foreman JAMES GANNON is among the oldest of the firemen now in the service of the Department.  He is under middle height, but his frame shows that his strength is greater than ordinary.  He was born in Brooklyn on Dec. 24, 1845, and was in the old a Volunteer Fire Department for five years and six months before the establishment of the new Department.  Mr. GANNON was a member of Engine No. 12, of the old Department, and was appointed from that engine to No. 10.  On March 1 1887 he was promoted to the position of Assistant Foreman and in June, 1891, was made Foreman.  His work as a fireman has proved his fitness for the position, and although a very quiet and reserved man, he is popular with all the men under him.

Assistant Foreman WILLIAM H. BROWN, JR. was born in New York City Sept 18 1862, and appointed to Engine No. 10 in 1887.  He is a cool, careful fireman with a good future before him and a good record in the past.  He was promoted to his present rank Feb. 13, 1892.

Engineer WILLIAM F. KINGSLAND was born in Brooklyn, Jan. n. 1847 and was appointed Dec. 21, 1872.  He has shown in many instances that he knows what his duties are and how to perform them.  On Feb. 15, 1891 he was promoted to the rank engineer.

VALENTINE HENDRICKSON was born in Brooklyn in 1847, and appointed to Engine No. 10 April 1, 1881.

ANDREW W. BERTH was born in Brooklyn, Oct. 22, 1857.  He was appointed April 7, 1885.

JOHN J. MULLALY was born in Ireland, March 25, 1849, and came to America when a young man, entering the Department in April, 1878

JOHN FEENEY was born in Ireland, in 1842.  He came to this country and served a term in the U. S. Navy, later entering the Department, May 3, 1870

ENRY F. MAGUIRE was born in Brooklyn, Feb. 22, l866, and was appointed to Engine No. 10, Feb. 11, 1891.

JOHN J. MULDARY was born in Brooklyn, Jan. n, 1862, and was appointed April 26, 1886.

FRANCIS P. CREIGHTON was born in Brooklyn, Sept. 15, 1857, joining the Fire Department  March 3, 1883.

EDWARD SHAUGHNESSEY was born in Greenwich, Conn., on St. Patrick's Day 1844. He was made a fireman on Dec. 11, 1873.

(From ?Our firemen: the official history of the Brooklyn Fire Department, from the first volunteer to the latest appointee?)

mack

Administrator
Engine 210 (continued)

Engine 210 members early 1900s::

160 Carlton Avenue firehouse:

Rescue 2 160 Carlton Avenue 1930s:

Chief visit 160 Carlton Avenue 1940s:

Rescue 2 returns 160 Carlton Avenue 1946:

mack

Administrator
Engine 210 (continued)

Engine 210:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa2x4WTh548

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mydC8VchslM 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flus-Mfg1CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSFHVs1Qz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZyFaRfCAv0

mack

Administrator
Engine 210 (continued)

Engine 210 rescue 1913:

Engine 210 medals:

ALL MEMBERS ENG. 210 1920 1921 FIRE COLLEGE

ROBERT G. LIND FF. ENG. 210 JUL. 22, 1971 1972 THIRD ALARM

ENGINE 210 MEMBERS FEB. 15, 2013 2014 CURRAN BURN CENTER

mack

Administrator
Engine 210 (continued)

Engine 210 Open House 2015:

https://bklyner.com/photos-fdny-open-house-day-at-engine-210-fortgreene/

Ft. Greene:

The neighborhood is named after an American Revolutionary War era fort that was built in 1776 under the supervision of General Nathanael Greene of Rhode Island.[4] General Greene aided General George Washington during the Battle of Long Island in 1776.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Greene,_Brooklyn

Ft. Greene 1937:

Ft. Greene 2019:

Engine Co 210 will ALWAYS BE SPECIAL TO ME. It is where I got my first introduction to the FDNY, by a member of that company (Tony Tuddini - spelling ?). He was visiting family members in Connecticut and as a young guy, I was working in a drug store that he stopped in. We started talking and he told me he was a NYC Firefighter assigned to Eng 210. He told me they also had the Rescue (Rescue 2) in quarters with them on Carlton Ave.

That was way back in the summer of 1968. Nobody knew it then, but the very busy FDNY War Years were just beginning. None of us also didn't know that the visit to that firehouse and the welcoming a of young "wanna be" would start what changed his life for years and decades to come.

I am forever grateful to FF Tony T., Engine Co 210 for what he and the members of that firehouse did for both myself, and shortly after, my brother too. We NEVER forgot it and we STILL Talk About It.

THANK YOU.

mack

Administrator
nfd2004 said:
Engine Co 210 will ALWAYS BE SPECIAL TO ME. It is where I got my first introduction to the FDNY, by a member of that company (Tony Tuddini - spelling ?). He was visiting family members in Connecticut and as a young guy, I was working in a drug store that he stopped in. We started talking and he told me he was a NYC Firefighter assigned to Eng 210. He told me they also had the Rescue (Rescue 2) in quarters with them on Carlton Ave.

That was way back in the summer of 1968. Nobody knew it then, but the very busy FDNY War Years were just beginning. None of us also didn't know that the visit to that firehouse and the welcoming a of young "wanna be" would start what changed his life for years and decades to come.

I am forever grateful to FF Tony T., Engine Co 210 for what he and the members of that firehouse did for both myself, and shortly after, my brother too. We NEVER forgot it and we STILL Talk About It.

THANK YOU.

Rescue 2 160 Carlton Avenue:

nfd2004 said:

THANK YOU.
The FF Willy posted about is (now Ret) FF Tony Tadduni, aka Nino, aka Tad, a good guy / Friend / great Chef / Senior FF in 210 while i was in R*2 on Carlton Ave ....he also did my taxes for about 25 yrs....his Son is a LT in DV*15.

mack

Administrator
68jk09 said:
nfd2004 said:

THANK YOU.
The FF Willy posted about is (now Ret) FF Tony Tadduni, aka Nino, aka Tad, a good guy / Friend / great Chef / Senior FF in 210 while i was in R*2 on Carlton Ave ....he also did my taxes for about 25 yrs....his Son is a LT in DV*15.

COLUMBIA NEWS SERVICE  JULY 7, 1992

Firehouse Chefs Serve Up Haute Cuisine

by JESSICA SIEGEL - COLUMBIA NEWS SERVICE

Chicken Cordon Bleu will be on the menu tonight. At La Caravelle? At Lutece? At Chanterelle? Absolument!

But it will also grace the table of Firehouse 210 in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn. Nino Tadduni is cooking tonight.

Firefighter/chefs have a reputation in New York. Maybe it's a bit of folklore, like alligators in the sewers. Or maybe it's true--ask a firefighter.

"You want to taste great cooking?" asked Paul Yodice, currently working at the Fire Museum after being injured. "Go to my old firehouse--check out Nino's cooking."

Tadduni is in the kitchen sharpening his knives. Fit, with short, wiry gray hair, his face suggests a combination of Rod Steiger and Carroll O'Connor. He wears a blue short-sleeved golf shirt with a Fire Department insignia over the pocket, a long-sleeved black T-shirt under it, blue pants and heavy black lace-up boots.

He slits the chicken breasts, opening them into angels' wings, and pounds them out. He mixes a batter--"three eggs and just a drop of milk, just a drop." He never seems flustered.

"I never cooked till I came here, 29 years ago," he said. "There was a bunch of cooks. I watched, I experimented on my own. I even called my mother for advice."

Tadduni is not the only star chef the New York City Fire Department has. John Sineno, a newly retired firefighter, put together "The Firefighter's Cookbook," published by Vintage in 1986, which has sold nearly 150,000 copies and landed on The New York Times Bestsellers' list for a month.

He culled recipes from firefighters all over New York--from Tony Catapano's fillet of flounder with shrimp stuffing to Lt. T. Faherty's shrimp creole a la Faherty to Sineno's own stuffed green peppers with red sauce. There's also candied sweet potatoes, Nan's Irish soda bread and Amaretto cheesecake.

Tadduni, 52, didn't plan to join the Fire Department. He had been working in his father's butcher shop in Brooklyn when a man in the neighborhood signed him up for the firefighter's test. "That guy did me some favor," he said, dropping the batter-covered chicken into hot margarine. "This is the best job in the world."

Despite the inevitable ribbing from the guys--"Hey, Nino, you forgot the Italian pastry"--the men give him four-star reviews. "Nino comes in, he cooks a lot, it tastes great and it ends up costing $3," said one firefighter outside of his hearing.

Inevitably, as the water for the pasta is coming to a rolling boil, bells ring and sirens go off. Everyone springs from his position, runs for his 40-pound coat, his helmet, his boots. Tadduni revs up the motor on the fire engine, everyone jumps into his place and they're off.

This time it is only a small fire on the subway tracks at Bergen Street. Four other companies answer the call and one says they can handle it. The 210 heads back to the firehouse.

As the pasta starts to boil, Tadduni talks. "We used to have big heavy meals for lunch--eggplant Parmesan, veal Parmesan. Now the guys watch what they eat. I use margarine instead of butter. They have a weight room upstairs. A lot of guys are cutting back on red meat."

"Yeah," said a voice from the other room, "one guy doesn't eat pork, one doesn't eat beef, some don't eat fish. What we're left with is chicken."

This night the men partake of chicken Cordon Bleu, pasta, carrots, salad and Italian bread. They fly off to a fire once more before dinner and six times after.

Sitting around, drinking coffee after dinner, waiting for the next bell to sound, Tadduni talks about cooking. "When I make something, I make it up as I go along. I know the end result that I want and I aim for it." At home, he rarely cooks. "My wife is a great cook."

"The fame of firemen as great cooks extends far and wide," said Bob McCarl, a folklorist and ethnographer who has studied firefighters in seven states. "It's not surprising. Like loggers or the guys who work on tugboats--hard work, long hours and a lot of isolation--it's only natural for someone to develop as a good cook. They're all like the guy who ran the chuck wagon on cattle drives."

68jk09 said:
1982....  http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/attachment/download/44

In that photo, the brownstone shown (exposure 4) is vacant with HUD sealed windows.
It was built in 1899 and has since been renovated. It is now for sale.
The asking price?  3.1 million.

When i went to R*2 in '77 the above mentioned exp 4 B'stone was occupied...i became vacant a few years after...vandals & bldg strippers made short work of it as quite often the FH was empty ....soon there was a major water leakage inside it as plumbing had been removed...this was actually noticed when the bldgs basement filled with so much water that it started coming thru the thick bldg wall & thru the FH wall causing water to appear on the FH cellar floor....we had one the then "Model Cities" Fire Salvage Unit special called to pump the B'stone basement water level low enough for us to access the "lead bend" where the water entered & pounded it flat stemming the incoming water flow & a day or so later DEP dug up the street & cut service...the bldg was later secured as seen in the '82 photo....it remained that way (full of the original furniture & trash) for quite awhile after we left in '85 to move to 1472 Bergen St.... on a side note ...after the bldg was secured (while we were still there) ... "mysteriously" one night a doorway "appeared" in the rearmost sidewall of the FH giving access to the fenced in rear yard of the B'stone & after "planting & watering" a nice area grew with an awning & picnic table & a BBQ grill... we had no yard or outside area before that....i imagine after the B'stone was rehabbed the access door became history....as i had stated in a previous post on the FDNY Dive Team we had at one point invited the big wheels down to float the idea of using eminent domain for the City to tear down the both vacant's exp 4 & 4A  & make another FH Bay to eliminate the piggy backed Rigs as well as additional room for the SCUBA gear as well as the various new pieces of equipment that were being introduced....they agreed we needed more room but did not want to go with our idea... that is how the '85 move to another FH came about.... exp 4A had been vacant & had cinder blocked windows & doors...it had been that way since most of the guys there could remember ....one time we came back from a run & we noticed that miscreants (probably bldg strippers) had knocked out enough cinder blocks to be able to squeeze inside...we thought it would be a good opportunity to go exploring...it stunk inside & the floors were dry rotted with holes & there were several rat skeletons visible in the first room alone....the idea was abandoned ...this is what probably dissuaded the strippers from entering ....not too long after the cinder blocks were replaced...awhile later there was an auction for the exp 4A bldg w/out any offer of an inside inspection ... we were naively laughing having seen a little of the interior....it went for 10 Grand ....the buyer later failed to cough up & soon after it was auctioned again this time it went for 5 Grand & the buyer sat on it until well after we moved away...in this photo which was from one of the protests when the City in their "supposed" fiscal crisis threatened to close 210 (note the Door painted in anticipation of the Bi Centennial) you can see the cinder blocked EXP 4A  https://postimg.cc/tZVDhyLy  across Carlton Ave from exp 4A was a Frame bldg with a typical B'Stone layout...this became empty when the older owner died...the bldg was locked but unoccupied (i guess while the estate was settled of whatever) it did not stay locked up long...one night R*2 & 210 were at a job nearby....we were returning to Qtrs & as we tried to turn off Willoughby onto Carlton it looked like a street fair in the dark between the FH & Myrtle Ave...there were some cars backed up in the block who could not or dared not try & get through ....the street light overhead  lamp in front of the FH had been smashed ...there seemed to be some sort of things being scaled back & forth between the participants & also at cars passing Carlton on Myrtle...we called for PD & they responded immediately & the first Unit gave a 13 ...what happened was kids (& some older than kids ) from the projects on the corner had broken into the old fellows house & i don't  know what else was taken but the things being scaled like frisbees all around were this deceased fellows life long enormous record collection....the next morning a Sanitation Sweeper had to come & clean up & down the block as well as across Myrtle...a fu<<kin shame...there was a Bodega on the S/E corner of Myrtle & Carlton (the back lot being exp 2 to this B'Stone layout type frame...the owners later actually bought the ransacked bldg & demo'ed it expanding the size of there back lot...this particular Bodega was more of a legitimate small super market however on the South Side of Myrtle Ave (opposite the projects)  bet Carlton Ave & going West toward Washington Park out of the roughly 10 stores 6 at any given time were Bodegas with a very small visible inventory on the shelves (in between getting shutdown by the PD & or DEA) ...a block away on the N/E corner of Myrtle Ave & Adelphi St was a food market called "Farmer In The Dell" (a word take off on Deli) ....i am sure any Former NYPD 84 or 88 Pct fellows on here remember it ...always NYPD guys there for lunch ...if us & 210 were at a job or Drill & missed a chance to make lunch this was the place we went...one story about this place & my good friend & excellent Chef Nino Tadunni 210 was that Nino's meals were great however from time to time he made Chili...(straight up no rice or anything).... as i was growing up in Manhattan my Sainted Irish Mother only used the word "Chilly" when the coal furnace was going out...no one was ever out of a meal back then & i was not going to be the first one...out of Respect to Nino when he made it of course i stayed in & paid but i did run around to "Farmer In The Dell" & get a Ham & Swiss Hero & dipped it into Ninos Chile with each bite....funny..  years later i started to eat Chili but always with rice...as i said before my Mom was a great cook in her own style but so many others OTJ influenced an expansion of my taste's ...Mom did not use garlic (& i guess at one point in my life i was scared of of it i don't know why ? ...heartburn ? ..whatever i just had not eaten it at home )....Nino & another Senior 210 FF Al Confessore  both used it but most times not too extreme & i got a taste for it ...PS in a picture above... the 210 Helmet w/ Badge 8412 belonged Al Confessore RIP....Al grew up in an Orphanage & was raised by ItalianNuns ....when he would cook he would always say this reminds me of getting up  Sunday & saying "Sister I knew it was Sunday when you cooked" ....some great times there & some sad times .

mack

Administrator
Supervising Engineer Unit 1  Welfare Island                          DISBANDED
Supervising Engineer Unit 2  Pier A                                      DISBANDED

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 organized                                        1889
    Supervising Engineer Unit 1 disbanded                                        1960

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 - one section located at Engine 5 and second section located at Rescue 2 in 1939 - later moved to Welfare Island

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 was responsible to determine if apparatus and equipment operated effectively.  Also supervised special units without officers at multiple alarms (water towers, searchlight units). It responded to 2nd alarms in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx and to 3rd alarms in Staten Island. Supervising Engineer Unit 1 was disbanded in 1960.

Supervising Engineer Unit 2 was organized to determine if fireboats and marine equipment operated effectively.  Supervising Engineer Unit 2 operated from
          the Marine Repair Shop, Engine 86, and later from Pier A.  Supervising Engineer Unit 2 was disbanded in 1959.

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 firehouse (former quarters Engine 49) Welfare Island

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 - FDNY Organization Chart 1959 - Special Unit:

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 - Description 1957:

Fire Engineering 8/1/1957

Specialization Keynotes Operations of Supervising Engineer Units  -  08/01/1957
    By THOMAS D. RYAN CAPTAIN, Supervising Engineer

Specialization Keynotes Operations of Supervising Engineer Units

A detailed analysis and description of the duties and operations of New York's Supervising Engineer Company No. 1

INDUSTRY AND MANAGEMENT have recognized the fact that this is an era of specialization and from the standpoint of efficiency, it is wise policy on their part to endeavor to find the right man for the right job. Furthermore, the quality and quantity of this individual?s work output will be considerably enhanced if he has a working knowledge of those operations related, directly or indirectly, with his specialty. In short, for each special job operation they seek the man who possesses specialized skill, and in addition, what is generally termed ?a well-rounded background.?

Of late, progressive fire officials in increasing numbers have recognized this cardinal principle in their selection of men for specialized activities or units. No longer is proficiency in automotive mechanics the sole criteria in choosing driver-operators of pumpers (variously called motor and pump operators). While possession of such automotive knowledge and skill is a definite asset, candidate selection must also take into account such qualifications as a working knowledge of practical hydraulics, pump theory and operation, skill at the wheel and, because of the burden of the operator?s heavy responsibilities, correct driving attitudes and habits.

Applying this thought to another branch of the fire service, men assigned to rescue squads need far more than a working knowledge of first aid. The situations they encounter prescribe the use of cutting torches, heavy-duty rescue equipment and a variety of special tools as well as resuscitators, masks, etc.

Today we find a greater number of specialist personnel and specialized units being established whose duty, regardless of rank, is mainly supervisory. It is with one such group?that of Supervising Engineer Company No. 1 of the New York City Fire Department?that this article deals.

Because of its accomplishments, the work load of the unit has constantly been expanded, its quota of personnel increased and its physical facilities improved during recent years under the leadership of the department?s progressive fire commissioner, Edward F. Cavanagh, Jr., and its far-sighted chief of department, Edward Connors. The unit itself is incorporated in the Division of Firefighting Equipment which, in turn, is commanded by Chief Supervising Engineer Harry M. Irwin.

Organization and background:

The department?s records disclose that the unit was originally established some 67 years ago, on June 6, 1889 to be exact, when Department Order No. 7 designated two members as supervisory engineers with the duty of responding to all third alarms ?to supervise the working of all engines at fires and to give such instructions as they may deem necessary for proper handling as well as for best delivery of water.? These original men in the unit were informed that ?cannel coal of the purest grade will not clinker on grate bars, when used in the furnace of the boiler.? They were further instructed to make special mention in their reports of all cases ?where the coal is found to clinker, stating to what extent and its effect on the steaming of the boiler.? Stemming from such unique and antiquated responsibilities, the unit?s fire operations and other duties have been expanded to such an extent that today it occupies a key post in the over-all plan of the department.

At present the staff of Supervising Engineer Company No. 1 comprises 16 members, including one captain, four lieutenants and 11 firemen. Unit No. 2 in the Marine Division, is mainly concerned with repairs to our fireboats and is not assigned to respond to alarms, although it may be called in an emergency.

Actual engineering background on a formal basis is not a prerequisite for members in order to be assigned to Unit 1. Instead, the emphasis is placed on ability in practical situations, with the men possessing qualifications not commonly developed in the firefighting personnel.

First, its members must be endowed with mechanical aptitude above the average and more than ordinary knowledge of physics, particularly in the field of applied mechanics. Considerable and varied backgrounds in firefighting are desirable assets which are gained through assignments to different fire stations, including both engine and ladder companies. While a definite period of experience cannot be stipulated, since some men mature more quickly than others, it is preferable that applicants have several years behind them, in order to face up to some of the situations the unit encounters. Present policy dictates that men should not be transferred into the unit until their backgrounds and records have been examined and they have had an observation period of several months to determine whether or not they measure up to the required standards, and whether they adapt themselves to the wide variety of work and the heavy workloads.

Because of the highly specialized nature of the work, its officer personnel for the most part have graduated from the rank of fireman in the unit. It is manifestly unfair to take an officer whose experience has been mainly in one specific company in the department and expect him to show immediate familiarity with all types of apparatus and equipment. In the New York Fire Department there are over 800 pieces of apparatus including 129 different kinds. Even confining this topic to aerial trucks and pumpers, we find over 25 different types or makes.

In order to keep ?on its toes? and overcome the element of forgetfulness, besides the field training program, mentioned later on, a daily drill session is held, using the apparatus in the shops for repairs. The unit is quartered in the same building as the shops of the Division of Repairs and Transportation.

To supplement their broad practical backgrounds, each officer of the unit has been given specialized training in methods of teaching, with particular stress on the proper conduct of classes and drills. Besides standardizing the methods of instruction and the operation of each piece of equipment, officer personnel have attended various outside fire schools and conferences.

In addition to instructional and maintenance manuals covering all pieces of fire apparatus presently in service in the department which are contained in the office of the supervising engineer, the unit makes fullest use of the department?s extensive reference library located in the same building. All published data bearing upon the manufacture, maintenance and operation of the department?s varied equipment is studied for new and progressive ideas which may be incorporated in the unit?s instructional material.

Unit has many duties:

While appropriately and primarily the unit is concerned with apparatus and water supply, the duties of its staff at a fire or emergency may range from such ordinary assignment as giving a progress report over the radio for the chief in charge, to assisting a company or commanding a group in holding a difficult position.

As previously mentioned the Supervising Engineer Unit covers the entire city on: (a) Second or greater alarms; (b) wherever special apparatus is used; (c) all unusual incidents.
Its members first report to the chief in charge with information on the water supply, as follows: (a) The sizes of water mains being used; (b) nearby larger mains, if any; (c) hydrant pressures, both static and residual; (d) other unusual factors affecting operations. With this information at hand, it is frequently possible to spot pumpers more intelligently in order to take advantage of larger size or cross-connected mains and thereby avoid what is termed ?running away from the water.? These factors pertaining to water supply are, of course, ascertained on approach to the fire scene. Apropos of this, members have through experience become familiar with problems which are peculiar to certain sections of this city and so in many cases are able to suggest solutions to circumvent them. As a concrete example, following the disastrous 11-alarm fire in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn in 1955, it was found that, although Brooklyn and New York were consolidated nearly 60 years ago, the water mains of the adjoining boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn had never been cross-connected at this point. As a result, the tremendous flow of water through the single Brooklyn feed main increased friction losses to a point where pumpers were operating near a zero intake pressure. In the event of a similar fire in this area, it would have been necessary to relay water from one water main system across the borough boundary line to the other mains. Following the unit?s investigation, a large specially valved cross connection has been installed by the Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity at a point in this area where the two boroughs join. Thus, in the event of a serious fire, water can readily be diverted across the boundary line.

In addition, maps of the layouts of mains in certain parts of the city are provided by city agencies and carried on the unit?s apparatus. These are consulted while responding, particularly if the fire is gaining headway, as gleaned from the radio progress reports. Because of such foreknowledge, it was practicable at the nine-alarm lumber yard fire in Jamaica, Queens, to locate pumpers on a large feed main some two blocks distant from the fire and more effectively supply water to the pumpers nearer the fire.

At fires a continual check is maintained on available pressures on the mains and, as indicated, pumpers are either positioned on other mains of greater capacity or emergency crews of the two city water agencies are called to open up additional valves or to cut in additional pumps to build up lagging pressures.

A quick analysis of all these factors affecting water supply is given to the ranking officer at the fire when reporting in, and at least one member of the unit remains nearby for consultation in assigning incoming companies to the most advantageous positions for their apparatus, indicating which pumper should be used for the shortest stretch and most efficient operation, and coordinating all companies involved in any relay operations. The other members of the unit generally split up in order to make the rounds quickly and check all working apparatus.

Checking apparatus:

In the inspection of each piece of apparatus, all major points of its operation are carefully covered, including:

The motor?generally through observation of its dash controls
              Temperatures: Proper operating range, correct usage of direct or indirect cooling systems
              Ignition systems: Generator, alternator, rectifier, battery, proper usage of selector switches for ignition and accessories
              Oil pressures: As indication of trouble in motor lubrication system
              Gas and oil: Sufficient for present and anticipated needs
              Motor speeds: Tachometer reading indicates whether or not motor is exceeding the speed range wherein it delivers its maximum horsepower output
              The fire pumps?The inspection starts in the cab to see that road drive is disengaged and the transmission stick is locked in the proper gear. It then encompasses:
              Proper position of stage valves, A and B valves, series-parallel valve, cross-over valve or whatever term is used
              Churn valve: Loss of efficiency is prevented by its correct usage
              Governor or relief valve: Must be working properly and correctly set
              Pump pressures?Operating pressures are checked in order to prevent injury to personnel and provide most efficient streams.
              Stretching of lines?Efforts are directed towards preventing laying of hose unnecessarily. Where possible, the apparatus is used in making the stretch.
              Placing of apparatus?All apparatus must be advantageously positioned for immediate or possible usage. If it is definitely not to be used, it is removed out of the path of traffic.

Drafting operations:

The technicalities of drafting operations, especially when of considerable magnitude, with falling tides, foul water, etc., may test the resources and skill of any municipal fire force. At such times close and efficient supervision of operations is essential.

Standpipe, sprinkler, yard hydrant and foam supply systems:

Because of their technical nature and the magnitude and complexity of involvement, the job of insuring safe and effective operation of such systems is generally delegated to the supervising engineering unit. A notable example was the situation created when a plane crashed into the 79th floor of the Empire State Building, causing a break in the standpipe riser below the fire floor. The break was quickly discovered and that section of the riser isolated and water by-passed around the break, largely through the efforts of the officer in charge of the supervising engineer unit at the time.

Before leaving the scene of any fire, a final cheek is made by unit personnel of the apparatus in operation. To prevent unnecessary tie-up of vehicular traffic, a survey is made of hose lines and where advisable, these as well as pumpers, are shifted to open up thoroughfares. A final report is then made to the chief in charge and the unit returns to quarters.

Dewatering:

Every metropolitan fire department is called upon at some time to assist in dewatering buildings, underpasses, etc., with resultant complications which may imperil men or apparatus. This task of supervising such details usually falls to the lot of the supervising unit. Such was the case when New York City?s fire commissioner and chief of department heeded the call for assistance from flood stricken Danbury, Conn., a year ago. In this emergency the unit?s personnel supervised the mechanics of the entire lengthy dewatering operation.

Probably the most protracted and extensive dewatering job ever undertaken by a fire department was that involving the Wanamaker Building and Manhattan?s subways a year ago. The supervising engineering unit was up to its Plimsoll mark, literally and figuratively, in this operation which saw the removal of over 81 million gallons of water and the inundated subways restored to service.

Building collapse:

Any building collapse, whether as a result of fire, explosion or other causes, usually involves technical problems of coping with gas, water and electricity, and their possible bearing upon the rescue of persons. Here, also, the unit may be called to utilize its special facilities and talents. This was demonstrated in the memorable Amsterdam Avenue tenement collapse of 1947 which took 37 lives. The unit?s personnel operated with members of fire and other rescue units for many hours.

Special post-fire tests:

Frequently explosive fires and other emergencies call for post emergency tests and experiments, such as checking on water flow and injuries to standpipe and related extinguishing systems. This is another field in which tire supervising engineers may be called in. This occurred following the Holland Tunnel fire of some years ago, when hydrostatic and flow tests were run on the tunnel?s standpipe system. As a result of disclosures, a new operating procedure was formulated to fight any future similar fires in the shaft.

Many miscellaneous tasks:

Over the years the unit has functioned in many other activities, including such details as testing various departmental equipment and new inventions; directing various relay operations; filling a swimming pool in the upper stories of a settlement house; restoring heating plants to operation; isolating breaks in water supply systems and assisting in bridging such breaks; participating in Civil Defense operations, etc.

In looking back over the number and variety of the tasks performed, one recalls the statement of a top official of the department in discussing the unit?s expanding work load; ?They?re jacks of all trades?and masters of them, too.?

Supervising Engineer Unit 1 LODD:

FF PAUL R. CADY JANUARY 13, 1960

FF Paul R. Cady died January 13, 1960 as a result of injuries sustained in the line of duty January 10, 1960.  FF Cady was a 29 year veteran.

RIP.  Never forget.